For the weight-educated chazzers

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Last weekend we went to an AKC show and I had a woman come up to me and inform me my dog was too thin and I really needed to feed him more.

This is my dog.

I rarely let these things get to me but this time it did.

Humbug. I am still slightly bitter. I know several on here have griped about this before so I thought I'd share. Anyone else run into this lately?

RD

Are you dead yet?
Your dog is thin. Chances are, her dog is a show dog and his double chin jiggles while he gaits.

I think Backup looks good.

Saeleofu

He looks great!

I was lurecoursing with the boys today, and you'd be surprised how many FAT dogs were there. Of course the sighthounds that course regularly were in good condition, but AT LEAST half, if not more, of the CAT dogs were fat. Some VERY fat. There was a sealyham that was an absolute tub of lard and would only run about 150 yards at a time. It's painful to watch.

I used to get skinny comments on my dogs, but not so much lately. Part of it is that Logan is heavier now (he was skinny up until a few months ago when he finally started putting weight on and keeping it on) and Gavroche is more muscular. Part of it is that the people I hang out with dog-wise (except for at work -_-) are also strict about their dogs' weight because they're also active in a variety of sports/work with their dogs.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I feel your pain. :( Today I had someone at Bass Pro ask Jayne, "Aw, poor boy, why are you so skinny?"

Uh.....

... he's not skinny... o_O

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
*sigh* Don't you just love it? Just imagine the fatty she has stuffed in a crate somewhere. That should help you let it roll off you.

I suspect I will be told Keeva is too skinny at this UKC show I'm going to. And I am not looking forward to her first AKC event, considering that somebody called her sire "emaciated" when he was around her age and slightly HEAVIER than she is now. Yay, I can't wait. :rolleyes:

Grab

I think he looks good :)

My dogs are thin, but they're fluffy enough that people don't notice from afar

It's simple. You get a merle dog that never stops moving long enough for someone to touch them. Merle disguises all and it's hard to feel bone or muscle when a dog is climbing onto your head.

Seriously though, looking at the venue you were at I would take it as a compliment. Also, your dog has sexy shoulder muscles

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Seriously though, looking at the venue you were at I would take it as a compliment. Also, your dog has sexy shoulder muscles
Remember when the guy at the park was like, "here's a skinny guy..." and you said, "Yeah, I love how fit he is!" and then he wouldn't talk to us and just glared at you for starving your dog? :rofl1:

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I used to always get "oh he's so skinny". How I get "he's a bit chubby for a border collie, isn't he?" due to his floof, despite being lean and healthy in all cases. :rolleyes: Ugh.

Tazwell

I totally understand. Anything that is not obese is clearly malnourished!

I had a lady stop me at Petsmart and talk to me about Fleetwood, and she told him "Poor thing, if you were my dog, you'd weigh about 40 or 50 pounds more!"

*facepalm*

Bubba Love

Wubba Wuv!
i know bubba is underweight, i believe labradors should be in the 70-80lb range, but bubba is also a bit smaller then most labs, he weighs roughly 60lbs give or take... all dogs have different physiology then others, even amongst the same breed, some have a higher metabolism, some have more active lifestyles, frankly i wouldnt give a **** what that lady said about your dog, most likely jealousy...

People tell me my boy is skinny - I either blow it off or, if I'm feeling snarky, tell them that their dog is fat (because the people that tell me my boy is skinny usually have HUGE dogs) and they're slowly killing it because of that. Too much? Maybe... but it generally shuts people up, lol

Saeleofu

i know bubba is underweight, i believe labradors should be in the 70-80lb range, but bubba is also a bit smaller then most labs, he weighs roughly 60lbs give or take... all dogs have different physiology then others, even amongst the same breed, some have a higher metabolism, some have more active lifestyles, frankly i wouldnt give a **** what that lady said about your dog, most likely jealousy...
Most of the labs I've seen should be in the 45-60 pound range. Sadly most are actually in the 80-100+ pound range. Weight for the breed means very little, ultimately. Gavroche is only 53 pounds and is a male boxer but he's in great shape, even though the FCI standard calls for over 66 pounds.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
He looks fabulous! <3
Millie's ideal weight is ~30 lbs. As of now she's probably 5 lbs. overweight (totally my fault for being a lazy ass lately :eek:). And I *still* get comments she's too skinny. :rolleyes: People get all upset because I starve my dog, and then you should see their faces when I say she should have 5 lbs. more off. It's actually kind of funny.

Ah the benefits of having fluffy dogs, no one knows how 'starved' my dogs are ;) I always feel for sighthound owners, I bet they get the worst of it.

lizzybeth727

i know bubba is underweight, i believe labradors should be in the 70-80lb range, but bubba is also a bit smaller then most labs, he weighs roughly 60lbs give or take...
We have tons of labs at work, and rarely do we get one that is more than 70 lbs at his ideal weight. Of the ones we have now, only about 25% are even more than 60 lbs.

SarahHound

I think he looks great! I get told mine are too thin all the time, its incredible how many people tell me my dogs are too thin. Greyhounds are MEANT to be thin!

Members online

No members online now.