Is there anything wrong with feeding Taste of the Wild?

tarmjr

I look through these forums, and everyone bashes kibble. I feed all of my dogs TOTW, and they all get all the table scraps they can handle, most of which is a steak every few days and such. Is it that important to feed them RAW all of the time, or is that a status thing. When my Rottie had Cancer and wouldn't eat much, he got all the steak he could eat until the day he died, but I can't justify spending $10 day on 5 dogs each, when I don't spend that on myself. All 5 of them do get a 1/4 lb. uncooked burger once a week as a treat, but other than that, they get their TOTW, and the get all of the table scraps.

JacksonsMom

No way is raw is the only thing your dogs can eat to thrive. Some may say it is, but it's not.

I don't personally like TOTW because it's a Diamond brand food, and they've had a lot of issues in the past, it's just something I'm not comfortable with. However, a lot of dogs do well on it :)

You're doing fine. :)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I never liked TOTW even before they were a diamond product, that said they're not a bad food for everyone. I would just be extra away of the Diamond food recalls, just in case.

I feed Acana because I have it at a great price, if I did not then I would find a less expensive alternative. I would like to return to raw when I can afford(and store) bulk purchases again. Doing raw that way drastically lowers the price of your feedings.

I used to feed that to dogs that were kibble fed that came in for training. Then I had a bad experience with it and have never used it again. My personal dogs are RAW fed, but there are plenty of good dog foods too

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I look through these forums, and everyone bashes kibble.
Many people here feed their dogs raw...and many more feed their dogs kibble. Several feed both. If there is bashing on kibble it's usually a kibble someone had a bad experience with or amazement at what is put into some of the most extreme low-end kibbles.

As long as you pay attention to whether your dog thrives on his/her diet, you're good. Add some basic understanding of canine nutrition and you're better.

I personally got started on raw because I have one dog who just does not do well long-term on most kibbles...she gets rashes and seasonal hot spots as well as gunky (technical term ;) ) ears. She does well on out version of a raw diet. Ironically TOTW is the only kibble I've found that she can eat for more than a month without a rash, but she still broke out a bit in the fall. That combined with their recalls last spring made me switch my dogs back to raw as soon as I was able, but that's just my decision.

At the end of the day, a good kibble is better than a bad raw diet. And doing what works for your dog trumps all.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't think there's kibble bashing on here... at least, not kibble in general; certain brands, sure.

I prefer raw but my dogs all eat kibble sooo no it's not going to kill them. I don't like TOTW for the reasons already mentioned. Just don't think it's manufactured by the most reputable company. If your dogs do well on it though, then it just depends on how comfortable you are with feeding it.

When I worked at a pet store (for 3x years), Taste of the Wild was one of our best-selling foods. People raved about how well their dogs did on it. Relatively to other foods, we had very few complaints. Even picky dogs generally liked TotW. I recommended it all the time for an affordable kibble with great ingredients.

I feed the Pacific Stream formula currently. I'm aware of the company's questionable quality and recalls. However, my dog has a great coat, great energy, firm poos, low gas, and no itching on this food. Plus, she loves it. We've tried Wellness, Blue Buff, Innova, Innova EVO, Canidae, and Fromm (maybe some others? forgetting now), and we've gotten the best results on TotW. I simply can't afford higher quality, but there's really no need to.

Yes, it's already been said that it's not a good food because it's "Diamond" manufactured, however I personally had one of my dogs sickened from a contaminated batch before that last big recall which caused (too little too late) one of their plants to be shut down by officials. Do a Google search if you want to read the horror stories about how that plant was being run and in what condition. Needless to say, as much as I didn't trust them before in the past because of their past oversight on issues with their facilities, I completely don't trust them now.

Having said that, I personally believe there's nothing wrong with someone feeding their dog kibble, however, you MUST do your homework to find the right one! Ingredients and the GA panel is only a start, You should also research (easier done today with the internet!) the company and make sure it's one you can trust, how is their track record of recalls? It's very important to think about this just as you would for yourself. And just as it is for us too, there is absolutely no "One size fits all" diet for our dogs, I also had problems from the start with keeping weight on one of my 3 dogs on TotW, and another had to have the amount cut way back or he'd gain weight, one of my dogs is also allergic to darn near everything! I believe it's at least partly due to the Rabies vaccine, he gets worse with every one and at this point if he's alive for his next (next year!) I wont let him get it! But he's currently on a fish and sweet potato based kibble, and Lamb and rice canned (only because I can't get a decently priced source for lamb here right now).

CaliTerp07

I love TOTW. The pacific stream formula is the only food (out of dozens tried) that Lucy does well on. She was a disgusting mess on raw, but has a lovely coat, maintains a great weight, and has tons of energy on TOTW.

Feed what your dog thrives on.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I feed it and have no problems feeding it, even after reading the inspection report on their facility. Rather ESPECIALLY after reading the inspection report.
But my dad worked in a Kraft Foods plant for many years and I could probably tell people things causing them to never want to eat Mac n Cheese again. So my perspective is different.

I have considered switching but only because I can't get Payton to gain any weight; I have even looked at feeding him one thing and everybody else TOTW.

Your have to feed what you feel comfortable feeding. There are certainly people on this forum who will try to make other people feel bad about their decisions with their dogs, but that's kinda life for you... there are people who will always try to make other people feel bad because they think differently. It sounds to me like what you're feeding is working and you're comfy with it!

I feed it and have no problems feeding it, even after reading the inspection report on their facility. Rather ESPECIALLY after reading the inspection report.
But my dad worked in a Kraft Foods plant for many years and I could probably tell people things causing them to never want to eat Mac n Cheese again. So my perspective is different.
Well look at that, my father also works in a plant that produces food for Kraft (in the lab), sorry, but there is NO excuse on this planet for duct tape and cardboard ON THE FOOD LINE! My father was appalled. And no, I don't buy Kraft Mac & Cheese, still have several "Christmas give-away" boxes sitting around.
Oh, and forgot to add, both of my parents have been working in the food industry since collage (my mother gave it up for us kids), that's where they met, lol.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Well look at that, my father also works in a plant that produces food for Kraft (in the lab), sorry, but there is NO excuse on this planet for duct tape and cardboard ON THE FOOD LINE! My father was appalled. And no, I don't buy Kraft Mac & Cheese, still have several "Christmas give-away" boxes sitting around.
Oh, and forgot to add, both of my parents have been working in the food industry since collage (my mother gave it up for us kids), that's where they met, lol.
I'm actually talking about the large amounts of cockroaches and mice/mouse poop everywhere, but okay.

Lyzelle

I've fed TOTW in the past, and I've not had issues with it. All the dogs did great on it, no tear staining, no bad breath, no weight issues although I did have to feed slightly more than I would have compared to a higher quality kibble. We raised pups on it fine, too. It was a kibble I recommended often, even though people were wary of the Diamond products.

Then the reports came through about their facility and the contamination of the foods, and I ceased recommending it. But I don't believe someone is necessarily bad for feeding a food that works for their dog. If you were having issues, that would be a different story. But no issues, no issue of mine. And in the end, people will do what they want regardless.

Hillside

Original Twin
Those who feed or have fed TOTW do you have dogs with tear staining?
Saga rotates between TOTW, Nature's Variety and Merrick. She is a black dog so I don't notice any tear staining, but she has really bad eye boogers all the time. BUT she has them on EVERY food we have ever used, including raw. Murray, the former foster is on Nature's Domain and doesn't have any tearstaining.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I didn't but I don't think my dogs would really show tear stains...Mira is black, Webster has mascara, and Kim is red with dark eye pigment and her coat repels everything.

Eye boogers seem to be seasonal here rather than food-related, but we live in pollen valley so that's not surprising.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Nope. For awhile there, that was the only food Chloe could eat (that I could afford) and she did wonderful on it. When her exercise decreased, she started to get a bit tubby, so I switched her to 4Health Salmon and Potato. No issues there, either, although her coat isn't as soft as I remember (course, I've also been shaving her now, too, so...).

Cynder was on it until we adopted Gracie and Cooper (couldn't afford to feed it to all three, plus Chloe's food) and she did great on it, too. A little bit more itchy than I would have liked, but that was during the period I was trying to get her coat issues under control.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlin, as a dog store employee, eats everything. Free samples... pre-made raw, freeze dried, kibble etc..

I don't think there is anything wrong with TOTW. It is one of our most popular foods. Dogs seem to do very well on it :) find what works!

Acana is a bit above my price point at this time. So Merlin is doing Fromm, TOTW and raw.

JacksonsMom

I never liked TOTW even before they were a diamond product, that said they're not a bad food for everyone. I would just be extra away of the Diamond food recalls, just in case.
I don't think they were ever not a Diamond product? They're not simply produced at the plant (like, say, Natural Balance). They are actually a Diamond name-brand food. Just the same as Diamond Naturals etc.

Members online

No members online now.