Supervise your children, it's not difficult

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I go back and forth....I know at 7 and 8 we were climbing neighbors fences playing FBI and unicorns etc. I know at 5-6 we were allowed out with parents just randomly checking. I do think it has gone too far to kids having no freedom but he line can be hard to draw. I struggle with it a lot myself.
I am all for kids having freedom... but they were out there on the neighbors trampoline for an hour without the neighbors even being home and mom never felt the need to tell them to get off the trampoline that doesn't belong to them.

What happens when that pool gets filled up and no one is watching them?

I don't know... it was taught to me pretty early that you don't climb the fence into neighbors yards (unless they were our friends and our friends were inviting us over to play.. then we would just jump the fence instead of walking all the way around lol). a neighbor boy wasn't taught this and came into our yard while our dog was out... our dog was nice but she really had a hate on for this kid. thankfully she was old, fat and slow (and a small dog) and he was able to get out of the yard before she bit him but she had every intention of biting him.

how long would that kid have been stuck in my yard had I not been here? and who would have gotten him out?

that's how small these kids are... they couldn't even get OUT once they were in (my side of the fence is smooth with no footholds) while standing on a two foot tall rock.

I fully realize kids will be kids but the fact they were on the neighbors trampoline for a good long while without them being home tells me Mom isn't checking too often.

Either way... it doesn't make it Ok for them to climb my fence into my backyard. it is dangerous for them and my dogs should they get hurt since my dogs are the same size as the kids entering the yard... and we dont' KNOW these kids. were it one of Hannah's friends I would be less upset but we don't KNOW these kids at all let alone know the parents

their BIG sliding glass door faces out onto our backyards, a simple glance and she could have easily checked on them. But she doesn't... she doesn't check on the dogs either as they cry and yelp at the door for an hour or so to be let in off of the porch (not even grass where they can potty)

the neighbor beside them though has a very lovely little girl who is 8 years old and I've NEVER once found her anywhere close to my yard uninvited. she has come over to our yard when we invited her over but she knows better than to just hop the fence and come in. I appreciate that and she gets lots of freedom without a hawkeye parent, I think she's earned it :)

but for kids to be jumping into yards with homes that have dogs (as most homes here do) is just dangerous and cannot be chalked up to "Oh well kids will be kids". I'm not mad at the kids... I'm mad at the parents. would it be cool if we just climbed up onto their porch and decided to hang out? NO lol it wouldn't be

do you think it's Ok for your kids to going into other peoples yards uninvited?

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
I hop all four of the fences around us all the time. Usually its to get a ball, or because I need to see if the neighbors are home or not. We know two of our neighbors really well, the other one's yard is so big they can't see us hop their fence, and we just got new neighbors. Then again, I know them, know that they don't have an aggressive dog, or that they will shoot us, and we've done it for years.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I hop all four of the fences around us all the time. Usually its to get a ball, or because I need to see if the neighbors are home or not. We know two of our neighbors really well, the other one's yard is so big they can't see us hop their fence, and we just got new neighbors. Then again, I know them, know that they don't have an aggressive dog, or that they will shoot us, and we've done it for years.
guess it's just a difference of values then. I hopped a neighbors fence once as a kid and my mom caught me and made SURE I knew that that was not OK. trespassing on peoples property was not acceptable

I don't KNOW these people at all.

To be clear, I was speaking in general terms....each situation is going to be different. I never played in other peoples backyards, but yeah, we would hop fences to cut through etc. I do not let my children do this, heck they arent allowed outside without me....but I dont know where the line is...its a big grey area.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I think it's a nice healthy thing for a group of kids to get out and meet to play, though they need to be away from the middle of the street and other peoples' yards. Both can be dangerous, and trespassing is disrespectful and something I absolutely do not appreciate, whether it's an adult or child doing it.
Also parents needs to keep in mind that young children are well, children. Their impulse control and judgment is not evolved at all. When I was 7 years old and my father left me unsupervised, I thought it was perfectly reasonable to ride my bike around busy streets at 1:00 AM and during the day talk to strangers and even go in their houses. I also played in the street and the wash where a family friend's kid died. All of that could have been avoided with a little guidance and supervision. I'm lucky I never got kidnapped or killed.

Bunny82

Hunter is not allowed in our yard by himself much less wandering down the street by himself.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I think it's a nice healthy thing for a group of kids to get out and meet to play, though they need to be away from the middle of the street and other peoples' yards. Both can be dangerous, and trespassing is disrespectful and something I absolutely do not appreciate, whether it's an adult or child doing it.
Also parents needs to keep in mind that young children are well, children. Their impulse control and judgment is not evolved at all. When I was 7 years old and my father left me unsupervised, I thought it was perfectly reasonable to ride my bike around busy streets at 1:00 AM and during the day talk to strangers and even go in their houses. I also played in the street and the wash where a family friend's kid died. All of that could have been avoided with a little guidance and supervision. I'm lucky I never got kidnapped or killed.
Oh good.. I was strting to think I was an oddball by notappreciating kidsI don't know in my yard (and getting stuck) with absolutely no one checking in on them

I can't wait to move to the country and then INVITE all the kids over lol

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
To be clear, I was speaking in general terms....each situation is going to be different. I never played in other peoples backyards, but yeah, we would hop fences to cut through etc. I do not let my children do this, heck they arent allowed outside without me....but I dont know where the line is...its a big grey area.
I can understand if a ball or something came into the yard. I probably would have laughed, got it for them and then told them that if that happens again to just knock on my door but they were just hanging out, collecting worms. Don't they have worms in their yard? My birdie with a nest on our porch needs those worms lol. (speaking of nests i need to make a thread to see if anyone can tell me what kind of bird might have made this nest... Its different)

But what really gets me is they were on The trampoline next door with no o e home. I do fear what happens when that pool is filled up :(

joce

I always had a clear definition of where I could and could not go. We lived in the country but my friends lived in town and I could not believe some of the stuff they would do!

Two sets of kids have been electrocuted on my fence now that I have witnessed. And that's when I am home so who knows how many have wandered up when I'm not. Try to stop them but first thing kids do is latch onto the strands. Horses are dangerous and I don't need neighborhood kids by them.

I can understand if a ball or something came into the yard. I probably would have laughed, got it for them and then told them that if that happens again to just knock on my door but they were just hanging out, collecting worms. Don't they have worms in their yard? My birdie with a nest on our porch needs those worms lol. (speaking of nests i need to make a thread to see if anyone can tell me what kind of bird might have made this nest... Its different)

But what really gets me is they were on The trampoline next door with no o e home. I do fear what happens when that pool is filled up :(
OH I agree that is too far for sure! I worry too because of having dogs...it of course makes it that much MORE of an issue.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
OH I agree that is too far for sure! I worry too because of having dogs...it of course makes it that much MORE of an issue.
I worry too about the dogs. I mean, my dogs are friendly and love kids but they are large dogs and these are small kids.

But hopefully now that i told them they can't do that will solve the issue. The little girls next door did it and i told them
Thwy can't do that because its dangerous and we havent had that issue since. They are sweet girls who are just bored but now they know to just knock... Or most of the time they just stand on their side of the fence and yell for hannah until she comes out.

I don't want to seem like I have no tolerance for kids and the things they do. I love kids. I just hate to see this kind of thing

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I have low tolerance for ANYONE on my property who is there uninvited. I don't care how old. I also have a 12ft electric fence that screams unsociable. :D

Romy

Taxiderpy
I'm looking at my daughter and niece and can not imagine letting them roam unsupervised for even twenty seconds. So many things could happen. How on earth can people do that to their children?!?

I have a dog that is aggressive towards children and even though I have a huge stick up my ass over her (by that I mean ALWAYS with her outside of the house, even in the 8 foot privacy fence on most sides yard) so I would be completely intolerant of this situation. I do feel badly, but on one side of our house we have a regular chain link fence. The kids next door are too tall/old for the range my child hating dog hates (she's totally cool with kids 10+) but they lost a ball in our yard and in effort not to bother us just jumped over, grabbed it, and went back. It was totally harmless and they were probably being polite in not knocking on the door for a soccer ball, but I had to go out and ask them to PLEASE never climb into our yard and they are never bothering us by knocking on the door.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I live in the middle of town and get very irritated when people cut through my property for any reason. I even started locking our 6ft privacy fence because I didn't want the meter reader just waltzing in.

We have had a couple of soccer balls go over our fence. The first one died a horrible death at the teeth of Sally. She brought us deflated soccer ball remains and we were like, "Ummm, that's not our ball....". Fortunately the last time a ball went over the fence a kid came to the door and asked us to get it.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I'm looking at my daughter and niece and can not imagine letting them roam unsupervised for even twenty seconds. So many things could happen. How on earth can people do that to their children?!?
Yeah I don't get it either. I get it if they are appropriately aged children but 5 and under just seems so wrong. The little girl next door that's 3 (I think she's closer to 4 now but not 4 yet) is always out there by herself during the day now that her sister is in school. Hannah loves to play with her and she's a very "street smart" little girl but seriously? THREE years old with absolutely no supervision?

We live in a cul de sac which is nice because I can take Hannah out there and she'll ride her bike around in it and we'll play ball and run around and stuff and it's a very family oriented street (with the exception of a few) so everyone drives in slowly and there isn't any through traffic. so it's relatively safe but I still would just send her out there and hole up inside and never check on her lol. If she's playing with the other kids often I'll sit up on our front lawn so I can keep an eye on her without hovering over her and while she follows direction very well... I know she's not quite 5 years old and if her ball rolled out into the road she could very easily forget the "don't run into the road and look for cars" rule... she's a kid. I couldn't live with myself if something happened at this age and I wasn't keeping a reasonable eye on her.

the girls next door are very sweet but they don't have much in the way of guidance or supervision. They used to be in peoples front yards all the time picking all their flowers. when we started playing with them I told them that it wasn't nice to pick other peoples flowers, no matter how pretty and they were shocked like no one had ever told them that might not be an OK thing to do. Doesn't look like they do it anymore but it seemed like no one had ever told them that playing around in a strangers yard and picking their flowers was wrong.

ACooper

Pffffffft sparks, you have no idea!

I have neighbors who have a first grader, kindergartener, and twin boys that are barely 2 years old. (she's swollen again btw) Those kids are outside unsupervised constantly!

I have went over and knocked on the door when one of the 2 year olds were STANDING on the direct tv dish, over a story off the ground, IN THE RAIN! :eek: The police have brought the twins home from around the corner BUCK NAKED when a neighbor phoned it in because they had no idea where the kids belonged! Funny how the cop knew exactly whose kids they were huh? The mail lady called the police when the little ones were following her off the property and nobody would come to the door when she knocked to inform them!

Granted, mom works-dad don't and dad is the one 'supposedly' watching these kids......but ya, I couldn't imagine letting my 2 year olds outside alone.....let alone wander the neighborhood!

Anyway, my point is calling CPS probably would do a big pile of NOTHING! You know the cops should be notifying cps with all the reports they've had to fill out, but still nothing!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Pffffffft sparks, you have no idea!

I have neighbors who have a first grader, kindergartener, and twin boys that are barely 2 years old. (she's swollen again btw) Those kids are outside unsupervised constantly!

I have went over and knocked on the door when one of the 2 year olds were STANDING on the direct tv dish, over a story off the ground, IN THE RAIN! :eek: The police have brought the twins home from around the corner BUCK NAKED when a neighbor phoned it in because they had no idea where the kids belonged! Funny how the cop knew exactly whose kids they were huh? The mail lady called the police when the little ones were following her off the property and nobody would come to the door when she knocked to inform them!

Granted, mom works-dad don't and dad is the one 'supposedly' watching these kids......but ya, I couldn't imagine letting my 2 year olds outside alone.....let alone wander the neighborhood!

Anyway, my point is calling CPS probably would do a big pile of NOTHING! You know the cops should be notifying cps with all the reports they've had to fill out, but still nothing!
Ugh. that just breaks my heart to hear stuff like that :(

Yeah I wouldn't call CPS... for one thing I don't want to invite that kind of trouble from those neighbors into my home (or CPS for that matter) and I have absolutely ZERO faith that CPS does any good for anyone that truly needs it. They are too busy harrassing decent families that have done nothing wrong rather than dealing with issues where kids are truly in danger.

I should also add that we do live in a lovely neighborhood with a great group of people who all get along and are more than willing to help each other out. We know all of our neighbors and they all know us... and then we ALL know the families that constantly have noise complaints called in on them and let their kids run wild.

When the people next door first moved in they were blaring their music SO loud that we could hear the bass in Hannahs room on the opposite side of the house. I went over and introduced myself and politely asked if they could just turn the bass down. they didn't. this went on and on for days as they moved in and got the house "in order" and one day Hubby saw one of the males that lives there (there is a large group always there but I honestly don't know who lives there and who doesn't other than the actual owner of the house) and hubby politely asked him if they could just PLEASE keep the music down so it wasn't shaking pictures off of our walls and he responded with "Sorry man... it's our culture" :yikes: it's your culture to be an inconsiderate prick? good to know lol

Hehe

this morning has been full of me trying to calm my dogs down as the neighbors grandkids keep bringing their dogs down and standing at my front fence:/ I had put the dogs out as I was trying to do a webinar for my new job and they kept roughhousing, yeah, that didnt work.

The littlest is maybe two. I am guessing they want my kids to come out and play but I am having a lazy morning and we will be leaving soon so they cant right now.

Members online

No members online now.