Choice of Spay/Neuter.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I wasn't really sure what to call this thread, but it was inspired by the
Spay/Neuter ALL the time? thread.

I had posted that both Izzy and Frodo were s/n at 6 months and that it had never really crossed my mind not to do it. Then I got to thinking that I didn't really have a choice if I wanted to compete in AKC agility/Rally-O/obedience/whatever because their breeder wouldn't sign the registration papers until she had proof of s/n. With our rescue dog, she wasn't spayed at the shelter, we were given 60 days to show proof that she had been spayed, it was the policy for everyone.

I had thought that this was normal for "pet quality" and shelter/rescue dogs.

I am wondering (for the people who don't have their dogs s/n or are thinking about not having it done) where you got your dog(s) and how they are not getting s/n. <-- I have reworded this like 5 times, and I can't get it to sound like I am not being mean/accusing, but I promise that it's not supposed to seem like that, I am just curious.

I am also wondering (for breeders) if the spay/neuter contract is a normal thing, or am I being assumptuous again?

Ren and the gang.

P.S. This is a happy post :D :) <-- See, so no fighting :mad: ;)

elegy

overdogged
the easy answer would be that people are getting them from backyard breeders or from shelters who don't speuter before they leave or don't enforce speuter contracts (there are several around here with the 60 days policy, but their "deposit" that they hold is like a quarter of what it costs to spay a bitch, so what's the point?). no responsible breeder would let a dog go to a pet home without a spay/neuter contract.

my dogs were both adopted as adults and they were both speutered by the organization from whom i adopted them before they came home.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Elegy I love the term "speuter" LMAO :D

With Chloe it wasnt even a thought...She WAS getting spayed regardless...and even though I was sooo worried about her, I knew that it was for the best...

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
the easy answer would be that people are getting them from backyard breeders
Now I feel dumb :eek:

their "deposit" that they hold is like a quarter of what it costs to spay a bitch
They don't fool around where I live, they come and get the dog back (I do not know this from personal experience, FYI, :p )

Thanks elegy!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
With Chloe it wasnt even a thought
That's how it's been with every dog that I've ever had, with the low cost s/n program it costs like $15 a dog here and then you can live worry free, lol.

elegy

overdogged
PWCorgi said:
They don't fool around where I live, they come and get the dog back (I do not know this from personal experience, FYI, :p )
i wish the shelters around here would do that. some have started speutering and microchipping everything that goes out the door, of which i heartily approve. but other places just flat-out don't have the resources. $45 and you're out the door with your new pet and that's the end of your relationship with the shelter.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
PWCorgi said:
That's how it's been with every dog that I've ever had, with the low cost s/n program it costs like $15 a dog here and then you can live worry free, lol.
Well, your lucky....We have a low-cost s/n program, but you have to be on government assistance (Food Stamps, Welfare, etc....) so I wasn't approved for it...so I had to pay $200 + for Chloe's s/n which doesnt really bother but........
thats a whole other thread....

Last edited:

doberkim

Naturally Natural
the problem with many shelters (and i dont fault them for this), is that they are seriously lacking in funds, and they cannot logistically speuter everything before it leaves the shelter - because they dont have a vet to do them all, they dont have time, and for many shelters, not all the animals will be adopted and some may be euthanized, so they cant spend money on speutering dogs that will be euthanized 3-4 days later. its unfortunate, but they do their best.

many do offer rebates or have policies that state they SHOULD be speutered, but they are hard to enforce -again, for a shelter running short on volunteers, its hard to make sure this gets done, no matter how many good intentions they have.

Tobysmom

Toby came from a breeder. While I did research the breed before I got him I didn't know all the things a good breeder should be doing. I don't believe his parents had any health tests done other than ordinary check ups. There was a contract I signed in which I stated I wouldn't breed him, but neutering was never mentioned in it.

I suppose she would be considered a BYB, but oh well, live and learn. I do intend on neutering him anyway tho.

Toller_08

All of my current dogs are spayed/neutered. Winston & Morgan are from rescues. We rescued Tia's mom and she was already pregnant, but we spayed both Tia and Jesse (her mom) when Tia turned 9 months old. Tango as from a friend's accidental litter and she was spayed at 7 months. My next dog (Toller) is going to be from a breeder on a breeding/showing contract if I do decide to show her in conformation (which I really hope to) and so she will not be spayed for obvious reasons. Showing is the only reason I'd never s/n my dog unless I couldn't for health reasons or something.

Both Radar and Greystone (the cat) were adopted from the organization I work and and were fixed before leaving the property, which is policy. Our Lilly was purchased from a farm at 8 wks and was spayed at 6 mos. At the time, I was too young to really understand what was happening and desperatly wanted a litter of puppies from her. Thank god my mother had better sense.

Caza is a direct import from a kennel in Germany. The family that purchased him did not nueter him and when i got him I choose not to.

Neeko is from a BYB and is intact. I CHOSE not to nueter him as well.

Joe was nuetered before he came to my home, or else he would be intact as well.

And Hondo is staying intact. He was given to me by my aunt, who has Caza's sister (same parents different letter).

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
GSDlover_4ever said:
Caza is a direct import from a kennel in Germany. The family that purchased him did not nueter him and when i got him I choose not to.

Neeko is from a BYB and is intact. I CHOSE not to nueter him as well.

Joe was nuetered before he came to my home, or else he would be intact as well.

And Hondo is staying intact. He was given to me by my aunt, who has Caza's sister (same parents different letter).
I'm sorry but I can't resist to ask if you are a male yourself and that is why you have 4, well 3 intact ones. LOL! How do they get along? Can't be that peaceful in your house.

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
My breeder has a spay/neuter contract on all pet puppies. In addition, when I bought my show girl it was with the understanding that she would be co-owned by the breeder. All decisions regarding breeding Kimi MUST be discussed at length with her- I cannot simply use any stud I wish (nor would I want to).

I'm quite certain that my breeder maintains co-ownerships on *all* intact bitches she sells (and may do so for intact dogs as well, although I'm not certain). This way she is directly involved in the lives of any puppies her girls produce, whether or not she is caring for the litter herself.

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
My Lizzie did come from a breeder (and she is by far irresponsible) and we have chosen not to spay until 18 moths to give time for her development. If she is bred before her spay (which she wont be ) I can be faced with BIG problems as it is stated that she is not to be bred

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
I spent several years as a veterinary technician, and many more years as a trainer - and personally the only reason I'd keep a dog intact is because I want to show in conformation or breed someday.

I saw too many males with prostate problems - this is SO common and SO easy to avoid if you neuter (most neutered males never have prostate problems). I saw several with testicular cancers - very nasty and SO easy to avoid with a simple neuter. Once the cancer is there, there's always a possibility it could spread before it's removed. And I've seen numerous males with behavioral problems directly tied to hormones - problems that could be avoided by a simple neuter.

In the females, mammary tumors are very common in intact bitches. And I not only saw many incidents of pyometra, I had the unfortunate experience of going through it with one of my girls. She was so very sick, even though I recognized the symptoms and had her into the vet fairly early. Even with the antibiotics, it went into a closed pyometra and when we did the spay (which cost 3-4X a normal spay) the uterus was HUGE and full of pus (I assisted in the surgery, saw it as he lifted it out of her). I could have lost her, and it would have been 100% my fault because I should have had her spayed before that. I had decided a good 18 months earlier that I wasn't going to breed her, but she had such nice quiet heat cycles and I never had a problem keeping her confined so I just didn't worry about it.

So my outlook on it is if you don't have a really good reason for keeping your dogs intact, you could very possibly (and maybe even likely) be contributing to a serious illness. The surgeries for spay and neuter are very straight forward and quick, needing a minimal amount of time under anesthetic (much less than they would need if they have to undergo surgery to remove cancerous tumors, have a c-section or a pyometra spay). In six years working for the vet, thousands of spays and neuters, I never saw a dog die from it.

I have one intact female now, and she's 21 months. I'm showing her. She gets her eyes CERF'd next week, will be in for x-rays after her 2nd birthday, and if she doesn't certify in her health clearances I will get her spayed.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Red_ACD_for_me said:
I'm sorry but I can't resist to ask if you are a male yourself and that is why you have 4, well 3 intact ones. LOL! How do they get along? Can't be that peaceful in your house.
Nope I'm a girl, :D . They dont love each other but I demand them to act a certain way. Yes, Caza and Neeko have gotten into it a couple of times, and because of that I do keep them seperate. It can be stressful at times but I live through it.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
GSDlover_4ever said:
Nope I'm a girl, :D . They dont love each other but I demand them to act a certain way. Yes, Caza and Neeko have gotten into it a couple of times, and because of that I do keep them seperate. It can be stressful at times but I live through it.
Well, I must say I am suprised you are a female LOL :p ! and feel like that about neutering male dogs. I must say I have only met one other female owner in the past 15 years who wouldn't fix her boy dog. If things are so stressful at times with intact boys then why not fix them? Are they breeding or show quality or are you keeping them intact just because? I know it is your choice but having only all males is usually not that great of a choice to own especially if you are not going to neuter them. That's just asking for trouble. I have one intact male now who I am allowing to fully mature before I neuter him ( maybe 2 years) and thats enough testosterone for me LOL ;) !

Red_ACD_for_me said:
Well, I must say I am suprised you are a female LOL :p ! and feel like that about neutering male dogs. I must say I have only met one other female owner in the past 15 years who wouldn't fix her boy dog. If things are so stressful at times with intact boys then why not fix them? Are they breeding or show quality or are you keeping them intact just because? I know it is your choice but having only all males is usually not that great of a choice to own especially if you are not going to neuter them. That's just asking for trouble. I have one intact male now who I am allowing to fully mature before I neuter him ( maybe 2 years) and thats enough testosterone for me LOL ;) !

I'm a female and only 17, :D . Its not as hard as people think. They arent out of control beasts, lol :D . Caza and Hondo are breeding prospects, and Neeko is just Neeko. I was considering getting him nuetered, not because of the testosterone or behavioral problems (I feel thats taking the easy way out) but for medical reasons. But I'm only considering it. I would NEVER EVER nueter a dog JUST because it limits their behavioral problems.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
i neuter all my pets, i would neuter every dog/cat i get unless there was an really good reason not too,

even if i had the top winning sheltie in the country, when she got to old or had enough litters i would have her spayed,

i just think its really irresponsible to keep a male/female intact when their is always the risk of them getting out for whatever reason,

especially if theirs a bitch in heat nearby
i'd rather neuter/spay my pets then risk and accidental litter that would result in the poor dogs in shelters not getting well needed homes.

Members online

No members online now.