Kickboxing and/or Self-Defense class

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Has anyone ever taken either of the two?

A few of us girls from church are really wanting to take one (or both) of them. We've been talking about it for a few weeks, so I figured I would ask if anyone had any input, if the enjoyed it, etc. :D

Also - where in the world do you find a class? I have literally looked/searched everywhere and haven't been real successful. I know I live in a small town, but sheesh :rolleyes:

Thanks for any input :D

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I took a bunch of women's only kickboxing last year. Loved it, but there are so many hours in a week to do stuff. I miss it.

Pops2

kickboxing is a great work out but for serious self defense you need to learn both striking & grappling skills. you also need to learn how to apply those skills to improvised weapons. 9 times out of 10 a GOOD grappler will kick the crap out of a GREAT striker. also about 95% of all real fights go to the ground in the first ten seconds.

lizzybeth727

Yeah, those two things - kickboxing, and self defense - are definately not the same. Self defense will (theoretically) help you if you're getting attacked, and kickboxing is a great aerobic workout. So it kinda depends on what you're looking for as far as which one to get into.

I did a cardio kickboxing semester in college, it was SO MUCH FUN. I've been trying to find a gym with a kickboxing class ever since - and I've lived in several different cities - and I agree, they're super hard to find. One suggestion, take a beginner class if you can, or else try maybe a private lesson with the trainer to learn how to do all the kicks and punches. Especially the kicks. 'Cause you can really hurt yourself if you do them wrong. It helps to be able to watch yourself in a mirror as well.

Locke

If you are interested in self-defense, definitely take more than one class.You will definitely not absorb all the techniques for self-defense with just one class. I guess the same applies to kickboxing, but the two have different desired outcomes.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
The only self-defense class I've ever thought of taking was a gun class.

grayada1

kickboxing is a great work out but for serious self defense you need to learn both striking & grappling skills. you also need to learn how to apply those skills to improvised weapons. 9 times out of 10 a GOOD grappler will kick the crap out of a GREAT striker. also about 95% of all real fights go to the ground in the first ten seconds.
Agree with this. Also most of the time you will have to defend youself against a larger attacker and that is what ju-jitsu is about. The tough thing is finding a ju-jitsu class that has females (its often uncomfortable for men to train with girls they dont know) so if your going to be taking it with some other girls ju-jitsu would be great. It is also an excellent workout.

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Oh, I know they aren't the same class. I'm looking at both of them - some girls from church want to take kickboxing and my best friend wants to take self-defense. I'm having trouble finding both :rolleyes:

We all know how to shoot a gun and our family-friends have a shooting range that we visit pretty often. That was one of our sunday school outings... went to shoot some skeets, targets, etc. :p

I'll look into some of the things suggested - thanks!

Last edited:

grayada1

its not easy finding these types of classes in smaller towns. If there is any sort of martial arts school near you I would call them and talk to them. They often dont have websites so you cant tell what they offer. Most will let you take a class for free to see if you like it also.

Members online

No members online now.