What do you feed?

JacksonsMom

Kind of a mixture. We were feeding Acana Duck & Pear for a while -- he does well on it. We also have been feeding Go! and Now! every now and again. We had a bag of Dr. Tim's GF in between there too and still have some of that left. I like to experiment a bit, and see what he does best on. He definitely did horrible on Fromm (ate it for 7 months or so, not happy with results) so no more of that.

He definitely seems to do best on Acana Singles and NOW (I prefer Now over Go, too). Overall I think I've discovered he does best on moderate protein/fat, and maybe not so complicated formulas (only one or two sources of meat, etc). So I try to find simple-ish formulas but still with enough protein/fat since he is so active.

I don't do many extras -- he just gets canned food usually for dinner (it's always Weruva or Cesar if I'm being cheap), occasionally he gets a squirt of salmon oil when I remember, and I sprinkle some Wysong Dentatreat on his food. Treats are almost always Cloud Star Buddy Biscuits (soft ones) and I rotate thru flavors.

So anyway currently he is eating Now GF Small Breed.

Maxy24

Tucker is on Taste of the Wild (high prairie) with Wellness stew wet food. The only other kibble he's been on was Acana (wild prairie) but we took him off after a few months because his gas was horrendous and disrupted our happiness lol. I'd personally like to experiment a bit more to find a food where his poop isn't so gross (Phoebe who eats Pedigree has firmer, less odoriferous poop than him and that sort of bothers me), but he's really my parents' dog. His poop isn't super loose or anything, so it's not uncomfortable for him, and the price is good, his coat is good, and my dad hates change. So TOTW it is!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Right now, they're both eating Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream puppy formula.

But, I will be buying a bag of 4Health Salmon and Potato after this bag is up, due to cost being an issue and the fact that I've fed it before and they did great on it, and that is what my mom's two dogs are on and they do great on it as well. Now that Abrams isn't a wee baby puppy anymore, I'm less concerned about feeding an adult-only formula as I was before.

Whatever is nice quality and on sale. Wesley and Cleo are still on the Go! from that accidental dirt cheap PetcareRX sale, and puppy will be on puppy fromm, courtesy of chaz member's basement food, and then probably various foods, once again, depending on what is good/on sale.
*snort*

Hudson gets fed whatever catches my eye on that trip to the store.

I just finished a bag of Fromm Adult and just opened up a bag of Wellness Simple. I've done Wellness Core, Earthborn, etc.

crazedACD

Skye and Zoie get Earthborn Bison 90% of the time, Romeo gets BB Wilderness weight control, and the rest of the dogs get Blue Buffalo, Canidae, sometimes Chicken Soup and Taste of the Wild. If I actually have to purchase food I go for Fromm.

Dagwall

Just a few weeks ago I started feeding partial raw so still transitioning into it but going well so far. He's getting Fromm beef and veg grain free in the AM and raw in the PM.

The last couple bags of kibble before the beef and veg where a rotation of grain inclusive Fromm formulas. He did great on the pork and applesauce, bad on the duck, okay on the salmon. Before that we've rotated through just about all the TotW and Earthborne formulas and he did well.

SpringerLover

I should say that I haven't found a food I don't feel the need to supplement. Raw or kibble, I add in some type of oil. Right now I'm using up some free Cod Liver Oil I got on Courage and Rascal (the only two that will eat food 'contaminated' with it, or in Buzz's case-Cod isn't recommended for dogs with kidney issues) and using the new Grizzly Pollock Oil for Buzz, Gaby, and Rasza. Bailey's been getting capsules lately due to the convenience of capsule vs oil.

I also love, love, love the effects I see with Solid Gold SeaMeal, so everyone but Buzz (allergic) and Courage get that as well.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Raw, but last week we fed kibble (Merrick B.G.) because our raw supplier was backed up and didn't have our order ready on time.

Hillside

Original Twin
Nico eats the Nutrisource Heartland Select grain free and does really, really well on it. Before that he was only able to tolerate Natural Balance sweet potato and venison. I tried him on several different foods and NONE of them sat very well on his system.

Saga eats anything that is chicken, turkey or red meat (other than lamb) free. She gets whatever meets her and my standards. Usually it is one of the Merrick foods.

Everything.

I'll feed anything I can get from work, as long as it's decent quality. I usually stick with grain free but not always. We rotate between a ton of different brands and flavors, and they get a dry/wet/raw/freeze dried mixture. Right now they're on Fromm dry, Natural Balance canned, Natures Variety raw, and Stella & Chewys freeze dried.

They like it, they do well on it, and it works!

SpringerLover

Everything.

I'll feed anything I can get from work, as long as it's decent quality. I usually stick with grain free but not always. We rotate between a ton of different brands and flavors, and they get a dry/wet/raw/freeze dried mixture. Right now they're on Fromm dry, Natural Balance canned, Natures Variety raw, and Stella & Chewys freeze dried.

They like it, they do well on it, and it works!
Psst, you need to update your signature... ;)

A little of this, a little of that.

Squash and Maisy are primarily on raw. Sometimes pre-made, sometimes not. Closest to PMR but I will add veggies or eggs or some sardines or this or that. They also get some (of Pip's) kibble, some canned, and some dehydrated raw. Depending on what is thawed and how lazy I am feeling on any given day.

Pip is on Wellness Core Reduced Fat, because I let him get fat last fall/winter. His weight is actually down where I want it now, but I'm probably going to maintain him on it indefinitely. (And he's delighted to get bigger portions.) He actually does terrible if he gets more than a few bites of raw per meal, very pukey and refuses to eat.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
We are on a rotation of Earthborn Holistics GF, 4Health GF, and Acana GF (though I haven't fed Acana in quite a while). I'm not picky about proteins... nobody is allergic to anything, so they get whatever I think they will like. :rofl1: We normally go with a prairie or seafood though.

In the past, we've fed Nutrisource GF, TOTW GF, Wellness CORE, Canidae GF, Merrick GF, Diamond Naturals when Harlow was a year or so and some Kirkland brand when we were living with that couple in CO.

Nutrisource, TOTW, Merrick, and the Kirkland brand food all gave Harlow UTI's, so those are all out. Wellness CORE is pretty pricey around here, as is Canidae. I really like how they do on Earthborn. 4Health is meh, but they do well on it and it's pretty inexpensive. They do GREAT on Acana, but we can only afford the Prarielands bag and even that stretches the dog food budget a little bit. When the foster leaves, we will probably feed it again for rotations.

I would LOVE to feed raw, but I was pretty sure my dogs were going to die last time I tried so I'm kind of nervous to give it a shot again. I would also love to give Go! a try, as Seal seemed to do pretty well on it.

Living in Fr,choice is not great.
Both dogs are on Royal Canin(large breeds) which is considered,here,as one of the top brand,with Pro Plan,Hills,etc.
Tania is doing great,on it but not Gaia as she has soft poop.
Considering changing to rawfeed unless I can find Acana,at an affordable price.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Little bit of everything here.

Acana is his kibble usually, though we rotate flavours. He also gets Now sometimes, it's similarly priced.

Sometimes he get the kibble on its own, sometimes I mix in some wet food or freeze dried raw. He also gets raw animal parts on a semi-regular basis as snacks. He gets supplements here and there too - mostly fish oil in the winter and dental enzymes when he's fed from a bowl.

Staff online

Members online