A-Frame Question

Kayla

I have one question I was hoping someone whose been involved in agility could help answer. I'm just working through foundation type stuff with Duke at the moment but I'm just moving along through our workbook and am getting ready to start making some actual equipment.

I would like to make a portable A-frame, and have found one article on the Do It Yourself Network and am just wondering if anyone has any recommendations/ warnings/ advice on the matter.

The finished product based on following the article makes an A-frame with each panel being 8' long by 3' wide. I'd like to change it to 4' long by 3' wide, so that I can easily bring this smaller A-frame with me, to play agility at my friend's property which is much bigger. I'm just wondering if that's going to be too short for Duke to really be able to maneuver over and properly get into a 2 on/2 off type contact position, so just wondering what everyone thinks.

I will eventually go for some lessons where he can work on a proper sized A-frame, but I thought a smaller A-frame, as long as it's big enough for him to maneuver on would be ok for now.

Thanks for any input,
Kayla

CaliTerp07

We practice 2o/2o with a simple painted board. I don't think the size of the equipment matters for proofing that behavior.

Kayla

We practice 2o/2o with a simple painted board. I don't think the size of the equipment matters for proofing that behavior.
Thanks so much for your input. I will be making a seperate practice board just to setup and the bottom of a stairwell to practice just getting into position, but eventually I would like to move on to using an A-frame and am just wondering when we get there if a short A-frame will work.

Kayla

Out of curiosity (and OT), what book are you working out of?
"Agility Right From the Start" by Eva Bertilsson and Emelie Johnson Vegh

I attended a lecture by the duo back in the spring at Clicker Expo and thought they were just phenominal and loved watching their video clips. They featured a few different dog's but the big thing they emphasised that sort of made me lean towards their workbook was an emphasis on teaching independent performance away from you right from the beginning to help reduce injury. (I understand though that as other have mentioned, agility can be very dangerous)

I can't believe how poor my timing with the clicker has gotten!!! I've just begun shaping Duke to drive away from me to move forward to engage in a shaping session with whatever is in front of him and I swear I am soo sloppy between trying to juggle everything.

The last thing I like about their workbook is it talks alot of about adhearing to a handling style from day 1, which is something I didn't know much about, their preferred system is outlined from the start, but you can substitute whatever works for you and still work through the book.

Dekka

Just try me..
I would suggest a contact trainer (Mark made me one) its small, well compared to full size equip, but the angles are right, one side is a dog walk the other an A frame. So if you train your contact behaviour the dog doesn't have to relearn it on a different angle.

Ours is this style, only in aluminum. Contact Trainer

Kayla

I would suggest a contact trainer (Mark made me one) its small, well compared to full size equip, but the angles are right, one side is a dog walk the other an A frame. So if you train your contact behaviour the dog doesn't have to relearn it on a different angle.

Ours is this style, only in aluminum. Contact Trainer
Thanks so much for your suggestion Kerri, that link is super detailed!

Just curious why you made yours out of aluminum vs. wood?

Dekka

Just try me..
in part because we can. I bought mark a welder that can do aluminum (I am not sure as to the whys and wherefores of welders.. but he needed a special one to do aluminum) Aluminum is rot free, rust free and light.. our contact trainer will last for EVAR lol.

You should come play on mine ;p (well bring Duke and play with him on it...)

Kayla

You should come play on mine ;p (well bring Duke and play with him on it...)
LOL *pictures self leaping through tire jump and then sprinting off towards the A-frame*

I'd love to bring Duke over down the road, maybe closer to the spring once we've finished all of our foundation stuff and individual obstacle training at home.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
After seeing loads of equipment between trials, peoples houses, reginals and nats.. If I were to start buying more contacts (I have a full size teeter now) I'd go aluminum too. Dekka and I can easily mve her contact trainer around. Heck if needed one person can move it some..

Even a half size a frame you will likely need two people.

After seeing people's equipment (who take care of it and repaint often) rot out.. It is worth the investment in aluminum I think. Should be able to resell it near the paid for price as it shoud stay in great condition in case yu ever decided no more agility.

Members online

No members online now.