I have such a problem...

Saje

Island dweller
I feel so bad that this happened.

My Mikey, who looks like a pitbull cross, is unneutered. I have an appointment to have him done on Jan. 26. I couldn't afford it until now.

My landlady also has a dog that is unneutered, a mini border collie (I don't know what the name of that breed is). They hate eachother. Just for the record he gets along fine with all neutered dogs and females of course. But he hates Teddy and Teddy hates him. But Mikey is bigger and today he hurt Teddy. My bf's uncle let him out this morning without putting him on the leash (there's no fence). We let him off leash sometimes (we live outside of the city) but only when we know that Teddy is in the house. Anyway, there was a loud fight out there and my bf went outside to break it up. Teddy had some teeth marks on him that looked like he had been shaken. :( God, what an awful story. When my landlady was examing him Teddy bit her and she went to the hospital to get a tetanus shot or something. Then she came back and took Teddy to the vet (I would have done it in the other order).

She told the vet that our "pitbull" bit her dog and I don't know what's going to happen about that. :( I'm really worried for Mikey. I know that his aggression is because he isn't neutered and that will be done in a few days.

We're going to keep him tied up (except when we walk him or he's in the hosue) and we are looking to move somewhere with a nice big fenced yard.

I know what I did wrong so please don't critize me. I'm beating myself up enough already. I just wanted to vent because I"m really stressed and thought maybe you guys would have some feedback.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
I know exactly how you feel. Unfortunately, my pit bull attacked my boston terrier. They have lived together for about a year, and I'd never had any problems. But, they are both trying to be dominant right now, and they won't give up. I am taking my pit this month to get her spayed as well. I hope everything works out...

Saje

Island dweller
Thanks so much for that.

I have an update:

Teddy is being kept at the vet over the weekend. I guess it was pretty serious. They said the bill would be around $300 dollars. It's the right thing for me to do to pay that, isn't it?

They have to call animal control and the vet is doing that too. Hopefully, we'll just get a fine and a warning. :( God, I hope it's nothing worse.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
Do you know exactly what happened? If both dogs were outside by theirselves, then maybe you should just pay half. I don't know the whole story, but I don't think you should be fully liable.

Saje

Island dweller
Yes, they were both outside by themselves. :( That's what Renee suggested too, sort of. I just worry cuz the dog is small, it's her land, and she's expressed concerns about Mikey before.

avenlee

Hi Saje! soooo sorry for your worries! Its an unfortunate situation however I think your going to need to resolve it. As for the vet bill (300.00?) I think you will need to pay it. If you don't and the animal control come to investigate and talk to Teddy's owner, they won't be too nice... so to say.

When we had our Lhasa Apso (Spencer), there was this little boy from next door to us that would come over and play with my girls. He would come in and shove poor Spencer which I repremanded him for. I even caught him hitting Spencer with a barbie doll. Well, finally, Spencer bit him; in the face no less! I was not at my house at the time and was at my Mom's and my husband was there and called me to tell me. The parents took him to the hospital and he required stitches in the cheek. We, of course, took care of any expenses and they, of course :rolleyes: , proceeded to sue our home owner's insurance for a whooping $3,000.00 later. We had to switch home owner's insurances after that also because they dropped us.

I hope everything works out for you :) and Mikey. He will probably be quarantined for a bit. Spencer was for 10 days and we had a BIG yellow sign on our door letting everyone in the western hemisphere know it. LOL

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Im so sorry this happened Sage. I hope it all works out for you and Mikey. Its crazy that he's a pit cross but she said oh he's a PitBull its just like come on. Im sure if you had anouther dog who disliked Teddy then the fight would have still happened . Like you said not being Nuetered yet is definatly probley why . Let us know how it goes.

Blondie

Saje, I'm sorry this happened to you. I can feel your pain, well you know the other day's story about me being afraid Blondie bit somebody. I think maybe you should pay for the bill, not exactly because you _have to_, considering that both of them were outside on their own, but because your dog bit theirs. I think it'll take you a little out of the sticky spot. I hope everything goes fine for you, please keep us posted.

Dogs will be Dogs. I sure hope everthing works out for Mikey. If they wanted to make a big thing out of it, Mikey would have been taken already.

Chazhound

Avenlee, if you already paid the expenses, suing the insurance for double payment was fraud. Unfortunately, it's cheaper for the insurance company to go ahead and pay it than to expose it.

It's almost never a good tactical position to be too quick to accept a position of total culpability. I've seen too many people really get the raw end because they tried to be too conciliatory when they really didn't bear the entire blame. You guys really, REALLY don't want me started on this subject, lol! I tend to get about three or four soapboxes high. :rolleyes:

Saje

Island dweller
Thanks Renee and everyone else. I really appreciate the support and advice. I feel like a failure right now. I'm such a big believer in neutering and I haven't been able to do it until Jan. 26. :( I'll let you know what happens

hugs to you saje...i can only imagine how you feel, i would be the same, and as said b4 dogs will be dogs..not matter what the breed....

i will keep you and mikey in my thoughts....

Brattina88

We all understand, lets just hope that the other owner will. Its a tough situation, my thoughts and prayers will be with you and Mikey.
Was the other dog outside, unatended/unleashed as well? In that case both parties would be responsible. I know you feel horrible and think you should've gotten him nutered, but remember that the other dogs should have been too! In my opinion this can not be blamed entirely on you and Mikey; it takes two to fight! Hopefully being a mix will come to Mikey's advantage now.
I don't think you should pay or offer to pay anything until you come to a mutual (written) agreement with the other owner. And even then, don't pay until you talk to the other vet and make sure that the bill is right, because I've known some owners to exagerate a bit on that. I could be wrong; just my thoughts. Good Luck, and keep us posted!

Saje

Island dweller
Thanks! Brattina I have thought it through and I agree with you completely. I will definitely make sure to get everything in writing to cover all my bases.

Thanks everyone.

I think I mentioned it but Mikey is getting neutered on Jan. 26 and I'm so thrilled about that. I think a lot of his "problems" are because of that. Maybe he'll get fat and lazy! Ha ha ha. Joking.

bubbatd

You really need to pay their bill. I don't know what the insurance rules are where you live, but in my area if you have a dog that might be agressive on your property they will not insure you. If ,because your landlord has such a dog on her property, she loses her home insurance, you could be in deep do-do. I'd do everything I could at this point to avoid a lawsuit. So sorry this happened, I know you're upset.

Saje

Island dweller
Thanks, bubbatd. I'm probably going to pay half. It is just as much her fault as mine as mentioned above.

bubbatd

That's great if she agrees with you and doesn't bring in her own doctor's fee. Fill that wine glass and relax !!

Saje

Island dweller
Doesn't matter if she agrees with me. We both had unneutered dogs, running loose on their own property and we both knew that the dogs didn't get along. Equal responsibility. People don't sue as much in Canada as they do in the states although they are starting too. And we all have health care.

But thanks those are good points.

I will have a beer and go to the movies tonight I think but I'm still working. :)

I can fully understand what you are feeling. :( Hopefully her dog will make a complete recovery & she'll be willing to come to a mutually agreeable settlement with you. Since it is her property I personally think the vet bill should be paid by you even tho her dog was also out there alone. I also want to mention that altho Mikey is being neutered this may not solve the problem and even if he seems better with other dogs afterwards I definitely wouldn't trust him with her dog again - they have had one fight and both of them will remember it in my opinion.

We'll keep all our fingers, toes & paws in our house crossed, sending good vibes your way for this to work out well for all of you. :)

bubbatd said:
You really need to pay their bill. I don't know what the insurance rules are where you live, but in my area if you have a dog that might be agressive on your property they will not insure you. If ,because your landlord has such a dog on her property, she loses her home insurance, you could be in deep do-do. I'd do everything I could at this point to avoid a lawsuit. So sorry this happened, I know you're upset.
Good point. Double-edged as well. The landlord's dog is also aggressive. The landlord may be "hoist on her own petard" by reporting this and may need to do some backpedalling to keep it from making its way to insurance . . .

Members online

No members online now.