Does anyone have this problem?

RoxyinLa

I am frantically trying to retrain my poodle not to pee on the floor. She has been through a lot in the past two years with us moving to a new house, then after being here a short time being wallopped by Hurricane Rita and having to evacuate then having to come home to everything upside down and no electricity for almost two weeks. We've gotten the major repairs done and put up a hurricane fence in the back yard so that all I have to do is open the back door and the dogs go out to potty. Well, it doesn't matter how long I leave her outside...she always comes back in and pees on the floor. I've watched her out the window and she does pee when she goes out, but it never fails...she will do it again the minute I let her back in. My other dog does not do this. I am wondering if it could be some kind of mental thing...that maybe she was traumatized by the storm (we all were!) and she is insecure so she is "marking" her territory. (Do females even do that?) And she does this during the day when I'm at work because I find several little puddles in different parts of the house when I get home. I've tried newspapers and potty pads but she won't use them. I hate to have to confine her to one room because of this. She's been through a lot already and I just want her to be happy. Can anyone help me?
Thanks!
Roxy

R

RedyreRottweilers

1) no more watching out the window. Go WITH her. FOOD REWARD all outdoor elimination. As she is urinating outside while you are standing there, give it a name. Say GO PEE PEE, good girl, GO PEE PEE while she is doing it. The second she is done, pop a nice food reward in her mouth.

2) Supervise absolutely in the house. Use baby gates, leash her to your belt, use crates, etc.

Confine her in a safe area while you are gone. I do not recommend a room. Use a crate, or an exercise pen with an appropriate paper or wee wee pad for her to use.

She is clearly telling you she is not ready for the run of the house when you are gone, and she does not understand that she is to urinate outside.

Help her by managing her life so that she is outside when she needs to urinate, and by PREVENTING her house soiling when you are gone, or restricting her to a small area.

A vet check is also always a good idea when issues such as these present themselves, to make sure there is not a physical reason for the lapse in housetraining.

RoxyinLa

Thanks for the suggestions! I've gone outside with her and it didn't take her long to realize that if she tee tee's outside she will get some loving and a jerky treat...Now when I walk into the house she runs to the back door and wags and barks! That went great! I guess I've forgotten how smart she really is...(funny how dog OWNERS need training sometimes! ) Supervising her while I'm home will be easy because she never leaves my side. She is constantly with me, on me, trying to get into a room if it is blocked by a baby gate and whining until I eventually give in because she sounds SO pitiful. The only time she sits with my husband is if I'm not home or if he is eating. (Training him is another matter!) I will try the exercise pen idea while I'm at work because we are having new floors installed in about ten days and I can't have her messing them up. I know she will freak out while she is confined because she freaks out when I leave her and go to work. I can hear her crying (LOUDLY) and my dad, who lives next door, said that it goes on for quite awhile every day when I leave. I'm sure I spoiled her and now she is the one suffering for it. I have another dog that she totally ignores unless the other dog comes around me, then Bambi growls and shows her teeth like she is going to attack. She actually does this with small children too and I'm afraid she would bite out of jealousy. The weird thing is that she is 4 years old and she didn't start doing any of this until we moved to a new house last year and then went through the hurricane not long afterward. My groomer said I need to socialize her more, but it's kind of hard when she behaves so badly. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions on the housetraining...That has to be my first priority. One problem at a time...

R

RedyreRottweilers

You have a little dog who is guarding a "kill zone" around her. I would stop this behavior immediately. If you can't do it yourself, consult a trainer. This is a problem that WILL escalate if you don't deal with it properly and promptly.

Saje

Island dweller
It sounds like things are going well but I would still take her to a vet. She could have a UTI.

RoxyinLa

I will have the UTI (I'm assuming that means urinary tract infection :) thing checked out. I've been there, and now that I think about it her symptoms do apply...urinating often in small amounts. As for as her protecting a "kill zone", I know that this is dangerous. I'd hate to have her bite a child or have someone sue me. I see that you both have big dogs that could be deadly if they got aggressive. How do you show them that you are the boss? How do you dicipline aggressive behavior? I love my dog as I'd love my child, but she really embarrasses me sometimes. Thanks again for the help!

Members online

No members online now.