Should this make me feel bad?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel bad when their dogs are criticized?

My friend criticizes Lucy a lot; and even more so recently since Lucy is usually my subject for pictures in our photography class (which is a nice transition to Lucy-bashing, I guess.)

I used to not care because, well... I never used to think she was that great of a dog, either. But now it just bugs me because it's been over a year since she last interacted with Lucy; she's basically just forming her opinions on the 5 seconds she sees (or rather, hears) Lucy when she comes over once or twice a week.

Here's the conversation that happened today, while we were making prints in photo class.
Her: "What would you do if your cat was replaced with my dog?"
Me: "I'd be very sad... I love my kitty and would rather have him."
Her: "Whatever, I have the best dog in the world."
Me: "Nawww, I think Molly is the best" (And this was not said in a little kid "NUH-UH!" tone of voice)
Her: "Well at least my dog is better than Lucy. She's a crappy dog."

I just stopped there. Normally, I eventually start to ignore when she starts getting on these "my dog's amazing" lecture things.

It just makes me feel bad. Honestly, I don't like her dog. Whenever I'm at her house, it takes a while for me to leave because we have to find where he hid my shoes. I sometimes have to keep my distance from him because he jumps up constantly, and he's peed on me a few times while doing this. If I'm sitting near him he'll bite my hands, and pull on my sleeves/pants. He's just very hyperactive and not trained very well. Or maybe I'm just annoyed because Lucy and Molly are soooo mellow. Of course, she responds to this with, "at least my dog is playful and not boring." *sigh* Yeah, it's very similar to the five-year-olds who argue back and forth "my mommy's better than your mommy!!"

When someone criticizes your dog, it's kind of like they're putting you down as a dog owner as well; insinuating that you couldn't train your dog properly, so therefore they're misbehaved. Which I think is another reason why it bothers me so much.

Am I the only one who gets this way?

bubbatd

When anything close to us , or even us , is put down we feel personally stabbed . The best thing is to turn the other cheek and change the subject . It's a hard lesson to learn . The old adage ...if you don't have anything nice to say , then don't open your mouth is true . Took me years to learn this !! I am an Aries and my Ram horns are sharp ! But in the long run,why lower yourself to to a snotty remark . Be a bigger person than your friend . You don't need to lower yourself to her standard .

noludoru

Bored Now.
If they have legitimate criticisms I take them in stride. I know it's NOT meant to hurt my feelings.

If it's like your friend there I roll my eyes. I've had a few people who insist their little terror is the most fantastic thing on the face of the earth and Middie is just an ugly, drooly mutt... and I've taken them down a peg or two. Politely, but still. For instance one person who just hated him (no idea why) was telling me about her ill-behaved, yappy, jumpy leg-lifters and then shooting down MY dog.... I went ahead and told her mine only barks when he's lonely and shuts up when I ask him to, we're working on the jumping, and I don't put him into situations where he can ruin merchandise with his leg-lifting habits. I either do not take him inside or use my belly-band. She shut up and hasn't broached the subject again.. ten bucks would say she now owns a belly band and is working on not letting them jump.

adojrts

This is your friend??? :yikes:
No matter what she thinks or feels about your dog (or anything else that is yours ), it is rude, nasty and MEAN to say 'She's a crappy dog'. If I was in your place, I would ask her why she is trying to hurt your feelings and then let her know that her opinions on this has not been asked nor appreciated. Strangers don't say things like that to each other, let alone someone who is suppose to be our friend. Even people on this forum, KNOW it's rude and uncalled for to say something like that about some else's dog, even when we may not like that person. That is going over a line with a jump.
Your friend needs to learn some manners, having her talk to you like that shouldn't be tolerated on any level.

cinnamon

Give her a confused look and say " do you realize you said that out loud?"

THen walk away--maybe she'll think about the stupid comment.

My dog has lots of issues, but my friends would never say to my face how crappy she is.
They know we are working towards being a better dog.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
My response would be: "Well... you're a crappy person."

That is SO mature... criticizing a dog, who has done nothing to her. I think that says something about her; it says she isn't worthy of your friendship.

If one of my friends made fun of my dogs, they wouldn't be my friend. I value my dogs over my friends, completely! C: And they all know that. Luckily, all of my friends love my dogs.

goldiefur

This is your friend??? :yikes:
No matter what she thinks or feels about your dog (or anything else that is yours ), it is rude, nasty and MEAN to say 'She's a crappy dog'. If I was in your place, I would ask her why she is trying to hurt your feelings and then let her know that her opinions on this has not been asked nor appreciated. Strangers don't say things like that to each other, let alone someone who is suppose to be our friend. Even people on this forum, KNOW it's rude and uncalled for to say something like that about some else's dog, even when we may not like that person. That is going over a line with a jump.
Your friend needs to learn some manners, having her talk to you like that shouldn't be tolerated on any level.
I agree with you adojrts. I don't think this girl is your friend a friend would never say anything like that and if one of my friends told me something like that I would be done with them. She must be jealous or something because this is just so odd. I tease my mom because her dog is to fat but I am not mean about it. What your friend said was just plain mean.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Constructive criticism might make me feel bad, but its helpful.

Informing me that my dog is "crappy" is not helpful, would make me feel bad, and frankly, would make me very angry.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
She's your friend? She seems extremely rude and insensitive. I'm not even sure I'd call what she's doing criticizing. She's just being plain rude.

Paige

Let it be
It doesn't bug me when people say they hate my dogs, think my dogs are ugly, think they are stupid ect. I've had a few people say it too. More people think they are charming but when the odd jerk tries to bash them I just smile and make a rude remark right back. May be childish but whatever. Gives me a good giggle and certainly shuts them up.

*Amy*

I know how you feel. I had to make a powerpoint presentation before a big speech just to make sure it would work in the classroom and we could do the presentation on whatever we wanted. I chose to show a picture of Carlie. Well, no one said she was cute and this one kid said, "what an ugly dog!" like really loud. Another girl said, "Maybe she just doesn't take good pictures." I just ignored them and finished the presentation, but I felt hurt just because I love my dog and I was so excited to show everyone her picture, and this is what I got as a response. I think I did show a goofy picture, but I guess because I love her, I liked it anyway.

Anyway, that must've hurt even worse because she's your friend. These people were not my friends. You shouldn't let her talk to you like that. I like Cinnamon's idea that next time she says something like that just say, "do you realize you said that out loud?" and seem hurt.

goldiefur

Paige and Amy, I don't know how anyone can say your dogs are ugly.:mad: They are all adorable. The only thing I can think is they have some kind of issues with you and they say these things just to take a stab at you or they are not animal lovers. Even that dog that won the ugly contest (I forgot his name) was cute in his own goofy way. There are just a bunch of inconsiderate aholes out there.

chanda

there's a big difference in criticizing and being plain rude... i guess your friend is the latter one T_T

H

harrischrysler

I say "meh". Like my friends that come over and have been instructed for months on how to enter the house yet ignore it. So now when they come over and the dogs crowd and jump, I say "do what I told you." Anyhow, I thought these guys were supposed to be my best friends!!! :)

yoko

my friends know better than to say that about yoshi. i can point out things wrong with her but the MINUTE anyone says anything about her i clam up she's like my child...

i have had random people at pet stores tell me she's funny looking or ugly. they're dumb and i just ignore them. they dont know the cuddly love bug like i do. and they have no right to say that about her :(

houndlove

coonhound crazy
Heh I guess that's the thing about having big dogs. No one has ever said boo about them being ugly or crappy, I guess a.) because they're both supermodels (heh), and b.) because I think some people are just afraid of them and are worried I might sic Conrad on them!

Members online