New Pup

Brattina88

I got another dog to foster this morning. It was her last day at the pound, and I got the call to see if I could help. How could I say no? They said she was about 2yrs old, beagle (who knows if she's pure or not), a stray, but I disagree. I think she's 3 or 4 by looking at her teeth. We'll see what the vet thinks -- the earliest check up I could schedule was Tues. I gave her a bath when I got home and she looks younger now that she's clean. I'm thinking about naming her Roxy(???) Her and Maddie were playing, running all around the house. Its been a while since Maddie's played like that with another dog, it was very amusing. She seems like she is housebroken already! She scratched the door so I took her out, and as soon as her feet touched the grass she went. :D
Here's the picture that was posted on the Pound Website until I take my own, better, ones. ;)
Beagle Stray Pic

How lovely for Maddie! It sounds like you may have another dog, period, especially if Maddie has any say in things. It's always a humongous plus, too, when they're already housebroken.

Little Kharma's being easier about the housetraining than Shiva was, but I still hate that part of it; having to scold when there's an accident (I really wonder how much of it's accident with these dogs sometimes - they're very deliberate in everything else they do!)

Brattina88

This dog is such a gem! Its funny how she just fit right in. Somehow it feels like I've had her for weeks, and I think Maddie agrees. Usually there is at least some tension a couple days after they realize the dog is staying on who is higher in the pack and what not, but so far they haven't. She's an adult so she knows more about ranking than if I'd brought home a puppy. Roxy totally respects that the other dogs were here first, but her and Maddie play so good! There was a slight jumble this morning, however. I was playing tug of war with Roxy at my left arm and Maddie at my right, them pulling me in two different directions. The rope slipped out of Roxy's teeth and I won, she jumped up at me excitedly to keep playing. Her voice is very deep considering her size, so when she made a little noise, jumping up at me Maddie thought she was trying to bite me (this is what I figure, anyway). Maddie let go of her rope and barked once. Roxy stopped, Maddie paused and then they both took their ropes in there mouths and started to play again. :rolleyes:
Having a new dog in the house makes me realize how in tune Maddie and I are. I can tell her to back up and give me some space and she will literally back up a couple paces, or I can tell her mood by her body posture or something. Little things like that makes me see that I have a lot of voice control over Maddie, too, because she listens to everything I say (doesn't mean she always complies, but she does listen :D ) For the next couple of days I won't be deliberately training Roxy to sit or anything, until she is accustomed to our schedule, but I am working to get her to know her name.

Brattina88

Here's an update:
(I didn't want to post a new topic :rolleyes:)
Roxy is a RUNNER! I found that out quickly, so I got her a retractable leash which she loves. That's probably how she ended up at the pound as far as I can tell.
The vet agrees, she's probably about 4yrs old. And spayed. (I'm so good :p)
However there has been some tension lately. Roxy loves to wrestle, and usually I discorage play fighting with people because with dogs with an unknown past it could turn into dominence issues and agression, but Roxy is so good and its the only way she knows how to play I've been bending my own rules. She stops when I tell her "Thats enough" so its all good.
I take Maddie to the park and let her run off leash everyday. My brother comes and helps with Roxy, holding her retractable leash. Well Roxy was play wrestling with him, and he grew tired of it so she comes and me. She's playing, but playing rougher than usual. Nothing serious, her tooth came down on my arm at an akward angle and it hurt. I was surprised and yelled "Ow!" Maddie was, say 10 feet away.
My little Cocker Spaniel came charging at Roxy, and attacked her! She was on top of the beagle mix (Roxy is a little bit bigger than her BTW) and is growling and bitting her like crazy. Maddie has NEVER acted this way and I've never seen her fight like this. I didn't know she knew how, I mean, besides instictivly.
Roxy struggles and fights back, but she can't get out from underneath Maddie.
:eek:
Not even 5 seconds from the time I was bit (it seemed like forever, though) I was able to get ahold of myself and get them to stop. Its crazy. All I had to do is say "That's enough, cut it out!!" and Maddie stops and comes to me all wiggly butt like I should be proud. Roxy turned to my brother and we checked and made sure they were all right. I was unsure if I should scold either one of them or praise them (for stopping) so I did neither.
No one was hurt, and they played together soon after, but now when Roxy comes to play with me Maddie squeezes in between us and stands perpendicular to me, daring Roxy to try and get me.

My brother, with his eyes wide, scared I'm mad at Maddie or something. Goes "Man, did you see that? Your dog Cujo is a beast! You see how she was protecting you???"
Was she protecting me, or was she being agressive? Idunno :confused:
(as I type this I can't help but think Maddie?Agressive? Yea right! But I don't want to be one of those people who make excuses for their dogs behaivor or my ill training)

D

dogluver0403

Brattina88 said:
I got another dog to foster this morning. It was her last day at the pound, and I got the call to see if I could help. How could I say no? They said she was about 2yrs old, beagle (who knows if she's pure or not), a stray, but I disagree. I think she's 3 or 4 by looking at her teeth. We'll see what the vet thinks -- the earliest check up I could schedule was Tues. I gave her a bath when I got home and she looks younger now that she's clean. I'm thinking about naming her Roxy(???) Her and Maddie were playing, running all around the house. Its been a while since Maddie's played like that with another dog, it was very amusing. She seems like she is housebroken already! She scratched the door so I took her out, and as soon as her feet touched the grass she went. :D
Here's the picture that was posted on the Pound Website until I take my own, better, ones. ;)
Beagle Stray Pic
Hi,
How sweet! : ) me and my family volunteer for our local shelters and try to get doggies homes we have dog faires for that.
We also foster we have 2 of our own from the shelter.
Shelter dogs are such good dogs.
We have fostered a chiuahua and her 3 pups we fostered 2 husky pups and keped 1 and one great peretnese (HUGE) It is so much fun to foster and volunteer for the shelter and know our trying to help dogs get loving homes instead of there old homes and finally see what it is liek to have a good loving home cause most of the shelter dogs havnt seen that so they dont know what it is like to have a loving home! :) :D

Hey there, Brattina,

Don't worry too much about Maddie's protective instincts. That's all it was. Maddie's not going to suddenly become aggressive, but you know that already. Give them a little time, make sure Maddie sees you petting Roxy as well as her and things should get back to normal before long. Maddie is so tuned to you that she probably overreacted a bit, sensing that you may be a just a bit unsure of how a dog with an unknown background will act in a given situation. Cockers don't really know just how small they are sometimes!

My friend, Katie's little Carter thinks he's a tiger! I had Bimmer traveling with me one day and stopped to see Katie after she got off work. She just loves Bimmer, so I try to get him up there to see her periodically, but we always leave Carter in the house while Bimmer's out of the car on the leash. Well, this time, Bimmer was in the car, but Carter saw him with his head out the window and went WILD! He was jumping, lunging, snarling, snapping, growling and yowling in frustration because he couldn't get to Bimmer. Bimmer was just standing on the seat with his head poked out the window looking at the crazy little dog trying to fight with him! Fortunately, he's too well mannered to pay any attention to small dogs who want to "rumble!" We got a good laugh at Carter, though, thinking he was going to eat Bimmer!

And don't worry, you're definitely not one of those people who makes excuses for their dogs! Dogs blow off steam just like we do, sometimes. You should hear some of the arguments here! Actually, they're not arguments, they're Bimmer scolding one of the girls or the neighbor's Lab, Stanley, when they do something they aren't supposed to. He makes raising puppies so much easier. When he speaks, everyone stops! And Shiva's already twice his size! No one ever gets bitten, and everyone makes up afterward. Like kids, dogs are going to have occasional spats; we just have to make sure they don't get out of hand.

As for my humble opinion, you did exactly the right thing, not making a big to-do about the whole incident, praising or scolding either one. Neither Maddie nor Roxy did anything wrong. It was just an over-excited accident on Roxy's part, and Maddie just did what she believes her job is - protecting you.

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
hi

hi there im getting a new dog we mated it with my friends dog and shes due in 8 weeks and i cant wait and way i dont no how my older dog will cope with a smaller dog any way who ever has any ideas can you say many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Brattina88

Just wanted to say real quick that Roxy got adopted. Guess I waited too long to fill out the paper work that she would be mine. She got a really great home though, and now I'll have room to save someone else I guess. :( Its always bittersweet ;) but I'm still glad she got a great home

As long as she's happy, I know you'll be happy for her. Another set of paws will wander into your lives before long, and, just as you say, you'll have room. But then, there will always be room in your heart and home for a wandering waif, I'm sure.

Members online

No members online now.