Is it wrong to hold a large dog?

Roxy's CD

Ok, so I've been debating on whether to post this or not, for two reasons. One being it's hard to explain (solved I took a pic) and two because, yes I may actually be in the wrong, I'm just not sure.

So, Hades has group lessons every Tuesday night. There's another lady in the class with a registered Staf and she is, well a know it all. Nice though.

As many of you know I got Hades very very young. The first 3 weeks of his life, I carried him around like a baby swaddled in a blankie. Everywhere I went. We were inseparable, and still are. Now, I think that because we got him so young and carried him and babied him, he loves to cuddle and be held! I don't really have a problem with this.

At our lesson, we were going in the room one at a time to practice our send outs and recalls over a jump. So the rest of us just sat and waited in the sitting room.

Hades is tired, so he sits in front of me tail wagging, no whining or anything, I know he wants to be picked up. So, I have a pic to explain how he sits on me, just picture me behind him... I'm here by myself so I cant take a pic of us sitting together.lol

And this lady starts reaming me out! You shouldn't hold your dog! He's too big! And the way he's sitting means you abuse him because it's an extremely submissive position... blah blah blah. Making me feel like an idiot.

My coach said to nevermind her, and that the way he lets me hold him is not exactly submissive but trusting of me..... It was just really embarassing, I didn't really say anything back to her, because I wasn't sure at the time. I think she may just have said it because people we're laughing at how cute he looked, and she was tiffed that Hades has a very nice stand and her dog won't stand yet. (We practice stand stays everyday when I groom them)

I dunno, here's the pic, tell me what you think.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I don't see anything wrong with it, but I'm not the best person to ask. That's a great bond you two have!

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Oh, and all 68 pounds of Buddy will crawl into mine or my husband's lap... if we're sitting at the dog park and Buddy is tired, he'll come to us and just plop down.. I don't see anything wrong with his bahavior at all.

T

tessa_s212

Roxy's CD, I don't see anything wrong with letting your dog sit on you like that. I just think the other woman was a bit psycho in the head. :D

Roxy's CD

LOL @ psycho.

It was just kind of humiliating she did it in front of everyone in the class.. I just really started taking formal lessons a few months ago, so at the time I thought maybe she was right... And she did it when my trainer wasn't around either... My trainer never would've let that happen, she knows that I would never purposely do anything to hurt either of my dogs and am extremely dedicated ot their training, love and care.

She might've just been having a bad too... she made a few sarcastic comments to me during the lesson. About "bully breeds" and how to train them and how they should be. Ex) Hades does have a bit of DA, I think it's a mix of Roxy not being there either... At school he's all alone, no Roxy there to protect to him, so a lot of his fussin is mainly to try and look tough so no one will mess with him. Well on a recall this poodle mix, just took off, running crazily around the room, and the dog came running right toward us. Hades stood up, hair on his neck and started to growl. I corrected him. The lady then says, "Wow, that's bad eh? You should get on top of that!"

What do you think I'm doing in class!?!?!?!? It makes me feel irresponsible but I know I'm doing everything I can.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It sounds like the lady has more words than common sense or manners. I'd ignore her, especially since your trainer doesn't see a problem with it. She'd probably flip over Aubrey, who will *always* roll over on her back when you call her. She just wants a belly rub and will pop right back up and bound away when released, but it does sort of look like we beat her if you didn't know her.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
LMAO omg.. such a funny lady!

In Riots RallyO class, I put him in my lap or flip him over onto his back in my arms all the time - people DO think i'm nuts putting the big fluffy boy on my lap - but only because he "looks" heavier then he is lol

Riot hates it though - another reason why I do it to him.. I dont like it when he gets his way... He defiantely prefers to sit at my feet lmao

L

LabBreeder

It sounds like psycho woman has issues. Seems like she's jealous of your relationship with Hades and THINKS she knows everything. Has she been there longer than you? Ask her some questions about her breed one day and see what she has to say when put on the spot. LOL
If she's wrong, tell her where she can find the right answer and that in the future you'd appreciate it if she left the training of YOUR dog up to YOU. :)

Sheka

That lady is crazy, i hold all my dogs all the time and they love it! it shows that ur dog trusts u and wants to be close to u.

L

LabBreeder

Tira loves being held. She'll jump in the recliner with you and lay with her head on your chest and a foot on either side, like she's huggin ya...awwww. :) She'll also lay with her head in your lap if your sitting on the couch, or if you're laying down she'll lay beside ya. It's cute and loving.

I think Hades loves you very much. He got used to being held and cared for that way as a puppy and it has just carried over to his "adult" life. He'll probably always like to be held. I think it makes him feel secure, loved and cared for.

...some people.....think they know your dog better than you do.......

i dont think there is anything wrong with what u do

its pretty funny to say you got to work on your dog WHILE you are in a TRAINING class :rolleyes: :p
some people just like making others feel bad.

like when i take baily for a walk. sometimes he still freaks when another dog walks by and i get this "typical mean little yappy dog" look from the other owner OR they actually say it. they dont know that i already put a lot of work in it and that he already does a LOT better.

people like stereotyps.....if a dog is submissive it got abused, bullie breeds are mean and little dogs are yappy ankle biters :rolleyes: ..........

just ignore people like that

filarotten

Fila the love
Well if this abuse, then mine are abused. If I sit on the floor Roxie will come lay in my lap, she will roll over for a belly rub, Brutus does the same thing, except most of him hangs off, he is so big. They would both be in my lap if it was big enough. I used to hold mine while on their back, their stomach, over my shoulder, which ever way they were comfortable. I really miss those days...My babies are so big.

Even Maggie, who can actually sit on my lap, loves to lay on her back while being held, and so does Spike.

What a Dumb woman.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I rocked Bronki in my arms (all 80 lbs of him) at least once a day for his seven years with me. I don't regret a single second of it. I rocked him the day he was born too. If there is something wrong with that, then nothing in this world is right.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
LOL!!
He is on his back looking directly at you. Thats not submission in a abusive form its a sign of trust.
My dogs dont know they arent lap dogs. Even my 80lbs male Red. He still wants to crawl into my lap. Nothing wrong with it.
I would have either ignored her or told her that my relationship with my dog is none of her business. Then go about my merry way.

Members online

No members online now.