Pukey chihuahua

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
His Tinyness isn't feeling so hot. Thursday night he barfed up his mostly-digested dinner at midnight, followed by bile every half hour or so until 5am. This was awesome because I had to be at work at 6:30. He puked three of four times yesterday at work, all before 1 pm, and then again once this morning.

He's obviously not feeling well, but he's pooping and peeing. I've been dribbling pedialyte down him periodically, and he has been drinking a bit on his own. He's not interested in kibble, but will eat canned food, hot dog bits, cheese, and Taco Bell "steak".

There are a couple of vets open on the weekend here, so I'll take him in if he gets worse. I'm just not sure what happened. He's not particularly crazy about food, so it would be odd for him to have eaten something weird in the yard. Puking without diarrea seems weird, too.

crazedACD

Poor pink dog :(. I would definitely bring him in for bloodwork if it is ongoing, it can be anything from pancreatitis to kidney problems to a blockage.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
He doesn't quite have his appetite back, but he's still peeing and pooping normally, and is willing to eat a little canned food provided it is room temperature or warmer. Maybe a stomach bug or virus? The puking without diarrhea is kind of odd.

JacksonsMom

I would definitely not be feeding him hot dogs, cheese and taco bell. If it's something like pancreatitis, you could just be fueling the fire, so to speak.

I would try feeding bland chicken & rice for a few days and see if his tummy settles. Start gradually mixing in his regular food and if there's no other problems, maybe it was just upset stomach.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I would definitely not be feeding him hot dogs, cheese and taco bell. If it's something like pancreatitis, you could just be fueling the fire, so to speak.

I would try feeding bland chicken & rice for a few days and see if his tummy settles. Start gradually mixing in his regular food and if there's no other problems, maybe it was just upset stomach.
This ^^
I get wanting him to eat, but I don't think junk food will be helpful.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
I get that, and he didn't get more than a crumb of any of these. We were just testing his appetite. I tried feeding him chicken and rice, but he won't eat chicken under normal circumstances and I think trying to talk him into eating it in this case just resulted in him going longer without food. Right now he's eating canned Wild Calling food mixed with pedialyte.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Sounds a lot like Tango when he had his major pancreatitis attack. Tango won't eat rice so instead I gave him oatmeal with a little lowfat cottage cheese when we were easing him back on to food.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
Vet says most likely an isolated GI upset given his normal temperature, willingness to eat Taco Bell, and lack of other symptoms and previous issues. She found some digested blood during his rectal exam and believes it to be from all the irritation. We have some antibiotics and Sucralfate to soothe his tummy, and the vet recommended we try lowfat cottage cheese and boiled pasta or potatoes. I also got some lean ground beef to boil for him.

They took Ru to give him some sub-q fluids and he came back looking like a water balloon. His harness didn't even fit him. I haven't taken off his jacket yet this evening so I don't know if he's still all weird and squishy.

Members online

No members online now.