Hyia is learning

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Playing with Ressie is like playing with a warm bowl of feathers. Both dogs and Sancho are more tolerant of her then they are of the others which are wild wild crazy kittens. THey thunder, they pounce, they bite, and the kick while they play and the dogs and Sancho are having none of it. Sancho has taken a shine to Ressie because she doesn't. He chrrrs to her to invite her over. And you know that tail was not waiving because he was mad, but for her to chase.
Geez I am going to miss her. TOday it is back for the second worming.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
OUr second health check and worming..was told they all looked great. ANd YES they can stay longer, I can bring the stronger ones in and just keep the runt and REssie for a few more weeks, or I can keep the whole show a few more weeks. They said actually it is better for all of them, that they often have a hard time adjusting at 8 weeks. I think 8 weeks is too young for spay and neuter for Ressie, and the runt Pot licker. So I am pleased. It took a long time to get there, a long time to see the vet, and a long time to get back and they held it all the way.5 little kittens ran for their 2 litter boxes as soon as I put them down.

I think my MOm is falling for Ressie. I stopped there to give them food and water break, because it had been 2 hours. Ressie curled up in Mom's lap like it was her best spot of all, curled her tail around her and rubbed her cheek all over Mom's old fingers. I wish it could be so. I don't know however how safe it would be, Mom is visually impaired. I would hate for her to trip over her, I don't know. I do know however that in the next few weeks Ressie is going to make more visits because my Mom lit up. She really smiled...Ressie doens't kick or bite like the others, she doens't like to play with the others either because they make her cry. She sleeps inside the hollow log, or with the runt Potlicker but will have nothing to do with the pile of pigs.I do not blame her one iota either. It must have been awful to not be able to move and be smothered.

She asked why Hyia couldn't keep Columbus. I said because I haven't paid you back yet for Pepper's leg. Because it is twice the food, and twice the vet bills, and I don't know if I will have to move or not, because the building manager is letting this building rot. Because we are an all species family true enough, but we are also a lot in a small space. And because Hyia needs to learn that fostering is about caring and letting go. So that space stays open for the next one that needs her. There will always be a special. And it will always be hard. I want an oldster for Ressie. I want Pets for LIfe to take a good hard look at her. I secretly want my 87 year old Mom to look like she did this afternoon. More. She is basically shut in. SHe has a large airy house with Mr. Shaffer. There is room there, and she would be treated magnificantly. BUt I don't know about the floor issue. Mom broke one hip and survived it. I would be horrified if Ressie went there, and caused her to fall again.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Sweet little kitty!
Which one? The baby, or teh gentle male cat that teaches them manners and chrrs at Ressie to come play with his flag of a tail? He is hands down the best cat I have ever met.

Thinking of how happy your mom is with Reesie visiting made me think of something. How is your mom's hearing? Would you be able to get Reesie used to wearing a light, break-away collar with a small bell? That way should your Mom be walking she'd have warning to be alert to a little furball being nearby?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Mom's hearing is good. She has offered to "sponsor" Ressie providing food and vet care so Ressie could come visit her, and Hyia could have the experience of learning how to train a therapy animal. Hyia already wants to do that when she grows up, she went with me when Victor was participating and is very good with seniors. I am not making any decision right now. I know I want to, I just don't know ...I don't want to make any decision right now, I have at least 4 weeks to think about it. They said the more the kittens are handled and involved the better it is for them. I dont' think there is any doubt of their getting what they need here. I am proud of Sancho. He has been a very gentlemanly teacher of proper cat behavior for them. I think that has been a bonus for all.

WE do have a therapy group up here, at least there was one when Bronki participated. THat would be in my own county and not the other side of the moon. Gasoline was the biggest problem when I was taking Victor. I don't mind a bit popping in a nursing home down the street, but driving a half hour one way or more, is out of the question for us. i have to consolidate all trips as it is.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Glad they get to stay longer. It warms my heart to know the happiness a little kitten can bring to your mom.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Mom is the last person on earth I would ever have guessed to think I should take care of even one more thing. i laid there lst night rubbing tiny ttouch circles on silky baby toe pads and thought call Pets for LIFe TOMORROW and send them the pics and see if someone there would like to have a really awesome therapy cat. I did not get into this to add to my already overloaded boat. Neccy is 14 now and seeming great but she also got my out of bed half a dozen times last night for whatever problem she had. I know only more problems are to come there. Victor's going to lose the rest of his sight, and I am not prepared for anything. Hyia has talked about wanting to do therapy work forever. It certainly isn't my pushing my ideas on her, she loves old people, her first Mother was old. If she had her way she would put herself in the 50's she is an old fashioned kind of kid not ready for what most of her peers are in to. She needs feedback that she is perfect just the way she is. SHe is in such need of a positive direction to focus on that it really wouldnt' be a bad idea at all. BUT . I put that kitten back in with her litter mates and thought write Pes for LIfe. NOW. I looked at Neccy and thought I shouldn't have her either, but did she really make that big of impact in the overall....and then I decided thinking was giving me a huge headache.

They are also waiving all fees for kittens for the rest of the month. WHich is yet another reason for these guys to stick around at least until the beginning of next month. Free makes me horribly nervous.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
learing the right way to play with baby kittens

Aiden was here today. ANd he wanted to see them. So first we worked on their "Kitty club house no dogs allowed". THat kept us busy for awhile.

WE had to walk up to the groomers up the street and pick them out a pressie.

And of course, he had to have a club house too.

Everyone got a 10 minute turn.

IT WAS super fun.

Ressie liked his pressie most. vid

He did improve his "mouse" skills and learned to slow it down.

Now I just need to make improvements. THe tape on the top has got to go, but that was all I could find quickly.

Last edited:

gapeach

Big Mutts
Which one? The baby, or teh gentle male cat that teaches them manners and chrrs at Ressie to come play with his flag of a tail? He is hands down the best cat I have ever met.
Love them both! Sancho is a great teacher it seems. I'm loving all your pics of them.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Oh you woudln't believe the flirting going on here.

Someone is smitten with this kitten. Check out the flirt. I wish I had another memory disc so I could have caught what just happened. Sancho laid on his side with his paws outstretched and they played footies, then Ressie rolled over, and touched him again, and he rolled over and touched her back. Sighs. Zoom you know I would figure out a way. IF you were coming up for THanksgiving, or Christmas, I would gladly arrange for him to be here for you.

Surprisingly Columbus will have nothing to do with the clubhouse yet. Sancho says it needs one bigger door for him. Which I will gladly make for him.

vid

From now on referred to as Sancho's ressie face.

IF it can happen, this is group we would access. http://extension.missouri.edu/platte/PlattePetPower.aspx
I talked with Mom extensively about it. IF Hyia has a need to stay connected socially, if she needs to be around people that would let her know she is just fine exactly as she is, and she IS a caring, sensitive, lovely hearted young woman with her ethics in all the right directions, it would be a good experience for her. And again, this is not something i am pushing, it is something she has talked about ever since Victor retired. SHe liked going with me, and did so almost every time. SHe could learn to walk Ressie on a leash, she could learn about getting her use to loud sounds and sudden movement, she knows and has attended ttouch seminars. She tries very hard now to put in to practice what she learned there and Sancho doesn't mind a bit. SHe has attended dozens of visits and knows exactly what is involved and how to properly interact. The hardest part for her back then was not giving hugs. SHe was at that age where it was hard not to get her to hug everyone. She is much more mature now. SHe is at a cross roads age where the wrong direction would not be something she would be able to come out on the other side from. The damage would be catastrophic. And she does love old people and is fully comfortable being around them, ANd she has a nice smile, a good singing voice, and a sweet personality. So...I am weighing it all out. Neccy is old and tho her coming here made me feel like I needed my head examined, my mind told me one way, my heart said NO, she deserves to be comfortable in her own skin before she crosses the bridge and the world be damned if I am not going to give it to her because I CAN and there for should. So...still...but....
benefits....................................................risks
Bringing the babies here was a good decision. It was a win win, it took Hyia out of a deep depression, and brought her back to singing, laughing, and being herself. Now would the next step be a win win too? 5 is a lot. I have worked unbelievably hard to keep it no more than 3 for the last decade.

just now

my floors are a mess, but today I don't care. IT will have to wait. I am working on the tea cups and sugar bowl examples for the art unleashed auction. I have 2 more days at the very most. One done. People on the wheel can make cups one after another after another in no time flat..it took me 4 hours to figure out and hand build the one I have now. Maybe longer.
This is a very happy distraction and a good motivator to do my best.

Last edited:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
My parent's are going back for Thanksgiving...do you think Hyia would be happy to know Columbus was living with me and Sawyer?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
OF course, and it would make my heart do a happy dance. He is going to be a beautiful cat to go with his personality. His fur is really getting dense.
(i promise not to get lost this time :D)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've never actually had an indoor cat before; they've all been barn cats out at the farm. Aside from litter box and cat tree...tips?

Will he have been neutered already or will I need to take care of that? I'd honestly prefer if he wasn't a pediatric neuter.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
All kittens are wormed, have their shots, are altered, and are given a microchip.
I have asked permission for extra time so they do not have to have surgery at 8 weeks. We will stay and extra month if at all possible. I have to talk with my friend, but she said many fosters help arrange for the adoptions. It just has to be with their approval. Sancho was an outdoor cat before he came here. Erin had one thing she wanted me to promise, that he never set foot outside. And we have honored that. He adjusted quickly. These will never know the outside except for that brief baby pic. I love my birds way too much, and I love them too. Outside is nothing but dangerous around here. WE have three litter boxes right now, one in the pen, on the other side of their baby place. Near where they eat but not too close. One on the floor. One on the floor for when they get out becasue they cannot get back in, and one out here for when they have recess time. I want good habits from the get go. Later the other two can go away. We are using that newspaper pellet litter and it seems to work well. SAncho has used shredded newspaper for a year now with no problems at all, cheap, and doesnt' track. Just needs to be cleaned, here twice a day. I do put wooden blocks under the rocker and make sure there is no where to get in trouble until they grow up.
ONe thing required...lots of memory for your camera. :D
A good log for scratching. I am clipping nails about every week right now. Just the tip, to help them be use to it.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Ressie's favorite relaxing activity. I wish you could feel just how soft those feather toes are. Sancho likes to play footsie too.
SHe is sleepy, and just chilling. vids

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
IT's a miracle. If you knew VIctor, and how Sancho has poked him for the pure pleasure of seeing shriek you would know why this is a big deal. I am so proud of Victor. It is really hard to be scared of a tender warm bowl of feathers. SHe has stolen everyone's heart and now I think she is after his.
She doesn't even know it.

In all fairness, she hasn't stolen Neccy Becky's yet, but that might not happen. Neccy says, all cats are to "leave it alone, and leave me alone". And that is ok

Zoom I opened the door to check on Hyia and tell her to go to bed. What I saw was Hyia sitting in front of her computer watching an anime and Columbus sitting in front of her watching the anime. The rest were a warm pile of babies on the bed. SHe really has done a stellar job with them. They are a roar of purrs, from the minute you approach. She is going to write a little bio up on each one, what they like, what she has learned about them. I am glad they all get a fw more weeks. More clean, up, more kitten chow, but I feel a whole heck of a lot better for them having surgery at 3 months, rather than 2. Ressie and the runt who I now call Mr. Clean because you never but never have to wash his face or chest specially need some growing time. Ressies twin feels lik a cat now, substantial, she is the largest of all. Ressie feels like owl down.Columbus is really starting to get a thick coat. WE are getting them use to being brushed, and having their nails clipped. .

Members online