Let's Talk Ibizan Hounds!

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
Hey everyone!

I am semi-new to the forum (I took a long sabbatical haha), but I am back and so excited to talk dogs.

One thing I really enjoyed about this place was the fact that 9 times out of 10, if you had a question about any breed of dog out there, there was bound to be SOMEONE who knew something beyond what you could read in a breed profile in the Howell Book of Dogs. It's awesome to hear from people with some first hand experience.

So with that being said, let's talk Ibizan Hounds!

I saw my first Ibizan at an agility trial when I was a teenager. I couldn't help but find it beautiful, but never got a chance to talk to the owner first hand. Ever since that first sighting, I've always wanted to know more.

So, let me have it! I really know very little about the breed, beyond just loving how they look. I have a small dream of adding some type of sighthound to my Shiba crew one day, and I'd be curious to know if an Ibizan could be a fit.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
There are a couple of folks with Ibizans here...

Skittledoo has a rough boy she rescued and momto8 has three of them currently. Lets hope they chime in and tell you all about them.

I generally see them when we go lure coursing. I love their long legs :)

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
There are a couple of folks with Ibizans here...

Skittledoo has a rough boy she rescued and momto8 has three of them currently. Lets hope they chime in and tell you all about them.

I generally see them when we go lure coursing. I love their long legs :)
I can't wait for them to start sharing!

I really would love to get into lure coursing. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back to the idea of adding one sighthound...just for something a little different. Granted, I could probably look into doing a CAT for Ringo, but I'm trying to focus on one title at a time right now.

And I am always going to have a soft spot for Basenjis ;) They remind me so much of Shibas personality-wise! I look forward to seeing some lure coursing photos!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
There are several near me. Here are a few photos...

Momto8's veteran bitch is in pink. In yellow is Thescelo.... somehow related to my future puppy.

kIMG_1521 by sizzzle_dog, on Flickr

kIMG_1519 by sizzzle_dog, on Flickr

kIMG_1959 by sizzzle_dog, on Flickr

kIMG_1945 by sizzzle_dog, on Flickr

kIMG_1941 by sizzzle_dog, on Flickr

I find them to have very unique temperaments for sighthounds. They're social and outgoing, and I haven't really come across any that are overly shy or aloof. They're FUN dogs to course, and quite versatile.

I know I'm going to have to make some changes when I get mine... namely hotwiring my fence and probably getting rid of some of the fun stumps in my yard. Ibizans are famous for their jumping abilities, and a 6ft fence is nothing to them unless they're trained to respect the fence.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I can't wait for them to start sharing!

I really would love to get into lure coursing. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back to the idea of adding one sighthound...just for something a little different. Granted, I could probably look into doing a CAT for Ringo, but I'm trying to focus on one title at a time right now.
Luckily there's not much you need to do for a CAT, so the CA titles are very easy to get while you're working on other titles. You just let go... and catch the dog at the end. Simple as that. :)

Airn

Luckily there's not much you need to do for a CAT, so the CA titles are very easy to get while you're working on other titles. You just let go... and catch the dog at the end. Simple as that. :)
This! When I met Sizzle and Sael at a dog event I wasn't prepared to let Gwen do coursing. Then they showed me how EASY it was and I decided that I should let her have a go at it. Logan taught Gwen to bark like a maniac while waiting and Sizzle and Sael taught me how to properly tie the coursing slip so I didn't like a (huge) idiot when I was releasing Gwen. :D

It's a lot of fun. My biggest complaint is how short it is. We had a bit of a wait due to bad planning on the courser's part and lot of dogs. I think Logan and Gwen spent more time barking at the lure and others dogs coursing than actually running themselves. :p (At least Logan and Gwen could wait outside. Sizzle's dobes had to wait in the car because they got CRAZY when they saw the lure!)

I'm not sure if there were any Ibizans there. I know there were some sighthounds but Sizzle and Sael would know more than I about the breeds.

Skittle's Joey looks like a fun dog. I love his random tufts of hair. :lol-sign:

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
I agree with Sizzle... lure coursing is something you can do while also doing other things. You should totally go for it!

As for basenji's...it has been quite the experience having my boy after previously having cocker spaniels and a collie. He keeps me on my toes that is for sure. They can be so spectacularly naughty. Are Shiba's that naughty?

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
There are quite a few Ibizan people that also lurk this forum so hopefully they will decide to also chime in. I can send momto8 a text to let her know about this thread in case she wants to add some info. She has three. She doesn't get on Chaz much anymore though.

I was on a list to get an Ibizan puppy when Joey popped up needing a home. I picked him up with the intention of helping get him to a foster family for Ibizan Hound Rescue of the US, but he ended up staying. Backing out of the litter I had intended on getting a puppy from was a really difficult decision, but at the same time Joey really pulled my heart strings and I couldn't let him go.

My experience with Ibizans is limited to my own dog and a few other Ibizans that I know so I really do hope that someone with more experience with the breed will also add more info.

Joey is a really fun dog. He can be majestic and poised and then turn around and derp happens. He has a really silly playful personality and charms just about everyone he meets. I wouldn't necessarily say he is aloof, but he can sometimes be slightly hesitant to approach new people at first, but that doesn't usually last long and before you know it he is excited about his new friends. More often than not though he sees a strange person and wants to leap right over to them to say hello so it's rare that he shows any sort of aloofness.

Joey is very affectionate. While he can be a bouncy nutter butter, he is also content to cuddle up with me in bed while I watch tv. As long as he can be by my side he doesn't care where we go.... unless of course squirrels happen... or rabbits... oh sighthounds. Sizzle made a good point btw... these guys get some SERIOUS air so high fences are a REALLY good idea. For the most part Joey wont try to jump a fence, but if he wants to he can easily scale a 5-6 foot fence with ease. I've seen him jump that high on multiple occasions.

Training... I don't know exactly what is typical as far as how easy or difficult Ibizans are to train. I really only have my experience with Joey to go by on this one. He isn't necessarily hard to train. When I first got him I thought he was a stubborn ass and I didn't feel like I could teach him anything. I later learned that I needed more patience and that his learning style is just a little different that that of my other dogs. He doesn't free shape well at all and gets frustrated if I try free shaping sessions with him. Luring seems to work better when teaching him most new things. He definitely isn't stupid at all, but he is a little slow to catch on. That may just be him though.

One thing that amazes me about this dog is how small he can curl up. He is a long and tall dog... he can literally take up my whole bed if he wants to, but then he can also curl up and fit in the smallest of spaces. I don't know how he does it... some sort of beezer magic.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
And some pics :)

Proof of cuddles (with my husband)

Modeling a new collar (lighting was a little harsh and it's a cellphone photo so...)

Hay ride this past weekend

The beezer is not amused with all the pictures

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
and some more

one of my fav pics of Joey

Prior to his wire filling in a little more...

Again prior to his wire filling in a little more. His previous owner stripped all of his wire coat so that he looked smooth. :(

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
Thanks for all of the chiming in guys! I'm really appreciating it. :)

Luckily there's not much you need to do for a CAT, so the CA titles are very easy to get while you're working on other titles. You just let go... and catch the dog at the end. Simple as that.
Wow. I might have to look into it then! To be perfectly honest, the biggest obstacle I will have to get past is my own fear of letting go of the lead. Shiba owners are pretty much hard wired to fear off-lead situations. And while my guess is that he'd be obsessed enough with the lure, that it wouldn't be an issue, I'm not gonna lie, there would be some serious cotton mouth/sweaty palms/heart palpitations going on right before the run. Admittedly, I need to start some serious work on an emergency recall.

This! When I met Sizzle and Sael at a dog event I wasn't prepared to let Gwen do coursing. Then they showed me how EASY it was and I decided that I should let her have a go at it. Logan taught Gwen to bark like a maniac while waiting and Sizzle and Sael taught me how to properly tie the coursing slip so I didn't like a (huge) idiot when I was releasing Gwen.
This really is making it sound so fun! I would love the chance to see Ringo fly, and I know he would have a blast...

They can be so spectacularly naughty. Are Shiba's that naughty?
A resounding YES! LOL. It's one of the reasons I love them so much. Smart enough to learn whatever you want to teach in 5 minutes...and then ignore it at will.

Joey is very affectionate. While he can be a bouncy nutter butter, he is also content to cuddle up with me in bed while I watch tv. As long as he can be by my side he doesn't care where we go.... unless of course squirrels happen... or rabbits... oh sighthounds. Sizzle made a good point btw... these guys get some SERIOUS air so high fences are a REALLY good idea. For the most part Joey wont try to jump a fence, but if he wants to he can easily scale a 5-6 foot fence with ease. I've seen him jump that high on multiple occasions.
I love the sound of Joey's personality. Shibas are very rarely cuddly (my current puppy is slightly more so than any dog I've had previously). For the most part I actually appreciate the independence. I love *other* people's Golden Retrievers, but I would never own one. That being said, I feel like I might enjoy the Ibizan temperament...as long as it's not a constant underfoot "look at me," "look at me," "can I help you use the toilet????" kind of thing.

What are they like around other dogs? Sociable? Mellow? Any tendency towards D.A.?

Also, I really appreciate the fence information. I currently live in a rental, so I'm dreaming of the day when hubby and I can get a place of our own with a fence. For the time being Ringo gets a lot of on leash exercise. I am PARANOID about fencing. Shibas tend to be escape artists (some diggers, some spectacular climbers), and I'm pretty sure my husband is convinced that the only way I'll be happy is if we're living in an Alcatraz-style fortress. Hotwire seems like a good idea.

Also interesting to hear about training. I tend to do a fair amount of luring with Ringo. In all honesty, a lot has to do with the fact that I second guess myself a fair amount as a trainer, and I'm constantly wondering if my bridges were timed well enough.

I am LOVING the photos everyone!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I love the sound of Joey's personality. Shibas are very rarely cuddly (my current puppy is slightly more so than any dog I've had previously). For the most part I actually appreciate the independence. I love *other* people's Golden Retrievers, but I would never own one. That being said, I feel like I might enjoy the Ibizan temperament...as long as it's not a constant underfoot "look at me," "look at me," "can I help you use the toilet????" kind of thing. It's definitely not a constant underfoot "look at me" and "OMG I have to be in YOUR space" type of thing at all. My border collie mix is more like that, but while Joey likes to cuddle and likes to be near me he doesn't HAVE to be actually IN my space all the time. He is also content to spend time doing his own thing without me having to interact with him.

What are they like around other dogs? Sociable? Mellow? Any tendency towards D.A.?
He definitely isn't mellow around other dogs. I think he will mellow out a little more as he gets older, but he is still a fairly young dog right now. I haven't seen ANY DA at all in him and I can name the number of DA Ibizans I know of on one hand alone. He's very social and loves making new dog friends. Dog parks are a lot of fun for him. Usually around other dogs he is barking and trying to get them to chase him. He loves to be chased.
My answers in red.

Also.. lure coursing is a LOT of fun and definitely recommend you get out there and try it out. I was nervous the first time because I didn't know if Joey would come back to me. He surprised me and seems to have no problem with his recall when we are out on the field. I would definitely work on an emergency recall just in case... wouldn't hurt and it's always a good idea to have a trained emergency recall.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Shiba owners are pretty much hard wired to fear off-lead situations. And while my guess is that he'd be obsessed enough with the lure, that it wouldn't be an issue, I'm not gonna lie, there would be some serious cotton mouth/sweaty palms/heart palpitations going on right before the run. Admittedly, I need to start some serious work on an emergency recall.
If it helps... you are allowed treats and/or toys at the line to assist you in catching your dog. At least, that's what I've been told and have seen treats/toys used MANY times by other people running CATs.

From what I've been told, there are certain lines that can be somewhat iffy with other dogs. But that's just what I've heard - not what I've seen.

Gypsydals

I am LOVING the photos everyone!
From what I've seen of the breed. They tend to dislike or like other dogs based on the other dogs. And from reading Ivan's breeders FB posts. They are super big clowns. They make Ivan look like a stuffy old fart, and hes far from that. None of her beezers have ever had a problem with being handed off to someone else to walk or hold.

Tashapaws

Spanish Pup
I'm here to give my 2 cents, but keep in mind some things: While I own a beezer mix, she's only inherited the crazy intelligence and some quirks, so I don't have much personal experience. Thus, most of my info comes from interacting with beezers in adoption events (here in Spain, there's the common and unreal belief that they aren't good pets, and most of the adoptable ones have escaped from hunters or been abandoned and mistreated. )
Having said so...
-They are inteligent dogs. Really intelligent ones, but sometimes in a primitive way.
-They can shut down pretty easily, but when not, they are curious, funny dogs.
-They love standing on fences to watch around, with their rear paws in the ground and the front ones over a fence.
-They aren't exactly sighthounds., they can hunt by sight and by scent, but they are built like them, and their long legs and little paws allow them to walk without problems in bushy areas without getting tangled.

Gazehounds

I have 2 Ibizan Hound boys. I also spend a lot of time with a bunch of other Ibizans as well. In my experience, Beezers are goofy, crazy, energetic, fun, affectionate, even-tempered, agile, sugary sweet (but not overly pushy), independent, noisier than most sighthounds (although in their country of origin, Spain, they are classified as primitive hunting dogs, not sighthounds), playful, focused, engaging, determined, versatile, and very, very athletic. They are clowns who love to entertain and are extremely adept at escaping (the breed can clear 6 ft from a standstill as if it is nothing). I find them to be among the most biddable "sighthound" breeds. My boys learn very quickly and, most of the time, are happy to please me. However, they are bred to be independent so they are extremely intelligent, good problem solvers, and not always in "I'm going to totally obey you now" mode. Be prepared for "what's in it for me?" hurdles in training. Positive training and play training work well. We lure course, straight race, and sometimes do conformation. We also work Renaissance Festivals with a group called The Hounds of East Fairhaven. I know Beezers who do rally, agility, and other events as well.

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
From what I've been told, there are certain lines that can be somewhat iffy with other dogs. But that's just what I've heard - not what I've seen.
Cool. This kind of temperament is something I'm happy to work with. Shibas tend to be dog aggressive, so aggression in and of itself isn't a deal-breaker to me, but I'd rather stack the odds in my favor if I decided to bring a bigger dog into the mix with my Shibas. Sounds like researching lines carefully is a good way to go, which is what I would be doing any way.

-They are inteligent dogs. Really intelligent ones, but sometimes in a primitive way.
I find them to be among the most biddable "sighthound" breeds. My boys learn very quickly and, most of the time, are happy to please me. However, they are bred to be independent so they are extremely intelligent, good problem solvers, and not always in "I'm going to totally obey you now" mode. Be prepared for "what's in it for me?" hurdles in training. Positive training and play training work well.
This is right up my alley. Shibas are very independent, and a lot of people used to training biddable dogs get REALLY frustrated and assume they're stupid, when the reality is that nothing could be further from the truth. They learn really quickly. And then they decide whether or not what you're asking them at that particular moment suits their needs. (The answer is usually "no" LOL). I enjoy training challenges, so that kind of attitude doesn't bother me, and "troubleshooting" new behaviors is part of the fun. I am a big fan of clicker training. My biggest issue with it is my own lack of finesse and/or confidence in bridging behaviors, but the progress has been pretty satisfying with my current puppy. So either I'm getting better, or he's just a LOT smarter than me (I try not to spend a lot of time dwelling on that).

Your dogs are gorgeous, BTW. Can you give me a rundown of straight racing?

Gazehounds

Straight racing is LGRA. I'll give you a quick summary, but there is more to it and the link that I provided will take you to their website. The dogs race 200 yard sprints. The first dog to cross the finish line wins, followed by 2nd, 3rd, etc. They run 3 heats and each one corresponds to a score. The dog with the highest combined score of the day wins. They have grades too, to compensate for faster and slower dogs, although with some breeds there aren't really enough dogs to run grades in some places. There are so few Greyhounds and Beezers running in this area that they don't run graded here.They can earn a title: GRC (Gazehound racing championship).

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Just wanted to say that I love the beezer pics! I have a sighthound obsession. Are those whippets or greys in that last pic? They are beautiful! (As are the ibizans!)

Members online

No members online now.