A Chi & Pit

Ivy

I got this as an e-mail this morning. I thought it was a nice story to share instead of always hearing the horrible things that happen.

I am a Pennsylvania State Dog Warden and I received a call concerning two strays that showed up on a front porch early one morning.

When I got there, this is who greeted me:
A female Pit Bull and a male Chihuahua.
The Chihuahua was guarding the Pit Bull!!!

They looked to have been on their own for a while. The Chihuahua was missing fur and the Pit Bull had an injured paw.

I was able to slip a leash over the Pit Bull and walk her into a cage and put her in my truck.

However, the Chihuahua would not allow me to get near him but would not leave the Pit Bull behind…….So I thought of a plan to get the Chihuahua into my truck.

My first option was to make a ramp by using a board.

This proved to be a bit too challenging for the little guy.

I found a stool and it worked like a charm! Perfect! He was in!

Once on the tailgate though, the Chihuahua would not let me get near without putting up a fuss!
Every time I neared, he would bark and snarl, cautioning me to stay away. If I came too close he would jump off and we would start all over again. So I sat on the ground, about 25 feet away, and slowly scooted my way over, all the time having a conversation with a Chihuahua that was guarding a Pit Bull!

Eventually he let me get close enough so we could have a face to face & heart to heart discussion.
I told him that his intentions were very noble and would not go unrewarded for the both of them.

-- Unfortunately with the abundance of Pit Bulls and general misunderstanding of the breed, they are not easily adopted and when found by a Dog Warden, Animal Control officer or Dog Catcher, they usually end up at an Animal Control facility that holds them for 48 hours. If they are not claimed, they are euthanized. However due to this little guy’s tenacity and I do believe true affection for his Pit Bull lady, I was not going to let that happen. --

So with my promise to be their protector, he let me pick him up.

However he wanted nothing to do with separate cages. So together they went!

I took the Chihuahua, his Pit Bull and their story to the Washington County Humane Society.

It took some time to get them into the shelter, not because of who they were, but due to lack of space. Their story of dedication and should I dare say love won the hearts of everyone who came in contact with them. Eventually a space was set up for them in a restroom in the lobby and they settled in. The shelter intends to find them a home that they can share together.

Last edited:

Ivy

The happy ending to this story is not a typical one for most Pit Bulls who are running at large.
It took the determination of this one small, scrappy Chihuahua to save the life of this Pit Bull.
Can you imagine how many lives could be saved if we humans took the time to look past the stereotype and really looked at each dog as a dog?

You may find a loving, loyal and dedicated companion to fight for like our Chihuahua friend did.

This little man and I both extend thanks to the Washington County Humane Society for giving them a second chance at a life together.

Perhaps this story will give you a second chance to revisit your thoughts and opinions concerning Pit Bulls. They deserve the opportunity to overcome a stereotype that can most certainly lead them to death.

These two thank you for that opportunity.

Members online

No members online now.