Name that mix?

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
Hi, I'm new here and mostly have been lurking but decided to come out of hiding. :) This is my rescue pup, Sienna. It's the enduring mystery of my life what breeds she's a mix of. Any guesses?

I don't have any pics of her standing. She's 20 lbs and 18" tall, and sleeps curled up like a fox. Her tail has the full range of motion - she holds it down normally, sometimes level with her back, and when she's really happy, it curls over her back. Her movements are very delicate and ladylike. She's not very barky and doesn't seem to have much prey drive. She's super attached to me, and reserved with strangers, but friendly once she gets to know people.

Breed guesses so far have been Sheltie, King Charles Spaniel, Pomeranian, American Eskimo. She's colored like a Shiba Inu, but with Eskie type fur. I would guess Sheltie/Eskie or Sheltie/Shiba, but can't account for the drop ears. I feel like I'm missing something obvious though! Maybe Border Collie and???

So, any guesses? Oh, and the shelter had her labeled as a Chow. Uh....riiiiight.
One of those toy chows :rolleyes: Although if she were larger I would have said chow/lab mix. Not at 20 lbs though.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I definately see one of the spitz breeds, and perhaps spaniel? Its easier to place the types than the exact breeds, especially since most mixes are not 50/50. I'd say a mininature spitz (Eskie or Pom, maybe Shiba) and one of the smaller spaniels. But there may well be other things in there.

Whatever she is, she's darling!!

And I don't see Chow at all. If there's no black on her tongue you can pretty much rule it out . . . dogs with no Chow can have black, but dogs with significant ammounts of Chow almost always have some.

By the way, welcome to Chaz . . . you can see my mystery mutt in my avatar.

CaliTerp07

Oh my gosh, she's adorable!

I agree, I see pomeranian, and perhaps spaniel in her. She actually looks kind of similar to my mystery-breed Lucy (although Lucy's all black, and has the chow spots on her tongue).

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
Thanks, yours are both adorable, too! Lilavati, I see maybe some Akita in your pup? Mystery mutts are the best!

grab01

I'm on a boat..
I see no Chow at all, but just to note..female Chows have been as small as 35 lbs full grown when they're on the smaller end.

I'd agree with the others, probably more than two breeds in there.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Thanks, yours are both adorable, too! Lilavati, I see maybe some Akita in your pup? Mystery mutts are the best!
It may be Akita, we think it might be Jindo though. The county she came from had a puppy mill that bred Jindos, and she looks a lot like one in person. But we will probably never know. Its definately one of the Asian spitzes, and its probably not Chow, so that leaves Akita and Jindo as breeds that are at all probable, since Shiba is unlikely and the others are very rare. But that's the fun of it . . .name that mix!

Here's a full body shot of Sarama:

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Pomeranian for sure I would say, and I'm liking the spaniel as the other large part. Whatever she is, she's beautiful!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I see some sort of spitz/spaniel combination maybe with a bit of a herder in there. Pom/Cavalier or pom/cocker or eskie instead of pom would be my guesses. Sheltie/pom wouldn't account for the drop ears or the broader face.

SharkBait

i see tibetan spaniel for sure. the colouring, facial features, not the longer muzzle though. reminds me of Mocha, m&msmommy on here- her dog.
v v v cute!

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
Thanks for all the guesses! I did think Pap maybe as part, since she has the hair on the ears like they do. She's much bigger than a Papillon, though.

I looked up Tibetan Spaniels, and wow! Everything but her long legs looks very similar. Maybe Tibetan Spaniel / Eskie or Whippet...now I'm more confused, LOL. Will have to do that DNA test someday!

Members online

No members online now.