Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - Info wanted please

Ilyena

I've been thinking and have pretty much set my mind on getting a cavalier after I graduate school next year and I would appreciate hearing some personal experiences, both good and bad, about owning this breed (like what kind of temperament, how's the health in your cav's, do yours bark a lot, can you leave him/her alone while you work, etc). Also how severe is this chasing instinct I keep reading about? Can you keep your dog off leash at all?

The heart problem in particular worried me to the point where I almost decided another race would be best but I figure as long as I buy from a good reputable breeder it'll be fine. I'll be doing a ton of research in that area before I decide from who I'll buy.

It's great to hear that you'll be doing a lot of research. I do not own a Cavalier so I cannot offer any personal information in regards to experiences. However, I just wanted to chime in and say that all dogs have their health problems and every breed has something that they are prone to. Don't let that deter you, as you said, get a dog from a reputable breeder, and it shouldn't be too much of a worry. I do believe you should be getting their heart "checked out" every few months as well.

hi i own 2 cavalier king charles spaniels called Rosie and emi.
the good points in a cavalier are they.
.are kind natured
.love to curl up on your lap
. Make great family dogs
.are good with other animals
.easy to train

the bad points of this breed
. health problems
. can be obessed barker.

My cavaliers are off lead in the park they do chase wild life but they dont hurt them, if u socalise your puppy from a young age it will grow in to a happy cavalier. Cavaliers i have know are very good when left alone as long as you leave some toys,food for him/her

if u do plan to get a cavalier, you will be filled with love,and laughter they are very goofy,cheeky little dogs and you will have great fun with your pup.

what colour would u get? boy/girl?

adn rosie my ruby cavalier has had a problem with her back leg called dislocated patella. she had an oberation and is doing well
and when u get your cavalier spayed they tend to put on weight so be careful what u feed your cavaliers.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW DOG

Melissa_W

My friend has a CKCS/Cocker mix and she is the cutest, sweetest thing. She's definitely a people dog. She loves to curl up in anyone's lap. She's also smart and attentive. She's a great little dog...

Ilyena

Thanks all. If anyone else has any more experiences please share. :)

I already PM'ed suzanne but I can answer her questions here as well in case anyone else wants to know. I'm going to get a male, preferably blenheim coloured. But I consider it more important that the pup will have health-cleared parents and grandparents than the colour so I would settle for other colours as well. And I won't neuter the dog. No, I'm not planning to breed, but it's against the animal protection laws in my country to neuter/spay dogs unless it's for medical reasons.

My Mate Chipper

Like you i thought long and very very hard about which dog would be suited best to me and i also was worried about health problems.

But i'm happy to say i made the right choice:)

Chipper is wonderful, playful and very very cuddley. he follows me everywhere the kitchen, bathroom study his nickname is shadow, because he is always with me.

health problems, only get him or her from a trusted breader. Chipper has had no problems.
In regards to training, toilet was a nightmare (not all his fault we moved house when he was 2months)

Going to the park, one word "treats" and lots of them. he will come back!

he drops, rolls over and even hi-5s.

chipper hates birds, but don't think he would ever hurt one.

oh and he sleeps in the bed with me, under the covers and with his head on my arm.

in getting a boy or girl- girls love you boys are in love with you!

Members online

No members online now.