can dog get sick eating bird food?

fwed

My dog is always sneaking into the bird's cage and eating the bird seeds...can he get sick? so far it doesn't seem to effect him but he does it all the time.

Romy

Taxiderpy
He won't digest them very well, likely, if you check his poo they are going right through him. I can't imagine it hurting him unless he ate several pounds at once. It might get expensive if he's eating a lot though, as I know that stuff isn't exactly cheap.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Is this the same dog with the potential seizures? I'd put a stop to this, on the off-chance that he's highly allergic to something in the birdseed.

fwed

Is this the same dog with the potential seizures? I'd put a stop to this, on the off-chance that he's highly allergic to something in the birdseed.
No, it's my other dog freddie. If it's not one dog, it's the other huh?

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
We had a client whos dog went out and ate birdseed in the yard and developed pancreatitis from it. She still has to be monitored closely and have a restricted diet otherwise it will reoccur. I would keep him away from it.

subrat10

It's really not good for the health of your dog,it may create problems for the dog in future if it continuously repeat it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amanda885

I am no vet, but even if you can't visually tell it's hurting him, you really don't know whats going on inside just yet. It seems harmless, since it's just seeds, but you never know.. I would just try to have him refrain from eating it, since someone above mentioned pancreatitis can occur.

just to be on the safe side, i'd cut him off...

maybe he wants to be a bird? hehe

Members online