Glen of Imaal Terrier

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
We have a customer who has a Glen of Imaal Terrier named Duffy and I love him! He's got the biggest head and the stubbiest legs and the wireiest fur and the sweetest disposition. That's all I really wanted to say, lol. I just love the dog! :)

Here's a picture of two Glen of Imaal Terriers, Duffy is grey like the one on the right:

Anyone know anything about the breed?

Aleron

I've not interacted with them really but a friend of mine seriously considered getting one years ago. The thing that stopped her is she was told by multiple breeders/owners that they can be very dog aggressive and some can't even live with opposite sex dogs.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Interesting, I guess I'm not super surprised to hear that, they are Terriers, after all, but Duffy is super friendly with other dogs! I guess she just got lucky with him then!

sciatrix

Interesting, I guess I'm not super surprised to hear that, they are Terriers, after all, but Duffy is super friendly with other dogs! I guess she just got lucky with him then!
They were apparently used for dog fighting for quite a while, so elevated levels of dog aggression even for terriers wouldn't surprise me.

My parents' (rescued, of unknown origin) dog looks very much like one, but given their rarity I usually guess that he's a Wheaten/corgi cross.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
They're cute in a wonky sort of way.

We have a Dandie Dinmont Terrier that shops at my store. He's my favorite customer dog ever, and his name is Watson. :p

He looks just like this one:

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
I always used to mix the Dandie Dinmont Terrier and the Glen of Imaal Terrier! I felt so bad for Duffy's owner because I'd always forget which one he was, lol!

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
They were apparently used for dog fighting for quite a while, so elevated levels of dog aggression even for terriers wouldn't surprise me.

My parents' (rescued, of unknown origin) dog looks very much like one, but given their rarity I usually guess that he's a Wheaten/corgi cross.
Duffy came in today and I talked to his owner a bit about the breed. She says that she hasn't heard of any higher rates of DA in the breed and of the three Glens she has met (in addition to Duffy) not one has been DA or DS. I've also not been able to find anything about them being historically used for dogfighting, though I guess it is possible. The historical information I have found says that they were used for hunting and herding.

I just noticed the link to the picture of your parents' dog! There seems to be some speculation that Wheatens went into making the Glen, so I can see how a Wheaten mix could look similar to one. He's handsome whatever he is! :)

Pops2

possible but not likely they were ever used in organized fighting like the bulldogs. terriers in general just have elevated levels of dog aggression.

Aleron

Duffy came in today and I talked to his owner a bit about the breed. She says that she hasn't heard of any higher rates of DA in the breed and of the three Glens she has met (in addition to Duffy) not one has been DA or DS. I've also not been able to find anything about them being historically used for dogfighting, though I guess it is possible. The historical information I have found says that they were used for hunting and herding.
My friend learned of the dog aggression issues after joining a breed discussion list and seeing a lot of people talk about having trouble with DA. Sometimes that is the best way to learn about a breed IME. A lot of GSD people are I don't know...in denial about the breed being prone to SSA but when you go to the GSD boards and there are always people asking about their two males or two females who've started fighting.

"The roots of the glen of imaal terrier lie in Ireland, and that is also why the breed has such a long and strange name that no-one besides glen owners and true dog enthusiasts can ever remember. The Glen of Imaal is a remote valley in the bleak region of Wicklow in Ireland, after which the breed has been named. There are differing tales of the glen's original uses. Most commonly the glen is said to have been used for hunting fox, badger and otter, as well as for various other tasks of the houselhold, such as controlling vermin, guarding the yard, turning spits and mills on dog wheels, pulling loads etc. Glens have also been used for blood sports such as badger baiting and dog fights for the sake of entertainment and the hope of winning a bit of cash for their masters in bets. Some (mainly working terrier owners) argue that glens have, in fact, never truly been used for hunting, but have primarily been companions with the other above mentioned uses. They claim that the hunting background is purely a misconception formed by the badger baiting and similar contests, which in fact have quite little to do with hunting and much more to do with the kinds of dramatic gladiator-like events that bull breeds were previously used for. " http://www.freewebs.com/seriousproblem/glenofimaalterrier.htm

"Some Glens can be dog aggressive. Some Glens are not able to live with other dogs. Most do well as long as they are socialized as a puppy and also have a firm guiding hand from the humans who live with them. Some folks have any number of Glens living together and doing well, and some have found that this was not possible due to hierarchy struggles. Glens can be very territorial with other animals.

In this breed, often the females are more assertive than the males in many ways. We caution about having two females living together as they sometimes will vie for the top-dog spot. It is usually the female in any Glen household that is the dominant canine-in-residence.

It is important to note that whether or not a Glen will become dog aggressive has something - but not everything - to do with early socialization and training. This trait can appear usually between ages 2 – 4 and generally is not amenable to change. It is either there…lurking in the genes - or not. Two Glens can be reared and trained similarly, and only one may develop this aggressive trait. It is a toss of the genetic dice.

It is also important to note that Glens do little posturing regarding their aggression. They can be deadly and act without warning. They are very strong dogs as well, and many owners have been pulled off their feet by their Glens.

Hierarchy is important to dogs but to Glens this seems paramount. They are exquisitely sensitive dogs in terms of hierarchy. It is helpful to become familiar with canine hierarchy and language when living with a Glen.

These are some realities about the breed best understood BEFORE you get a Glen." http://glen-of-imaal-terrier.com/state1.htm

spiffy

Glen of Imaal Terrier is a small dog with a big personality. Did you know that before this small dog breed that originates from Ireland became a home companion it was first utilized to work turn pits? Turn pits are large wheels over the heart where meat is cooked. It is not unlike today's rotisseries. Instead of being powered by electricity, the dog makes the large wheel turn. This dog breed is as well noted for being an excellent vermin hunter. But being a terrier, this dog has a mind of its own and if allowed, it would lord over its owners. The Glen of Imaal Terrier has the tendency to be the boss!:hail:

Members online

No members online now.