woohoo! Switchin' to raw!

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
Yup, im gonna feed mah girl some yummy raw food from now on. BUUUT, i am absolutely cluless as to hat to do??

I know you have to hav some sort of balance of Regular meat, organ meat, and bone ,right? But how in the world do i figure out the balance?

and, what kinds of meat should i feed? Do i have to switch it up or can i just stick with one mixture?
Say, Chicken heart, chicken liver, turkey neck(bones in) And that be all i feed? Like, I prefill ziploc baggies and freeze.

Another thing, how do i figure out how much to feed? I have a 7.8 lb yorkie, with a moderate-high energy/activity level, So, what do i do about that?

Ive come to the conclusion that im finally going to try it, because me and my aunt bought chickenheart/liver and we gave it to keely and her 9 week old lab puppy and they LOVED it. Plus keely despises kibble...

Please, ANY information you have, any links to websites with info, ANYTHING.. Please share if you have the time. I Both me and my dog will appreciate it.

And, What kind do you feed (IF you feed) And can i feed kibble too? And how do i switch? is it like switching kibbles?

Thanks

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
heres a site with lots of info! Jane Anderson's Raw Learning Site

you should be feeding from 2-4% of your dogs body weight

Variety is the spice of life! lol at first, to get your doggy used to things, start with one thing. with kenya, we did chicken quarters for a week, then we tried buffalo, beef, chicken hearts etc.. add one new thing at a time. especially with organ meats, because they are VERY rich

I also freeze kenyas meal in individual ziplocks :)

an example of a week

Monday: chicken quarters and turkey necks at night
Tuesday: Buffalo with egg
Wednesday: Chicken with chicken hearts
Thursday: Ground beef with some plain yogurt
Friday: chicken quarters

It doesn't have to be diffrent every day, but I like to do that so she doesn't get bored. but she LOVES chicken quarters

There came a 3 week period where my freezer was busted, we couldn't do raw, so i switched her to kibble for those 3 weeks then back again. it didn't affect her badly at all
some people even do raw in the morning and kibble at night

Congrats on switching to raw!

hopefully we will hear from a small dog owner.. because kenyas portions will probably be too big for your little one! lol

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
Thanks Fransheska101! I think i will try out one mixture for the first week or 2 and then try mixing it up a bit.. Yea, I dont t hink her portions would have to be very big for such a small dog. I would like to split it into 2 meals a day, half in the morning and half at night.

Now, Im going to have to get some sort of scale to measure it.. lol.

Thanks for the link, I havent had a chance to read it yet tho..

Dekka

Just try me..
I wouildn't worry to much about a scale... If my dogs start looking thin I feed more. IF they start looking fat I feed less.

But typically my guys would get a chicken back a day (the jrts) or a small frame. A couple of chicken necks, 1/2 to a 1/3 of a turkey neck. They get organ meats every week or so and get a couple of meals of it. They get about 1/2 a cup of it.

Members online

No members online now.