Training books

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I am currently readying Leslie McDevitt's Control Unleashed The Puppy Program. Because eeeeeeeee puppy! :p

And because Sara is awesomesauce and lent it to me.

Catsi

I am currently readying Leslie McDevitt's Control Unleashed The Puppy Program. Because eeeeeeeee puppy! :p

And because Sara is awesomesauce and lent it to me.
Ok, I am seriously interesting in this book. How did you find it? Have you put any of the exercises into practice?

You know, I actually just finished making my list for my family. All books, haha.

It isn't strictly a dog book, but I REALLY want Coercion and its Fallout by Murray Sidman. But it's, like, more than $50. x.x

These have been suggested to me:
The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell
Reaching the Animal Mind by Karen Pryor
The Science of Consequences by Susan M. Schneider(I don't think this one is strictly a dog training book, but I'm still really interested in it)
When Pigs Fly by Jane Killion
Plenty in Life is Free by Kathy Sdao
Excel-Erated Learning by Pamela J. Reid
Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor

Personally, some of the books I'm extremely interested in that I found:
Click n Sniff by Deborah A. Jones(it's a nosework book, I believe)
Do Animals Think? by Clive Wynne
Busted! I'm a Peoples, You're a Dog! by Sally Montruccio
So You Want to be a Trainer by Nicole Wilde

Books that I've already read:
Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson(I liked it, but Ms. Donaldson and I disagree on a few things. I think some of what she says can come out too harsh. Overall, I DO recommend this book.)
Clicking With Your Dog by Peggy Tillman(Interesting, easy-to-read book that has really simple step-by-step instructions. It IS a dog training book, and doesn't go too into the science of it. It gives so many wonderful ideas with all the different things you can teach your dog!)
Click! Dog Training System by Karen Pryor(This is really like... a beginner clicker training book. It doesn't go deeply into science, but it does explain why clicker training is effective, and why dogs tend to respond better to positive reinforcement than punishment-based training. It gives advice on how to use a clicker, how not to use a clicker, and it even gives you some amazing ideas on how to start clicker training. There are some tricks in here, too. Personally, I loved all the cute/funny quotes on some of the pages.)

Er... Not all are strictly dog training, but still, they seem really interesting! I actually have A LOT more books that I wrote on my Xmas list for family, but they're more aimed and behaviorial issues like separation anxiety, reactivity, and aggression. A couple are also more for learning about wolfdogs. And some are for learning Reiki with dogs and other animals.

Members online

No members online now.