Help with St Bernard puppy and 3 little kids!

Hi all,
Still new and trying my best to learn about training a puppy. I know that if Simon does something now, I ask myself, would I want a 200lb dog to do that?
That said, I am crating him after meals for rest, when I put the girls to bed, and when I cannot watch him 100% of the time. He is in a crate a total of about 2-3 hrs a day.
Is this excessive?
He is now getting very relaxed here- so much so that when he is out of the crate, after potty, he literally gallops around the basement (where the playroom is) very excited and runs into the girls, scaring them, nipping at them and knocking them over. My littlest one thinks it funny, but I don't. I am trying to teach my girls not to get him excited, because then he runs around, out of control- to the point he tries to nip me.
I shush him, and hold his collar and tell him to sit. To which he turns and tries to bite my hand.
Some things I want to mention:
1- I DO NOT hit (anyone!) or scream at anyone.
2- I don't use his name when he behaves this way- I lower my voice as best I can to tell him stop or leave it, with a firm tug on his collar.
3- when he does try to chew on something, I tell him to leave it, and give him his chew toy instead, which satisfies his need to chew for the most part.
4-when he does get this excited, I put him in the crate to cool off.

I don't want him to think the crate is punishment, but I don't think I could crate my kids (lol- however tempting!)
I would love any suggestions for helping Simon understand what behavior is appropriate in the house. And how to manage everyone a little better!

Also, He is a puppy and needs exercise- but I don't want to get him wound up and let loose on the girls or me, know what I mean?

right now, he's in the crate resting and the girls are mellowing out with Spongebob.

HELP!!!
Thanks for reading!

Amyjean

Copiuos

I'm not an expert at all so you can take this or leave it, but have you tried taking him for a nice long walk twice a day?

Sweet72947

Squishy face
One thing I suggest is to take him outside for from exercise without the kids so that he can run around and be silly without you worrying that he will hurt the kids. That way he can unleash his energy without you telling him "no" all the time.
As for the mouthing, whenever he puts teeth on a person, either stop all play, or redirect on to a toy and praise. Don't just throw him in the crate though because he will start to view it as punishment. Is there a room you can baby gate him into?
And 2-3 hrs in a crate is not excessive for a puppy. Good luck! :D

well, I would love to, and it is so much needed, but I need to find a slice of time where the kids are watched, too.
my husband and I need to work on this.

we use positive reenforcement with our great pyrenees. Plus, when your puppy get s a little older, she won't nip and bite so much. someone will give you good advice. I am not a trainer, so don't want to mess you up. We have also used a water squirt bottle when she gets too rowdy. Couple of sprays and she settles right down. Why did you get a giant breed puppy when you are so busy already? Not to be mean, but she is going to run and play, and just get bigger. My G reat Pyrenees is almost 5 months old, and huge. we have to be real careful because we have a toddler. but the next is twelve, so I have lots of help. It can be done, but you are at a rough stage right now, we went through it to, and it wasn't much fun. She would nip and chew all the time, so metimes at us, and those puppy teeth hurt. Especially when the puppy is big and has a powerful bite already. We have great trainers here, and they will definately help you. But that is what has worked for us, and the other things you are doing sounds right on. I don't think the 2-3 hrs. in the crate is that much. Baby lays around sleeping at least for that l ong. we put her in the small bathroom so she can turn around. Hang in there. I never write this much honestly.

:lol-sign: toooo true- what was I thinking? Well, we have been planning for some time for a Saint, and I am pretty confident in everything working out fine.
Funny, but in some ways- Simon really learns so much faster than my girls!!! And he listens to me- more so than the girls.
Anyway- I am working on a more solid schedule to get everyone working and exercising.
Would a 20-30 min walk in the AM and in the PM be too much for him?

No not too much. Get a soccer ball outside and kick it around, bet simon will chase it and have a great time like B aby, and it really poops them out. Have to be careful with exercise until they are grown, due to their joints and skeletal system. Exercise is good, but not too much. Also, keep checking on the collar simon wears, because they grow so fast, they need to be constantly adjusted. Are you feeding a good food? Baby takes a vitamin every day too as a supplement from the vet. Also, we have to feed her more than the bag says, because she is having a growth spurt now. Well, that is all I can think of. LOL. HOnestly, I never write this much, just love the giant breed dog.

This running and nipping is normal puppy behavior. He needs to do some of it " OR " something like it . when he is being rowdy like that maybe try throwing a tennis ball for him. That way he gets to run and play with out biting and getting into trouble. If you can get him to do it the girls can play with him and not have him trying to bite them. BTW I'm jealous, i wish I had a st. puppy:)

mjb

I know I posted this on another thread, and I don't want to bore everyone, but Spanky was the worst I've ever seen with using teeth when he was a puppy. He just couldn't play without nipping.

The best game we found that the kids could play without getting nipped and would literally wear him out was 'soccer bottle'. We had 3 2 liter Coke bottles (empty). A child would start kicking it around like a soccer ball, keeping it relatively close to her. Puppy will want it and grab it. Child lets puppy have it and runs to another bottle. When she starts kicking it, the puppy lets the one he has go, and want the one the child has, once again. There's never a battle for it because once the puppy grabs it, the child moves on to the next bottle. It's very active, and everyone has a great time, and no one gets bit!

Saintgirl

A tired puppy is a good puppy! 20-30 minute walks twice a day will not hurt the growing bones and joints. Mainly what you have to watch for is the hard running and jumping on and off things. These walks are very important for your pup, not only will they help burn a little mental and physical energy but will help to socialize him to new things! It sounds like he is being a normal pup, you just need a way to keep from being too rough with the children. Keep working on a schedule and soon Simon will adjust to it- playtime and all. Mostly, remember that Simon is a baby and that he needs to play alot too! Because you are so busy, do you have dog walkers that you could hire to help you out?

we use positive reenforcement with our great pyrenees. Plus, when your puppy get s a little older, she won't nip and bite so much. someone will give you good advice. I am not a trainer, so don't want to mess you up. We have also used a water squirt bottle when she gets too rowdy. Couple of sprays and she settles right down. Why did you get a giant breed puppy when you are so busy already? Not to be mean, but she is going to run and play, and just get bigger. My G reat Pyrenees is almost 5 months old, and huge. we have to be real careful because we have a toddler. but the next is twelve, so I have lots of help. It can be done, but you are at a rough stage right now, we went through it to, and it wasn't much fun. She would nip and chew all the time, so metimes at us, and those puppy teeth hurt. Especially when the puppy is big and has a powerful bite already. We have great trainers here, and they will definately help you. But that is what has worked for us, and the other things you are doing sounds right on. I don't think the 2-3 hrs. in the crate is that much. Baby lays around sleeping at least for that l ong. we put her in the small bathroom so she can turn around. Hang in there. I never write this much honestly.
exactly wat she said...wtg mom!

oh, I didn't mention this- but we do not have a fenced yard. So when he is out with us, he is on a leash. That is limiting as well, and we are planning on putting him on a runner so that he can play with us and kick a ball around without taking off.
When I do take him for a stroll, usually around our property, he is 75% receptive to walkign with me. Any suggestions on getting his full cooperation?
He is NOT motivated by treats, but praises-which he gets lots of!

Members online

No members online now.