Going wide! Decisions decisions...

So basically I need help deciding on which wide angle lens to get for my D80. Ive narrowed it to about 5 lenses, but am not sure which would be the best bang for the buck. Also how much of a difference will there be between a 12-24mm, and a 10-20mm, or the 11-16mm lenses?

It will be used primarily for landscapes, and some architecture.

Heres my choices in no specific order.

#1 - Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X Pro DX..... It has excellent reviews, and sub $500 price tag. I also like the fact that the lens remains a constant length during zooming, and has a focus clutch for easy transitions between MF and AF.

#2 - Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM - Also has excellent reviews, and price. The HSM is also a plus, should I ever decide to sell the lens.

#3 - Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM - Basically same as above just not quite as fast, and about $200 cheaper.

#4 - Sigma AF 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX HSM DG..... Again, good reviews, but at the high end of my price range.

#5 - Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX F2.8 - Again, great reviews, and in my price range...the only downside I can see it the short focal length.

Thanks in advance everyone!

11-16 would be my pick.

-the shorter focal ranged zooms tend to be sharper than the longer ones.
-f/2.8 might not be used all that much in shooting landscapes, but it makes looking through the lens a bit nicer.

Having said that, the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 produce beautiful results and the Pentax 12-24 f/4 (same optics as the Tokina) also does very well.

Wow, I didn't realize somebody had commented. Haha, anyway thanks Andrew! I think I'm leaning towards the 11-16mm. I have had more people recommend it than the 10-20mm.

Members online

No members online now.