Clone your favourite pooch!!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh good. Now Beau and I can amass our army to take over the world.

No seriously, that's just kind of creepy. It won't be the same dog, just the same genetics. Plus that's a LOT of money and there are plenty of new dogs to share your life with. Different, yes, but I find them to be equally as worthy.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
They were already doing it with cats . . . dogs were just more difficult.

Since it can be done, it will be done, I'm afraid. There will always be some fool who thinks they can resserect their pet and will pay for it.

Honestly its just a tad creepy to me. I would love to have blaze around for the rest of my life, or I would have loved to keep our other dogs CJ1, Lassie, CJ2,& Sweetie. But death happens, its unrealistic to have them cloned and expect them to be the same dog. I think if Blaze died and then I had him cloned after a year, to even have him back int he house again would scream the horror movie "Pet cemetary" to me lol

Dekka

Just try me..
For me, I think the soul is part of the individual not a part of the biology. So while you may get a dog that looks similar (they will not look the same.. markings will be different) and may have similar features when it comes to temperament-It will most definitly NOT be the same dog.

Scamper, one of the top barrel horses of all time was a gelding. So they cloned him so his clone can breed to pass on his skills. They are not sure if the colt will show the same promise in the ring, as his predecessor. And they have commented how the new horse is NOT the same as the old one.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Honestly its just a tad creepy to me. I would love to have blaze around for the rest of my life, or I would have loved to keep our other dogs CJ1, Lassie, CJ2,& Sweetie. But death happens, its unrealistic to have them cloned and expect them to be the same dog. I think if Blaze died and then I had him cloned after a year, to even have him back int he house again would scream the horror movie "Pet cemetary" to me lol
There's definately the creepy aspect there . . . I don't adopt look-a-like animals for that reason. Though piebald animals don't have the same markings at their clone parents . . .

What really disturbs me about this, is that since people pay for it . . . odds are, no matter how many times you tell them, they think they're getting the same animal . . . or one so similar they won't be able to tell. As we know from human identical twins, however, genetic duplicates are not exactly alike, or even necessiarly all that similar. And clones are LESS alike than identical twins . . . they don't share mitochondrial DNA, they have different womb enviroments (which makes a difference in terms of which genes are switched on). Cloning breeding stock makes some sense . . . but cloning companion animals really doesn't . . . unless people are happy with the illusion. But it stikes me as unfair to the cloned animal . . . and a scam on the prospective owner . . . that on some level everyone wants the dead animal back . . . not a mere genetic duplicate . . .

Now, cloning children, that REALLY gives me the creeps. Unlike a dog, that will never know that you want it to be just like its genetic donor . . . a child will know. And people will be unable to help themselves from wanting this child to be just like the last one . . . . UGH . . .

Dekka

Just try me..
There's definately the creepy aspect there . . . I don't adopt look-a-like animals for that reason. Though piebald animals don't have the same markings at their clone parents . . .

What really disturbs me about this, is that since people pay for it . . . odds are, no matter how many times you tell them, they think they're getting the same animal . . . or one so similar they won't be able to tell. As we know from human identical twins, however, genetic duplicates are not exactly alike, or even necessiarly all that similar. And clones are LESS alike than identical twins . . . they don't share mitochondrial DNA, they have different womb enviroments (which makes a difference in terms of which genes are switched on). Cloning breeding stock makes some sense . . . but cloning companion animals really doesn't . . . unless people are happy with the illusion. But it stikes me as unfair to the cloned animal . . . and a scam on the prospective owner . . . that on some level everyone wants the dead animal back . . . not a mere genetic duplicate . . .

Now, cloning children, that REALLY gives me the creeps. Unlike a dog, that will never know that you want it to be just like its genetic donor . . . a child will know. And people will be unable to help themselves from wanting this child to be just like the last one . . . . UGH . . .
Ewww cloning children.. the ultimate in creepy. I am not sure though what effect mDNA would make on a clone. all the mitochondria does (lol that we know of) is help with cellular respiration.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Yup just what i need another mentaly retarded howls like a hound back talking duck retrieving doberman that ran into my car so hard she dented it running around. on second thought that could be entertaining. lmao

sisco16

koda bear
Yea I think I would rather not muck with such things. Like someone else mentioned there are plenty of other dogs out there and when i move out im gonna probably adopt another dog.

Members online

No members online now.