Myths about spaying and neutering benefits

elegy

overdogged
Convenience is the only serious reason in favor of spying or neutering.
mmm no, it's not really. while i agree that the risks of spay/neuter are often ignored and the benefits overblown there are indeed benefits to both that go far beyond convenience. it is, imo, for the owner to evaluate and decide for themselves where the benefits outweigh the risks.

and as to wanting to keep your dogs intact so that they'll fight? are you nuts? :eek:

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
This guy is a tool and a troll.
Ben still has his testicles, they just happen to be in a jar in my fridge. Perhaps I should glue them back on to make him "interesting"

Pits&Pugs

I like this line
My observations on behavior of my female Laika showed, that spayed or neutered dogs were less likely to be beaten by another dog, perhaps, because they had no gender.
No gender?.....so if a woman has a hysterectomy she is no longer a woman?...or if a man has to have his testicle removed due to cancer he is no longer a man?????:confused:

elegy

overdogged
This guy is a tool and a troll.
Ben still has his testicles, they just happen to be in a jar in my fridge. Perhaps I should glue them back on to make him "interesting"
i've been trying to get luce unspayed for years, but as i don't have her uterus in a jar in my fridge, i'm having to arrange for a donor, which is tricky. big plans for shihschnoodlebull puppies, you understand.

i've been trying to get luce unspayed for years, but as i don't have her uterus in a jar in my fridge, i'm having to arrange for a donor, which is tricky. Big plans for shihschnoodlebull puppies, you understand.
lol!!!!!

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
i've been trying to get luce unspayed for years, but as i don't have her uterus in a jar in my fridge, i'm having to arrange for a donor, which is tricky. big plans for shihschnoodlebull puppies, you understand.
I can post you one of Bens testicles and you could come up with an even cooler breed by just tossing that in a blender. That way you can give me pick of the litter! :D

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Convenience is the only serious reason in favor of spying or neutering. However, arguments in favor of desexing dogs are driven by ideology and propaganda. Science always honest, if it is a true hard science. Look here: http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

Dogs are individuals and removal of any part of body, especially, reproductive organs, changes them irreversibly. For active dog users it matters. Many of us keep dogs not just as pets, but rather for enjoyment of dog watching in action. For example, you do not need to be not a consumptive hunter to enjoy open field coursing, sledding or herding activity of dogs of your breed. Even dog fights is an important part of their natural interactions. I do not mean pit fights, which are disgusting. I mean fights over a reason, not to death, but fights over female in heat, defending the food, protecting the master, dominance in the pack, etc. Normal dogs do not fight to death. When I selecting a puppy out of a litter, I always watch for the most competitive one, because I like dominant dogs capable to fight well, if necessary. Sheep guarding dogs must fight stray dogs, foxes and wolves attacking sheep. Lead dog in dog sledding team usually left intact and, if you are a breeder, or think about breeding as a possibility, you know that spayed or neutered dogs are lost for this purpose.

But I never have ANY intention of breeding my dog.

Her character hasn't changed one IOTA - she was spayed after her 2nd heat.

She's a maniac. She's not fat. She's not lazy.

Conveniance, perhaps. But the reality is I don't want my dog to get pregnant. Under NO circumstances.

And if I didn't want kiddies ever, I'd go get my tubes tied too. Why take the risk?

Unlike aesthetic surgery, spaying does have a purpose.

It stops numpty joe public getting their dog bred by accident. If it was a rare procedure, the dog population would be insane. Because not everyone who owns a dog understands dog cycles. But everyone who owns a dog has heard of spaying.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
My bitch is intact. For us, it made more sense to leave her intact, rather then to put her through an operation that, in her case, was unnecessary. We thought about getting her spayed, but after talking with our vet, we decided that since we are willing to take the necessary precautions and we can handle an intact bitch, we didn't.

Most of my family/friends who have dogs, are spay/neutered. Their dogs are just as interesting as mine was at their dogs age, you can't really tell the difference. The only difference really, is one is spayed/neutered, one isn't.

Now, if I was to have a male dog, I would probably get him neutered. From what I have seen, it is easier to deal with an intact female then an intact male, especially if you have multiple dogs. So would it be for convenience? Maybe. But it would also be for the safety of my male dog that he get neutered.

Members online

No members online now.