How long do you typically leave your dogs home alone?

RD

Are you dead yet?
Eve isn't left home ALONE much, but when Tony or I am not present she is crated, and Dusk stays in the room with Tony's mom.

Eve can handle being left for a pretty long time, on the occasion that Tony and I are both working she is able to be kept crated or confined for 12 hours or so. I prefer not to do that, but in a pinch she's easy to work with.

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
Depends....it could be 5 to 15 hours. I've done 48 hours before, but my dogs live outside, so long as someone feeds them they're good to go!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I come home at lunch so only four hours at a time usually, but it has been eight hours before. It was great with Payton to be able to go home for lunch and potty him and play with him for a while. The new job is probably going to make it so I can't exactly go home for lunch anymore... it's further away with no real easy quick way to zip across town... I haven't quite figured all that out just yet. I've been very lucky to be able to go home at lunch. I know they won't languish being home for eight hours at a time, I just really enjoy the mid-day break of being able to play and work with my pups. =P

thehoundgirl

If we go anywhere like the store or whatever.. usually only 2 hours. Sometimes 3 hours. It depends but they usually aren't alone more than that. When my dad was in the hospital last month, we were gone for atleast 3 hours. But it depends what's going on. I always watch the dogs when my parents go out of town so they usually aren't left alone for very long.

SaraB

Technically they arn't ever home alone unless both the husband and I go somewhere together. The husband works overnights and I work normal hours. I bring at least one if not both dogs with me to both of my jobs everyday. If the other one is left home, my husband sleeps until like 2ish, so they are technically alone for 7 hours or so.

Doberluv

Most of the time, my dogs aren't left alone much since I am a home body and not working. But they are left for a couple hours sometimes when I have errands or shopping trips...or if I go for a night out on the town, usually longer. But typically, I'm home with them most of the time.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I work full time, flex schedule. So it's 10 hours broken into two most days (4.5 hours before lunch +4.5 after). But the flip side is I often have 3 day weekends, which are dog filled. They're fine with this schedule, but I do give a potty pad just in case I have the rare day I have to work over lunch. I feel guilty sometimes but eh... I need to work full time and they like having food. I walk them after work and work Mia before work. Give her meals in toys to keep her occupied somewhat.

monkeys23

Someone is usually always home since I live with roommates and our schedules are all different. Usually no more than 4hrs alone on average though. Scout is always crated when unsupervised, but I've been letting Lily have the run of the house so she can sleep on my bed instead of her crate pan.

Longest I've left them was when mom and I went to visit family one weekend and our family friend watched them, but her old GSD was still alive so the girls couldn't be at her place. So they stayed on their tie-out's at my mom's (my stepdad isn't trustworthy as a dog caretaker, hence him not being responsible for their care in this instance) and J took them on good pasture runs morning and night, brushed them twice while I was gone, and was fine with feeding the prebagged meals I'd put in the fridge on the back porch. They did great. I guess Lily chirped and howled the whole day we were on our way back... she always knows somehow.

Also I was unemployed/doing odd jobs when I got both of them. I also knew Scout for six months prior, so she knew our routine already before I took her. :)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
My mom works from home so during the week, at most they are left alone for an hour or two if she runs to the store when she's done working.

During the weekends it can be longer just because we're in and out of the house a lot - but it's still not more than a couple hours.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I work full time, flex schedule. So it's 10 hours broken into two most days (4.5 hours before lunch +4.5 after).
Just fyi, I know my math doesn't add here. I meant 9 hour work plus commute. I work 9 hour days 4 days a week and then 8 hours one day every two weeks. Then I get 2-3 days off every week. I can come home at lunch most days.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
It all depends on how long my workday is. I work anywhere from 6-10 1/2 hours (only a ten minute commute though), so they can be alone anywhere from 7-11 hours. Although there is generally always someone home at my house, so Upendi and Mina run free in the house with my gramma and Cara hangs out uncrated in my bedroom. :)

GipsyQueen

For those of you who take your dogs to work - how did you get them used to the working environment? Was it a problem, or did they adjust quickly?

I'll be using public transport (tram is 2 minutes from our apartment) so we'll need to train that... alot. The first time we went on a train with Gipsy... ohhh boy. :eek: She decided that she just HAD TO SIT on the seats. :rolleyes:

Zhucca

Lab Love
For those of you who take your dogs to work - how did you get them used to the working environment? Was it a problem, or did they adjust quickly?

I'll be using public transport (tram is 2 minutes from our apartment) so we'll need to train that... alot. The first time we went on a train with Gipsy... ohhh boy. :eek: She decided that she just HAD TO SIT on the seats. :rolleyes:

Duke adjusted really quickly to a work environment. He just doesn't know how to leave clients alone, so sometimes he gets locked out in the "waiting area". Other than that, he stays in the office even with the large garage door open, or the front door open. He doesn't chew on any of the materials.. basically just enforce good house manners/raise a polite dog and i don't think you'd have an issue with your dog at work.

and lol, Duke sits on the seats on trains too. If it's an empty train I let him... :eek:

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
My guys are rarely left home alone for longer than an hour or two. My family members have fairly flexible schedules, so there's usually someone around the house most of the time. I also have the option of taking one of them to work with me. :)

Members online

No members online now.