Socially confident breeds

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
I really do agree with everything everyone has said about poodles. I do think they are a very socially confidient breed. My boy Riley was Fantastic!!! I could take him anywhere, around anyone and any dog. I never had to worry about someone running up to him and his reaction. There are unfortunatly alot of shy/nervy poodles coming from BYBs. You have to get a poodle from a good breeder, make sure the parents temperament are what you want (it really is a key factor), and socialize the dog well. Fantastic breed though!

AliciaD

On second thought...
I really do agree with everything everyone has said about poodles. I do think they are a very socially confidient breed. My boy Riley was Fantastic!!! I could take him anywhere, around anyone and any dog. I never had to worry about someone running up to him and his reaction. There are unfortunatly alot of shy/nervy poodles coming from BYBs. You have to get a poodle from a good breeder, make sure the parents temperament are what you want (it really is a key factor), and socialize the dog well. Fantastic breed though!
I kind of want a standard poodle, but it's a secret though. I love the spitz family and would never stray... Except for a poodle. It's a secret love affair.

Miakoda

I wouldn't say that a DA dog is not socially confident. My APBTs were not DA because they were not confident around other dogs, rather they just thoroughly enjoyed the idea of a good fight.

Say what you will, but there are dogs that have no problems fighting other dogs on their own accord. No one is saying you should let them, but people do need to acknowledge that there is nothing wrong with (off) about a dog that wouldn't mind a scrap now and then. Dogs will be dogs.

I love that my dogs are not overreactive dogs. Sure, I work on teaching my kids (and everyone else's kids) how to properly interact with them, but I love knowing, that should one of my boys run up to the dog suddenly or accidentally step on the tail or trip and fall by or on the dog, my dogs would not overreact in a negative manner. They are calm (ok, happy tails don't count) when in groups of people, and I have no qualms about going out for walks or anything else. However, we all know that certain breeds are for certain people. :)

Boxers are just nuts. Happy nuts most of the time, but still nuts in hyper-drive. lol (However, I am seeing a quick rise in very unstable/ill-temperamented boxers. Kind of strange.)

I will admit that I like Standard Poodles. There's just something about them. I do no, however, care for the "widdle ones". Unfortunately, I've not had the best interactions with the smaller poodle varieties (as a vet tech). They ranked right up there with the Chihuahuas and Poms in terms of their willingness to detatch a finger from your hand.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
Unfortunately, I've not had the best interactions with the smaller poodle varieties (as a vet tech). They ranked right up there with the Chihuahuas and Poms in terms of their willingness to detatch a finger from your hand.
Have to agree with you there. I Adore the standards and will Always have one, but I really dont know if I would get a smaller variety. Will see in the future.

Danefied

I’m surprised that other than beagles, no one has mentioned hounds as being good with other dogs. But foxhounds, coonhounds, bloodhounds, harriers (oh, I love a good harrier) - generally those “hunt in packs†breeds, are very easy going with other dogs. Greyhounds and whippets tend to be super easy going too. (Unless the dog in question is small and furry, running fast, and wearing rabbit scented cologne.)

Love the boxer comments. :D
My experience too, they’re great with people, (though often TOO forward for some people), but jerkazoids with other dogs.
This about sums it up:
Boxers are just nuts. Happy nuts most of the time, but still nuts in hyper-drive. lol (However, I am seeing a quick rise in very unstable/ill-temperamented boxers. Kind of strange.)
I would add that around here, boxers are super popular and there are a TON of unstable ones that I wouldn’t trust around people either. That “nuts†gene is easily pushed in to unstable/unsound temperament.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Gordon setters and spinone italiano both came to mind. Aside from the socially confident aspect, the ones I have known were pretty laid back compared to other sporting breeds like the various spaniels and pointers.

Basset hounds.

And yeah, a lot of the sight hounds and scent hounds fit those criteria. The sight hounds will tend toward being more aloof. Like any breeds with "aloof" in the breed description, you will have breeders who interpret their Fido shrinking away from stranger's hands and cowering as aloofness and they'll breed them. It's not, that's fear. You do have to be aware of fearful/nervy lines out there. Correct ones though are really stable and pretty darn bombproof in public.

Duke is a (English) Pointer and he and the others I have met are all total social butterflies with both people and other dogs. Noisy kids, strangely dressed men, little dogs, giant ones they all get love from him. I actually prefer my dogs aloof but if I wanted a social breed they would be at the top of my list. The sporting and hound groups are chalk full of good examples of social and not DA dogs.

Rough/Smooth collies also get my vote, mine was less demonstrative in his need to share his love with the world than the pointers, beagles, spaniels and setters in my life but VERY stable and reliable.

Members online

No members online now.