kibble help

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
If his fur is falling out from both the chicken and beef, and he is scratching his fur out, I would switch the protein source.

Good luck, and keep us updated :)

Toller_08

Kibble wise, have you looked into California Natural (Lamb & Rice, or Herring)? It's made for dogs with allergies, and mine did well on it. Aside from that, I'm not sure what to suggest. I wish I could help, though.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
thanks herschel!!
i like the sound of that California natural with herring. is there anything bad with feeding a dog fish based foods? any mercury concerns?
theres a place near me that sells california naturals, so maybe they have it!

Herschel

Don't be worried about the mercury. If it were tuna based then it would be another story.

If they don't have it they should be able to special order it for you at no extra charge.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
that would be great.

can i be cooking, or giving him raw fish until i get that dog food (it will actually be a week or so)

DanL

10 oz of muscle meat
2 oz organ meat
3 oz grain
How much does your dog weigh? How active? You can't always go by what a chart says, you have to take into consideration your dogs activity level and metabolism. Gunnar is 85lbs. 2-3% of his weight is 2-2.5lbs of food. If I fed him that he'd waste away. I know, he was there for a while- too much ribs and hip bones. I had to bump him up to 3lbs of food per day which is more like 3.5%, and he put the weight back in in a couple weeks.

No bones? How is your dog getting any calcium without bones?

Thats as much organ meat as my 85lb and 70lb dogs get. Too much in my opinion. Bruzer, who is about 25lbs, gets maybe 1 oz and not every day, more like 3 times a week.

How about fish? That can be a good source to rotate in. At least supplement with some fish oil if nothing else.

Remember that most dogs are going to react to a new food source, so what happened with pork may be OK, and if you stuck with it it'd work out in a couple days. I try not to feed too much of the fatty parts though. Have you fed eggs at all?

I'm not sure how Shelties shed, but Gunnar will blow out his coat 2 times a year, where he sheds real heavy for a period of time. After that he sheds some but not anywhere close to what I've seen from some of the other "German Shedders" at OB class, who when you pet them the hair is flying off. So maybe he's going thru a shedding period right now.

Good luck!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
the few shelties ive met shed much like you said, literally the hair seems to come out in clumps this time of year so it COULD jsut be shedding. shelties are also a little higher energy dogs so id be giving more in terms of feeding amount suggested.

also when starting raw the first couple weeks many dogs "Detox".

if your definatly stuck on going back to kibble, calafornia natural formulars are good for allergies.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Ruckus is 32lbs. and is lazy!!

He gets his calcium from two raw meaty bones a week, and daily bone meal as a supplement. just like my book says. he is also suppleimented with brewers yeast, vit c, vit e, fish oil, wheat bran, wheat germ, and kelp. all of these the book said i NEEDED. however i dont think so. i use them anyway

no i am not stuck on going back to kibble, i am just extremly confused right now.
pork made him sick, he is allergic to chicken, i hope to god he isnt allergic to beef. that leaves me nothing but fish and whatever i can get a hunter to bring me.

Melissa_W

You might want to think about consulting Mordy about Ruckus. I had her make up a diet plan for Kai and I'm very happy with the result. I didn't feel comfortable doing it myself, because of his IBD. I have peace of mind because I know that he's on a balanced diet.
If you are interested, here is her website.
http://www.betterdogcare.com/

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
thanks for the advice. however after today i will not have internet for a while. i am moving to my dads today and he doesnt have it. i will end up getting internet after i find a job. but consulting her wouldnt do much good if its all online based.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Good luck with everything! We'll miss you! I hope everything works out and you find a good diet for Ruckus.

DanL

Ruckus is 32lbs. and is lazy!!

He gets his calcium from two raw meaty bones a week, and daily bone meal as a supplement. just like my book says. he is also suppleimented with brewers yeast, vit c, vit e, fish oil, wheat bran, wheat germ, and kelp. all of these the book said i NEEDED. however i dont think so. i use them anyway

no i am not stuck on going back to kibble, i am just extremly confused right now.
pork made him sick, he is allergic to chicken, i hope to god he isnt allergic to beef. that leaves me nothing but fish and whatever i can get a hunter to bring me.
I know you don't have internet now, but I'll comment anyway.

Many dogs are allergic to wheat. I don't see any point in giving wheat germ and wheat bran. Also the brewers yeast. These would be the 1st things I'd change. You didn't mention that in your original post about what you were feeding. Cut out the supplements (except for the vits and fish oil), go back to meat only, and monitor for a few weeks.

Hope you get a good diet sorted out soon. Is the allergy to chicken or all white meat? i would be tempted to try turkey meat.

Members online

No members online now.