Please explain this feeding issue to me...

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
Kai (2.5) and Brawt (2) have always eaten together. Kai was on free feed when we got Brawt so I just left it like that and everything was fine. Recently (about the last 4-5 months) Kai has decided that it would be a great idea to guard the bowl to the point Brawt would sit back and cry because she wouldn't let him eat. So, after a couple days of correcting her I decided to start feeding them in seperate dishes twice a day (Morning/Evening).

Now, since I've switched them to this Kai has refused to eat unless she is hand fed (and only will eat for my mother. It's like she is mad at my husband and I for doing this. Well, I suggested feeding her in the crate to my husband with the dog cracked but not shut/locked. Why will she eat in her crate but no other place? Does she not feel safe around Brawt?

Is it okay to let her eat in the crate, or does that teach bad habits? I know that the crate should be a place she feels safe, and she obviously does..but I'm really confused.

HELP!

I feed Cassie in her crate because Roxie wasn't letting her eat. She's fine, so far. I have to close the door and wait for her to finish so i can let her out. Otherwise, Roxie goes in there and steals her food.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
Mindy Miller said:
I feed Cassie in her crate because Roxie wasn't letting her eat. She's fine, so far. I have to close the door and wait for her to finish so i can let her out. Otherwise, Roxie goes in there and steals her food.
Well, it wasn't an issue of Brawt stealing Kai's food. She was the one who started the protective thing, and they have NEVER had a fight over food. I'm just wondering why this all of a sudden started.

Semaru

Maybe the portion wasn't enough so she feels the need to protect the limited food she is getting? (The switch from free feed might have given her the idea food is scarce)

Or she feels threatened by the presence of Brawt (even if he isn't trying to get at her food, she feels he might?

stick with it, put the food down for short times and she will soon get the message, whatever you do do not feed her by hand, once you start this habbit she will want to do it for life! With regurds to the crate, it depends on the dog, if she is full trained and feeding her in there isnt going to make her mess in her crate and she is happy eating there then let her, its her space and she feels the other dog cant invade her space

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
Gallien Jacks said:
stick with it, put the food down for short times and she will soon get the message, whatever you do do not feed her by hand, once you start this habbit she will want to do it for life! With regurds to the crate, it depends on the dog, if she is full trained and feeding her in there isnt going to make her mess in her crate and she is happy eating there then let her, its her space and she feels the other dog cant invade her space
They are both crate trained - I just don't want her to think she has to eat in there, as it was bought as a place to sleep/training tool.

Well, they've always been together. This isn't uncommon with dogs in this situation. Food protection or toy protection.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
Fuzz Puppy said:
Well, they've always been together. This isn't uncommon with dogs in this situation. Food protection or toy protection.
There has never been ANY type of protection. They have always played/shared toys and food fine. It wasn't a little by little thing - it was just ALL of a sudden. I'm still confused.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Crate the dogs for feeding time. This is a positive association with the crate. Mine SCRAMBLE to get in their crates the moment I start handling food bowls.

Put the food in the crate, put the dogs in their crates, and leave. Go back in 10 minutes, and remove food bowls. If they still have food in them, too bad.

Feed at the same time of day each day. She will get the point.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
RedyreRottweilers said:
Crate the dogs for feeding time. This is a positive association with the crate. Mine SCRAMBLE to get in their crates the moment I start handling food bowls.

Put the food in the crate, put the dogs in their crates, and leave. Go back in 10 minutes, and remove food bowls. If they still have food in them, too bad.

Feed at the same time of day each day. She will get the point.
We only have one crate. Would it be okay if I did one dog and then 10 minutes later switch dogs?

BTW - Where do you keep your crate(s) for your dogs? Our has always been in our bedroom, but I'm thinking I should possibly move it.

Thanks for all you help.

-Ashley

R

RedyreRottweilers

My dogs are all adults, and the crates are in my office/spare room.

They should be fed at the same time, one inside the crate, and one outside the crate, preferably not in view of each other.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
RedyreRottweilers said:
My dogs are all adults, and the crates are in my office/spare room.

They should be fed at the same time, one inside the crate, and one outside the crate, preferably not in view of each other.
That is how I've been feeding them, since she started wanted to eat in the crate. Is it bad that they share a crate? Should I get another crate and keep them seperate?

Members online

No members online now.