Best Guard dog

filarotten

Fila the love
Violet21 said:
I agree thats so scary.. I say never ever leave your dogs out overnight. If you want a backyard dog don't have one.. its cruel to your dog.

Just a note, I do not own backyard dogs. My three live in the house with us. All five acres are fenced, but I would never leave my dogs out all night. Too many beasties lurk on our property.

My dogs are allowed to sleep on our bed. We have never had dominance issues do to this.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
One should also understand the liability that comes with owning a dog that might rise to your defense.

Violet21 said:
Funny you are saying that. you breed Rotties??

Or, you have to be a breeder to know about dominant breeds is that it :p
What is your point?

I understand the liability quite well. I have excellent fencing and locked gates and trained dogs.

Owning a dog who will defend YOU or YOUR PROPERTY is a liability that one should understand, lest the consequences of such a dog's actions cause serious financial and legal problems for the owner.

oriondw

user not active
Violet21 said:
and if that does not work, he shall growl, and if the person assualts you, the dog will restrain him by sitting on the person or disarming their weapon if any.
Are you kidding?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Violet21 said:
A protective dog puts himself between you and the threat, and if that does not work, he shall growl, and if the person assualts you, the dog will restrain him by sitting on the person or disarming their weapon if any.
:confused: :confused:
I really hope you're kidding. But in case you're not...

Nope, that's not true. You're getting a Cane Corso, right? If you get a Corso, rest assured that it will not try to flop its butt down on top of a person trying to assault you. Nor will it look at the person and determine whether or not they have a weapon or not. They will attack full-on with all teeth bared, regardless whether the person is old, young, armed or unarmed, which is exactly what a good protection dog SHOULD do.

Violet21 said:
He really should not bite at all, and if he does it should be a restraining bite.
That's not a good protection dog. A good protective dog, when it decides that a bite is really needed, will latch on like an alligator. Trainers of protection dogs spend a lot of time with a dog, often starting in puppyhood, to develop that powerful bite to the max. A high-drive protective dog will not do a "restraining" bite.

If you're getting a corso, I think you need to do a lot more research on protective dogs. Just like any breed of dog, you should learn a lot about how to handle the breed's traits before you even come home with a puppy.

Last edited:

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Violet,

I'm afraid you have the wrong idea about how to correct an aggression problem. I would recommend you check out a very good, possibly renowned trainer in your area and ask about how he would deal with these problems - feel free to ask for any other advice as well, also wouldn't be a bad idea to enroll in an obedience class. Have you visited your breeder? If you haven't, I'd recommend you talk to him/her about how to go about with training and socialization - these are key in raising a well-behaved, well-adjusted dog.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Um. Violet. Even our family's soft-mouthed, friendly Labrador did not protect that way. LOL.
My Chow mix was an excellent guardian, but no she did not sit on people to restrain them. She was only 65-70lbs. :p And you seem to think that a protective dog is either an uncontrollable lunging maniac or an overly passive dog that sits on people as its primary defense. Nobody really knew my dog was protective, until they saw her when she had a reason to be. She would play with the neighbourhood kids every day and was politely aloof with new people.

Having dogs, period, is a liability because 99% of them WILL defend their territory. My Border Collie is very friendly, but if somebody he doesn't know tries to get in when we aren't there to welcome them, he will protect his house/yard. I haven't met many dogs that wouldn't, it just goes against normal dog behavior and the instinct to protect what is theirs.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Even my bealge will protect me if nessisary. Not that she could do much damage, unless a 3yr old broke in, but still she would try

filarotten

Fila the love
Violet21 said:
As well, a protective dog does not bite someone because they look at you wrong. A protective dog puts himself between you and the threat, and if that does not work, he shall growl, and if the person assualts you, the dog will restrain him by sitting on the person or disarming their weapon if any.

The dog should not bite if someone looks at him crosseyed. He really should not bite at all, and if he does it should be a restraining bite.

Violet, sweetie, I am in know way trying to be rude, but seriously this is not another golden. A CC will give its life to protect you. We do strive to to teach our dogs and socialize them to know the difference between situations. My dogs will often stand between me and a stranger or sit between us, Brutus grabbed a tool from my husbands helper. But, what you are referring to, is not a life threatening situation. In the face of real danger, someone breaking into your house, trying to rob, kill or rape you, Fluffy will react with a vengeance, it's only thought will be to protect you and your family. Fluffy will bite and draw blood.
Owning a protective breed dog is a liability.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
heck, i have 2 chihuahuas, one of which is a mear 3lbs...even HE will protect me with his life...there the best alarm system ive EVER owned...and have a remarkably loud bark...and even though their bite is small i like to refer to them as rabid squirrels, they keep biting and moving if they feel the need to.

(when i was 7 i was walking 3 of my grandads show chis, their total weight was 10 lbs, a large man came walking neer me, they growled he when tot attack me either a mugging or a rape both of whcih were very common in the area i grew up...he changed his mind when he suddenly had 3 tiny chis hanging off various body parts and relentlasly moving and biting, those 3 tiny chihuahas got that 180lb full grown man on the run and bleeding pretty good...

a good protection dog will NOT just restrain...any dog with an ounce of the desire ot protect its people will protect with all force and might...even if its only 3lbs of it!

Fila is right, Violet. You really do need to understand that a Corso will bite to protect you and will give its life for you. This is not a dog who quits. This is not a dog that wants to just say, "Boo! Please go away now." This is a dog that is hard-wired to eliminate danger to his family and all under his protection. Even an Olde English Mastiff, the most laid-back of the Mastiff breeds, will react to a threat in a decisive manner.

D

Dobiegurl

gaddylovesdogs said:
People who are obsessed with their dogs attacking and killing things disgust me. Do you really want your dog to kill somebody? Because if that happens you'll have people saying your dog is vicious and the dog will be euthanized. I would much rather my dogs stay alive than die because some jerk wants to steal something from me. You say we're going crazy with this dogs dying thing? Um, hello, lots intruders carry weapons - they want to commit a crime, and they don't want anyone to stop them. One bullet could easily injure or kill a dog. I know my dogs would protect me - they are very protective and good at sensing things about people. But I don't want them to kill somebody and then have to be euthanized for protecting me. And I don't want them to be shot or stabbed and die.
Let me just say this. I rather my dog kill somebody before they kill me. My dog will not be euthanized if he was protecting me from a person who threatened my life on my property. There is no way in hell I would want my dog to sit back while I get attacked and killed. The same thing with him. If their was a dog attacking my dog I would kill the other dog before he kills my dog. I think my life is more valuable than any thief or murderer and there will be a fight if they try to euthanize my dog for protecting me.

R

rottiegirl

Dobiegurl said:
Let me just say this. I rather my dog kill somebody before they kill me. My dog will not be euthanized if he was protecting me from a person who threatened my life on my property. There is no way in hell I would want my dog to sit back while I get attacked and killed. The same thing with him. If their was a dog attacking my dog I would kill the other dog before he kills my dog. I think my life is more valuable than any thief or murderer and there will be a fight if they try to euthanize my dog for protecting me.
I agree with you 100%!!

RD

Are you dead yet?
Gaddy, there are risks with every job given to dogs. Cattle dogs can have their skulls kicked in, service dogs can be injured while working, patrol/military dogs can be shot, search and rescue dogs can get lost or killed. heck, even an agility dog can take its eyes off of what it's doing, fall off the a-frame and break its neck. Anything can happen. The same goes for protection dogs getting shot and killed or wounded. Yes, there is a risk when you have a working dog. I protect my dog from all I can, but short of keeping him in a nice big bubble, I can't be sure that nothing will ever happen to him.

Dobiegurl said:
I agree. If my dog seriously hurt or killed somebody (unlikely, but it's all hypothetical. I hope we are never in such a situation) in my defense, I would do everything possible to defend his life. However, it seems that whenever something happens involving a dog harming a human, the dog is heavily blamed while the human is made to look like the victim (even if they were breaking into your house and raping you, they are still the "unfortunate victim" of a vicious dog attack.)

And there is no decision to be made when weighing the value of my dog's life versus that of an aggressive dog running at large. My devotion is to him, and I will protect him no matter what.

Staff online

Members online