Discriminate Much?

DryCreek

LINKY HERE

DISCRIMINATE MUCH?

by Publisher on Tue 29 Jan 2008 10:01 AM EST | Permanent Link | Cosmos

An acquaintance called the other night to tell me a story.

He'd been at the dog park, per usual, playing fetch with his totally ball-obsessed Lab/Boxer mix. This dog doesn't care what's going on around her as long as somebody is throwing the ball. She ignores dogs, people, food - everything but her owner and that ball. He goes through quite a few of them.

Anyway, apparently a little Sheltie was behaving aggressively towards other dogs in the park and went for Dave's dog. She responded by putting the Sheltie on his back and resumed playing ball. Nobody was hurt.

Saturday night at 11:00 pm, there was a knock on the door. He answered and was greeted by two uniformed police officers, following up on the dog park incident. You see, all the dog experts out there - and I doubt there's another subject where the people with the most opinions know the least about it - think his dog is a 'pit bull'.

We know there's no such thing but I guess that hasn't trickled down to the hoi-polloi yet.

Anyway, the police left, I didn't get all the details since it was the visit itself that interested me.

A day or so later, when coming back from the dog park (where his dog is one of the most popular visitors) Dave was pulled over by not one, but two police cruisers.

Dave is middle-aged, well spoken, owns his own very successful business, and is your typical Canadian boomer. I'm telling you this in case you thought he was a young punk with a sheet or something.

Two police cruisers - the nice woman officer grilled him a bit, asked him if his dog was aggressive, etc and he truthfully answered no to all of her questions.

He doesn't know who phoned the police but he suspects it was the wife of the Sheltie owner - some people really have too little on their minds these days.

So, we've involved six police officers at a cost of about $50 per hour each to the taxpayer. While those officers are on a wild goose chase, they are not attending to more important matters.

Where is animal services in Toronto these days? Trying to figure out how to waste more money and get further into debt?

Why didn't the owner talk to Dave right at the dog park, sort it out with him?

Would this waste of resources have occurred if Dave's dog didn't look as though she might be Bryant's elusive bogeyman?

We must get this law struck down. Dog owners are at the mercy of their neighbours and other know-nothings across Ontario.

Oh, and this is one of the more benign stories I've heard this week. Yes, this week.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
What a horrible ocurence - some people really do seem to get their jollies off making other people feel miserable.

However - as a longtime attendee of dog parks both public and private, the worst thing to bring into a dog park (IMO) is a toy. It will often times create tension and aggressive responses. The only fights I've ever seen at the dog park haven been a result of a toy being present.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
What a horrible ocurence - some people really do seem to get their jollies off making other people feel miserable.

However - as a longtime attendee of dog parks both public and private, the worst thing to bring into a dog park (IMO) is a toy. It will often times create tension and aggressive responses. The only fights I've ever seen at the dog park haven been a result of a toy being present.
Toys seem to be a problem, but I've never seen a ball be one. but then, we have resident balls at our dog park . .. dozens of them. If a dog wants a ball, they can have their pick, they're just lying around. We tend to gather them under the picnic table . . . I've never seen trouble over a ball . . . but tugs, yes

Brattina88

I've seen tug toys be a problem, and espeically food (treats or owners eating fast food)!
I admit that I've taken a toy or ball for my girls. I typically only get them out if there are only one or two dogs at the park that are playing with their owners and not paying much attention to my dogs. Also, if another dog seems interested in one of my dogs toys I put them away.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I've not seen any problems with toys before. We bring our own tennis balls because Buddy will only chase squeakers. Coincidentally, they were doing work on the "all breed" section of the dog park yesterday so everyone was using the small breed section. Hellooo, smaller section with a LOT of dogs. I don't see what the problem was, if all owners have their dogs under control, there was no reason as to why they could not have used the other side (they are adding an extra gate, so the all breed section was open to the inside, versus being closed (it's a double gated entry)). We tried out the small section only because Buddy's pal was there. It was going well until this obnoxious dog would not leave Buddy alone... Buddy gave it warning after warning and apparently this dog has no manners. I finally yelled for the idiot dog's owners to get their dog and we took Buddy to the large breed section.... soon other owners started to follow and we noticed it was the owners that have full control of their dogs... so, those are the only types of problems I see at the dog park.. idiot owners with rude dogs.

Members online

No members online now.