Your favorite training books/resources/tools!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat

Saeleofu

lizzybeth727

I just got a new treat bag!!! *so excited*

(Yes, I'm a geek.)

OllyDog Treat Bag Plus : Backcountry K-9

It comes with a removable belt, so you can use the belt if you're like me and are working with a bratty dog who has learned how to rip the treat bag off of you; or you can take it off if you want to just use the regular clip. But the best thing is that it's got a magnetic closure, so you can pop it open and closed really easily. The magnets are quite strong, too, so even if it's full of treats (and it holds a little less than 2 cups, the same as a standard bag) the magnet will still hold.

Danefied

For seriously understanding how to use behavioral science to train your dog, I still love Karen Pryor's "Don't shoot the dog". Oldie but goodie. Everyone says its dry, but I blazed through it.

Suzanne Clothier's "Bones would rain from the sky" is a must for every dog owner IMO - make that every animal owner :)
Jean Donaldson's "The culture clash" also. Real eye opener, though Donaldson is a bit less human friendly than Clothier :D

Turgid Rugaas' "Calming signals in dogs" is another oldie but goodie. My own copy has every corner chewed off by puppy teeth. I wonder if I should read more in to that?

Kikopup and Tab289 are my go-to's on youtube, though I also like a lot of what Michael Ellis on Leerburg has to say. Its a bit of a personal conflict for me though since I can't stand anything Leerburg otherwise, I'm so happy now that Michael has his own youtube channel! He's not at all PR only, but his understanding of how dogs learn is spot on IMO.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
For clients/"average" dog owners:
Cautious Canine by Patricia McDonald
http://www.amazon.com/Cautious-Canine-How-Conquer-Their-Fears/dp/1891767003

Great for the average owner - deals with fear and fear aggression. When my roommate got her dog (then a foster) he was terrified of her brother and would slink away while growling anytime he came in the room. This book laid out both classical and operant conditioning exercises to help in plain English, and it totally helped. It also emphasized management in a frank way - there's a part where she says if your dog is fear aggressive and you're not willing to manage him with leashes and muzzles, then euthanasia is necessary.

Mine by Jean Donaldson
Even if I can't stand her, LOL, this is the same thing for resource guarding.

Also, Clicking with Your Dog by Peggy Tillman is good for beginner clicker trainers.

For myself, I love Morgan Spector's Clicker Training for Obedience. Full of great ideas, does use some technical language, and irritates by making the assumption that you trained Koehler and are "crossing over" (and therefor have never use treats before, lol). But it's a great guide for anybody interested in Comp. OB.

Also, for anybody interested in a formal retrieve: Keepers - Shirley's Retieve Shirley Chong's method is great.

Members online