Recon is 7 months old!

DJEtzel

I just wanted to gush for a moment. Recon turned 7 months old yesterday and I'm just ecstatic with the dog he's becoming! :rockon:

He's such a thinker and I just love it. We've been doing intermediate agility skills classes for the last month and a half, and he's doing fantastic. Has the biggest drive and joy for agility. Contacts are coming along GREAT, he LOVES weaves, and is nailing entrances with me from a stand still or 10 feet to the side at any angle. Noises don't bother him, and of course he is FAST. It's nice having a quick dog to keep up with/work with.

He's also in a nosework class currently where he's a champ as well... easily finding hides now within a minute in a large, smelly, grooming room with chairs, vacuum cleaners, tables, grooming supplies, other dogs, etc. I've been talking to some trainers and I'm hoping to do some detection training with him.

His obedience is also coming along great; nice rear end awareness now, shaping his retrieve is going slow but happy. He'll retrieve a dumbell from about 10 feet now and bring it back about 3/4 of the way before he outs on his own, which we're working on. :rolleyes:

Frisbee drive is insane as well, so there's definitely a chance at doing some disc competitions in the future.

We're hoping to get his first CGC by springtime. He's just working on staying put on the ground once approached by strangers... he's still popping up 50% of the time for face licks. XD

The only complaints I have are that he's missing a nut and his ears won't stand. :p and that dreaded butt fluff... needs to be trimmed up and blown out again.

Here he is!

Laying down? by DJetzel, on Flickr

I'm extremely glad I picked the breeder I did, and the puppy that I did. He was the highest drive male in the litter, and has the nicest temperament. Great on/off switch, too, thankfully!

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
He sounds like a great little dog, and I love how he doesn't have the tri markings on his face. I'm excited to hear about all your future endeavors and watch him grow!

And on the floppy ears note, I completely understand that. Cali's ears never fully stood up and it still drives me crazy sometimes but I've somewhat learned to deal with it. At least when it's windy, when can make it look like her ears are fully up! :p

DJEtzel

Thank you guys!!

He sounds like a great little dog, and I love how he doesn't have the tri markings on his face. I'm excited to hear about all your future endeavors and watch him grow!

And on the floppy ears note, I completely understand that. Cali's ears never fully stood up and it still drives me crazy sometimes but I've somewhat learned to deal with it. At least when it's windy, when can make it look like her ears are fully up! :p
I love that, too. He all but grew out of them. There IS a super small patch underneath both of his ears, but basically he has a bi-face, which I adore.

Haha I love Recon's ears in the wind. I'm not going to be devastated if they don't stand (and I've thought about taping/gluing) but it would be nice. I'm going to shave them down a bit today or tomorrow so that they're lighter and see what happens for a few weeks before I decide if I'll tape. I just don't want to be all superficial. :p

I love his ears! I think he is the handsomest handsome boy. Maybe just giving the ears a little help will get them to stick up. Can't wait to see how he matures.

Toller_08

He has my favourite kind of Border Collie ears! Such a handsome boy. And you've accomplished so much with him already. He sounds wonderful. I now feel waaay behind with me puppy in comparison haha.

DJEtzel

I love his ears! I think he is the handsomest handsome boy. Maybe just giving the ears a little help will get them to stick up. Can't wait to see how he matures.
Thank you! Yes I'm thinking just a little help and they'll get there. He has developed very randomly so maybe those are just last on the list. Most of his littermate's were up around 5-6 months tops. :(

He has my favourite kind of Border Collie ears! Such a handsome boy. And you've accomplished so much with him already. He sounds wonderful. I now feel waaay behind with me puppy in comparison haha.
Thank you! He is a joy to work with, that's for sure. Haha and don't feel behind... We didn't start doing much regularly until about 4.5 months. Just basics and foundations and tricks, plus a TON of recall while we were at the park. So he's really just started gettig active... I wanted to make sure a lot of engagement and bond was there before getting us both in over our heads in sports and activities.

DJEtzel

He is super handsome! I love, love his ears. How big is he
I'm honestly not sure... I haven't measured his height because I haven't thought about it, and he hasn't been to the vet since his rabies vaccine a few months ago... I don't own a scale, either. :p

In his breeding contract it said that he shouldn't be over 40lbs at a year old... I think to prevent people from producing overweight dogs... but I'm worried he's close to that already. He's DENSE.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
In his breeding contract it said that he shouldn't be over 40lbs at a year old... I think to prevent people from producing overweight dogs... but I'm worried he's close to that already. He's DENSE.
Wait, like he's not allowed to be over 40 lbs?? Poor guy, so much pressure :p
He's so cute <3

DJEtzel

Very strange! I'm going to talk to her and ask why that is. Like I said, I think it's just to give people a good idea on how lean their dogs should be because they are a very lean/small (but dense) working:performance line.. But she should realize not every puppy is going to conform to those standards.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Hopefully she won't send the cops after you if he does push over 40. :rofl1:

DJEtzel

Hopefully she won't send the cops after you if he does push over 40. :rofl1:
Lol no I doubt that would happen. I have been emailing her and just sent some new videos of him the other day, so she can see that he is not overweight whatsoever. :)

Members online

No members online now.