People with shelties..help!

cowgurl6254

Herding dogs rock!!!
Okay, my 12 week old sheltie puppy is suddenly shedding! I brush him at least twice a day and I still get at least 3-4 brush fulls of hair out. It's the dense undercoat that is coming out. He's not itchy, but is this normal for a 12 week old? SummerRiot...I know you can help me out here ;)

Take your dog to a grooming salon, they will use a high velocity blow dryer on him after the bath. If they do a good job, they can blow all that undercoat out of him. This is the best way to do it, since brushing it all is tedious, less likely you'll get it all and could mean more suffering for your doggy. You'll be amazed. (Make sure you express to them that you want him coat blown out, since some groomers are lazy...)

he sounds like he's blowing his puppy fur. No worries other than a clogged vaccuum. You can take him to a salon and spend the $$$$ if you want. But I just bath mine and take him out in the yard and blow dry the hair outside. Using a steel comb and a medium (in your case a short) steel pinned brush. The birds love to pick up the hair and use it to soften their nests.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Definately normal :) No worries lol

If you bath him, it will help loosen all of the undercoat for it to come out :)

He isn't fully "blowing" his coat though, its more then likely just the adult fur pushing its way through.
Chime at 4 months is starting to grow her adult coat in, she has a "skunk stripe" down her back with new fur lol

Crosbie and Jada went through the same thing :)

No need to take him to a groomers for it, unless its out of control lol

Just give him a nice bath, dry hiim and then groom him out :)

It will grow back! lol Thicker and Fuller!!

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
SummerRiot said:
Chime at 4 months is starting to grow her adult coat in, she has a "skunk stripe" down her back with new fur lol
Well thats nice to know that its normal, my Collie is also growing her adult coat and she also has a skunk stripe down her back end which makes the other fur look really short

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
lol yuppers, no worries at all, it will look wavy as well! it freaked me out when I first saw Riots growing in.. I was like GREEEAATT wavy hair - NOT good for showing lmao, now hes got the straightest hair going! lol

going to the groomer

When you puppy has all its shots you may WANT to bring him to the groomer so he begins to get used to the process. Starting young prevents problems later on. If you go to a good groomer, they'll be able to get out more hair and make the puppy look much better than you could at home.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Honestly, I find groomers for me personally a waste of money. BUT I dont have breeds that need to be clipped, and I have grown up in the "dog show scene" so I know how to properly bathe, groom and "prepare" a show dog.

As long as you bath your dogs regularly with a mild shampoo, dry and groom fully, you'll be fine.

With double coated breeds you should do a full "line grooming" once a week with a metal comb and daily grooming with a comb or wide pin brush.

Bathing your dog regularily helps your dog to have a healthier coat as well.

Fran27

LizzieCollie said:
Well thats nice to know that its normal, my Collie is also growing her adult coat and she also has a skunk stripe down her back end which makes the other fur look really short
Boris got that also when he started losing his puppy fur... It does look weird, lol.

Members online

No members online now.