What does being a good dog owner mean to you?

Paige

Let it be
How would you define a good dog owner?

A good dog owner in my mind is:

A person who has a dog that matches their lifestyle (or has adapted their lifestyle so their dogs needs can be met)
Feeds the dog.
Gives the dog water.
Meets the dog's activity level
Has a decently behaved dog (installed some manners if the dog had none).
Provides vet care.
Takes responsibility for their dog (if it's aggressive doesn't get the dog in situations where this could harm someone)
Provides leadership, companionship and affection to the dog.
Does not eat dog.

Pretty basic. I was just curious from my dog walking thread about what you think it means to be a good dog owner. So what do you think makes a good dog owner?

noludoru

Bored Now.
Staves and lots of beatings. :p

Seriously.. uhhhmmm.. I don't know.

-LOVE your dog
-provide clear boundaries for your dog
-getting your dog enough exercise and mental stimulation
-clean food and water, preferably as good a food as you can afford
-Vet care
-Dog lives in their home, or at least part of the time in it, and if the dog absolutely cannot be in the house every effort must be made to make the dog comfortable and happy.. (our forum member OC is a good example of why there are exceptions to my rule of "no dog left outdoors." I think she is a very good owner and treats her dogs well, and if all owners who kept outdoor dogs treated them as well as she treats hers, I wouldn't have a problem with it)
-does not abuse dog

Basically as long as the dog is happy, loved, and well-cared for I'm good.... There are some things I'd often like to improve in other dog's lives, but then again... "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" I make mistakes, too. I just try to learn from them and improve, and I hope everyone else does, too.

A person who has a dog that matches their lifestyle (or has adapted their lifestyle so their dogs needs can be met)
Feeds the dog.
Gives the dog water.
Provides vet care.
Takes responsibility for their dog (if it's aggressive doesn't get the dog in situations where this could harm someone)
Does not eat dog.
I don't think having a unbehaved dog makes me a bad owner. I TRY, but have you ever tried to train a stubborn dachshund who was allowed to do whatever he wanted for 9 years (11 now)? Its hard..trust me! I have been trying for over 2 years now.

I agree with what both of you have stated! I wanted to add: Does not breed dog irresponsibly.

And : Does not make dog live outdoors. (I am talking about a dog that doesn't go anywhere BUT the backyard). Why get a dog if its going to live alone outside,even if you do go outside and play with it.

M&M's Mommy

Owned by 3 mutts
How would you define a good dog owner?

A good dog owner in my mind is:

Feeds the dog.
Gives the dog water.
Provides vet care.
Does not eat dog.

Pretty basic. I was just curious from my dog walking thread about what you think it means to be a good dog owner. So what do you think makes a good dog owner?
then I'm not qualified :( because I ate dogs meat before I came to the U.S., and on my trip back home in 2003, I ate dog meat again there. In Vietnam, eating dogs meat is legal, and they're sold at the supermarket just like any other type of meat. Of course, that doesn't mean I would kill my dogs for meat, or approved of any mistreatment to dogs - but eating dogs meat is considered normal in other parts of the world - so personally, I don't think it has anything to do with good dog ownership. By the way, the dogs there are raised in the farm for their meat just like cattles - so there are really not much different.

I think, a good dog owner needs to first and formost LOVE his dog. Everything else (feeding, training, caring, excercising, etc..) will follow naturally as the results of that love.

bubbatd

To me being a good dog owner is putting their needs first ......love , food , vetting and TLC. You give and they return ten fold .

Good wonership to ME means:

Someone who is resonsible enough to take in a dog to begin with.
Someone who will discipline the dog when need be
Who will excersize the dog
Who will be a good leader and understand what the dog needs and doesnt need.
Will have a bond with the dog, and share its energy level (Be able to run with the dog if it likes to run or swim if it likes to swim, however I know this is not always an option.)
Someone who will have enough time to train the dog.
Someone who will feed and water it
Give him/her love and respect.

wishbone

Treating them like a baby and best friend.
A cute, huggable, stress-relieving companion and make him feel better too.

Paige

Let it be
then I'm not qualified :( because I ate dogs meat before I came to the U.S., and on my trip back home in 2003, I ate dog meat again there. In Vietnam, eating dogs meat is legal, and they're sold at the supermarket just like any other type of meat. Of course, that doesn't mean I would kill my dogs for meat, or approved of any mistreatment to dogs - but eating dogs meat is considered normal in other parts of the world - so personally, I don't think it has anything to do with good dog ownership. By the way, the dogs there are raised in the farm for their meat just like cattles - so there are really not much different.

I think, a good dog owner needs to first and formost LOVE his dog. Everything else (feeding, training, caring, excercising, etc..) will follow naturally as the results of that love.
That part was a joke. I could really care less if someone has eaten dog before. So long as it isn't my dog all the power to you. I've never seen the difference between eating one animal over another.

H

HarleyD

I think everyone has the same thoughts pretty much. I agree with all of them so far.

Other than the "one animal over another" thing. I know countries differ, and unfortunately dogs/cats are eaten in Vietnam/China, etc. However, HERE in the U.S./Canada (maybe even UK area?) it's pretty taboo. Granted, some people have cows and pigs as pets...but I think even they end up getting eaten at some point. It's where you grow up as to what is considered a "pet" animal vs an "eating" animal.

Members online

No members online now.