"Imperial" Shih Tzu

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I took my pups to doggie daycare today and there was a cute little puppy in the little dog room that looked like a shih tzu puppy. I asked the lady who worked there if it was indeed a shih, and she said the owners had said he is an "Imperial" shih tzu. Basically a shih that is bred smaller and costs more! The owners probably think the dog is a special breed and all :rolleyes:. Anybody here ever heard of an Imperial Shih Tzu?

pup-man

Permanent Troll
It's a fancy name for a tiny or "tea cup" version of the breed. It's not recognized in any clubs.....

Tinaweena

Yes I've heard of them. The imperials are actually smaller than the tea cups. They cost a fortune and have tons and tons of health issues. Most importantly the eyes. It's a large, buggy eyed breed to begin with (I should know I've owned them my entire life and LOVE shih tzus) When you have those eyes in a smaller skull it spells disaster.
I've seen cases where the tea cup and imperials will just sneeze and dislodge an eye. And by dislodge I mean it falls out of their head and has to be removed surgically.
I saw one at the dog park, and was horrified, I at first went up to the dog started petting it and asked the lady how many months old it was and she said "Tiny is 13!" I was like "Oh, why so small, was it a resuce from a puppy mill? poor little thing" The owner was less than impressed.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
a mate at my school told me he got a miniature prince dexter maltese which is a special breed of maltese and i'm like theres only one type of maltese and then he was like, you don't no anything about dogs and i was like, at least i didnt pay extra for a dog just because of its name lol

Members online

No members online now.