Average lifespan?

Fallout

Frisky Pup
What is the average lifespan for a cocker spaniel or Border Collie.... I have a cross of that and I was just wondering if anyone knew

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
most very large dogs lifespan is around 10 years st.benards,great danes and such
large dogs like labs are doing good to see 14
medium dogs a little longer somewhere inbetween small and large
small dogs can live an incredibly long time..i have seen a 20 year old toy poodle
that about it from my experience and reading

Fallout

Frisky Pup
my boy is around 12 years old he seems like hes got alot of years left in him, he's got the old dog cough lol but thats about it he's still got the energy of a puppy

Small dogs tend to live longer than large dogs. My Aunt's Poodle/Yorkie mix lived into his twenties! Larger breeds can live just as long as small breeds, but generally it's around fifteen years.

Also, don't forget that mixed breeds avoid a lot of the genetic diseases that shorten the lifespans of purebred dogs. Your boy could have 5 more years ahead of him!! What is it they say about the young at heart? :)

Fallout

Frisky Pup
Well he did used to have a bump on his back it was there for quite some time at first we thought it might be cancer but then it started to go down and it went away, it was weird.

It was probably just a fat deposit. I'm not sure why they form, but they do sometimes go away on their own. It's a pretty common thing in dogs to have a little fatty lump on their back or side. Ugly, but not dangerous.

Fallout

Frisky Pup
k cool thanks, I didn't know what category to put him under he's not a small dog but he's not large. I guess small would have been the right choice.

Melissa S.

My dog growing up...now just my parents' dog Molly is 13. She is a cocker/sheltie mix, which is close to your mix. :) She does have congenital heart disease and could go any day, but has lived a long life.

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
theers a dog were i live and he is 14 years old but hes getting to the stage wer he cant propperly walk!! bless him!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am getting ready to paint a 15 year old collie..he is an acient prince! the arthritis hurts him so tho. i am holding my breath on Mary dog's good health. We count each good day a blessing.

Remember, diet and lifestyle have a huge impact on a dog's lifespan, just like ours. Charley had a Bull Mastiff, Joe, who was around 5 years old when he rescued him according to the vet's estimate, and he had Joe for another 10 years or so!

Oh, lol! I'm watching Shiva pat Bimmer on the head with her big ol' foot and I'm thinking her life span may not be so long if she doesn't cool it . . . :eek:

avenlee

I would say the average is 13 yrs. The dogs that I grew up with from a Lhasa to a Shepard/Lab mix lived to 12 or 13. Our Sabre (Shepard/Lab) got so bad with arthritis and heart disease, it was hard to see him even struggle with each day. My brother's dog, Taz (rottie/lab) was 12, however we believe he was poisened by one of the neighbors keeping wild animals out of their yard. But we will never know. He was such a loving teddybear :( I miss him alot.

Members online