Breeds that fit me

Maxy24

Now that Tucker is going to come live with me after college I've had to reevaluate the idea of getting an APBT as my next dog. I do not like the idea of crate and rotate and would really like to avoid that possibility so it seems I'd be better with a breed more likely to be dog friendly. So, since Tucker doesn't fill all of my doggy needs I do want to think of what I could get instead. Now I'm likely just going to get an adult rescue mutt, but I still like to have an idea of general breed tendencies in case the dog I like seems to have an obvious breed, plus I just think it's fun to see what you all think. Keep in mind this won't be for at least 3 years.

So, physical stuff:
I'm gonna say size doesn't matter right now. I don't want anything much smaller than Tucker though, who is 15 pounds. I don't want anything that needs professional grooming and I don't like beards. Nothing with super duper thick fur like great Pyrs or Newfoundlands and no excessive drooling.

Temperament stuff:
I like alert, attentive, and enthusiastic dogs. Dogs who are always ready to DO stuff and are PUMPED about it. I do want the dog to be capable of laying down and chewing on a toy if I'm busy, but really like enthusiasm and energy. I need the dog to be fine with dogs, including my small dog. I'd like to foster dogs as well. Being good with cats is optional, I would enjoy having cats but it's not something I absolutely need. I would like to make my dog a therapy dog, so they must enjoy strangers touching them as well. I like dogs that form tight bonds and are the type to follow their owner from room to room. I like very affectionate dogs who would be thrilled if you just pet them all day long. I'd like the dog to have good athletic ability as well (I'm just not attracted to dogs who have bodies so out of proportion or altered that they can't be athletic and agile). I'd like to go out and do stuff with the dog, parks, pet stores, hiking, dog friendly events, and walks. I like dogs that make me laugh, so nothing terribly dignified. I like a dog that is excitable, I want to be able to get them riled up just by acting like a goof. I like dogs that love to play, especially tug. I don't like excessive barking so no really vocal breeds.

Training stuff:
I have found Tucker to be somewhat irritating in training, he's sort of slow to catch on and it frustrates me. But that's something I should probably overcome. The most important things to me is that the dog stays engaged and upbeat during the training, a dog who enjoys trying to figure out what to do and doesn't give up easily. I also don't like some of the physically slow dogs. I remember a Pyr and a Berner that were just so sluggish while following commands. Like the owner would say sit and the dog would look at him, think, start rocking back and forth on his back legs while slowly lowering his bottom to the ground. When he heeled he walked at a slugs pace, just meandering along. That would drive me nuts.

So, what do you think?

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
So, physical stuff:
I'm gonna say size doesn't matter right now. I don't want anything much smaller than Tucker though, who is 15 pounds. I don't want anything that needs professional grooming and I don't like beards. Nothing with super duper thick fur like great Pyrs or Newfoundlands and no excessive drooling.

Temperament stuff:
I like alert, attentive, and enthusiastic dogs. Dogs who are always ready to DO stuff and are PUMPED about it. I do want the dog to be capable of laying down and chewing on a toy if I'm busy, but really like enthusiasm and energy. I need the dog to be fine with dogs, including my small dog. I'd like to foster dogs as well. Being good with cats is optional, I would enjoy having cats but it's not something I absolutely need. I would like to make my dog a therapy dog, so they must enjoy strangers touching them as well. I like dogs that form tight bonds and are the type to follow their owner from room to room. I like very affectionate dogs who would be thrilled if you just pet them all day long. I'd like the dog to have good athletic ability as well. I'd like to go out and do stuff with the dog, parks, pet stores, hiking, dog friendly events, and walks. I like dogs that make me laugh, so nothing terribly dignified. I like a dog that is excitable, I want to be able to get them riled up just by acting like a goof. I like dogs that love to play, especially tug. I don't like excessive barking so no really vocal breeds.

Training stuff:
I have found Tucker to be somewhat irritating in training, he's sort of slow to catch on and it frustrates me. But that's something I should probably overcome. The most important things to me is that the dog stays engaged and upbeat during the training, a dog who enjoys trying to figure out what to do and doesn't give up easily. I also don't like some of the physically slow dogs. I remember a Pyr and a Berner that were just so sluggish while following commands. Like the owner would say sit and the dog would look at him, think, start rocking back and forth on his back legs while slowly lowering his bottom to the ground. When he heeled he walked at a slugs pace, just meandering along. That would drive me nuts.

So, what do you think?
A Doberman might actually fit the bill. Doberman traits in blue, from your description of what you're wanting. I put in red the things that may not fit a dobe. I think if you found an easygoing Doberman bitch, you'd be fine. A male is almost guaranteed to be iffy with other male dogs, but a good female fits the bill quite well.

Obviously my four girls all get along. As a side note, all my dobes get along well with little dogs and cats.

That said, they are pretty serious dogs. They make me laugh, but I understand their sense of humor. Dobermans won't be as patently silly as, say, a setter or a spaniel.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Golden retriever! Your list of needs is so like a golden that I swear it reads like a breed description, lol. Our family had a golden retriever and she was a sweet, wonderful dog.

lizzybeth727

I think the right Smooth Collie could be perfect for you.
YES!

My comments in blue:
So, physical stuff:
Obviously a smooth collie would have the coat you like, and doesn't drool. I don't remember the breed standard, but I think bitches could be as little as 50 pounds, and dogs could get up to 75. I think Sael's Logan is just over 70. Keegan will probably barely hit 60. I think he's a great size; rarely do I ever complain that he's too big to do something, but then, he's actually smaller than most of the service dogs I work with so maybe I'm just used to large dogs.

Temperament stuff:
I like alert, attentive, and enthusiastic dogs. Collie? Check. Dogs who are always ready to DO stuff and are PUMPED about it Check..

I do want the dog to be capable of laying down and chewing on a toy if I'm busy, but really like enthusiasm and energy. Keegan didn't lay down much as a puppy, but since about 12 months he's really started to mellow out. Currently he is actually laying down entertaining himself with a nylabone. :)

I need the dog to be fine with dogs, including my small dog. I'd like to foster dogs as well. Being good with cats is optional, I would enjoy having cats but it's not something I absolutely need.Collies are known for being particularly friendly with all animals. Keegan LOVES my cats, and gets along great with other dogs.

I would like to make my dog a therapy dog, so they must enjoy strangers touching them as wellCollies are also known for being good with people (a la Lassie)..

I like dogs that form tight bonds and are the type to follow their owner from room to roomMy friend is fostering a collie mix who follows him around all the time, and he's complaining about that. :rolleyes: I like "shadow dogs" myself, and Keegan's definately my shadow. :).

I like very affectionate dogs who would be thrilled if you just pet them all day longKeegan's not particularly into tactile, but I think it's either an age thing or just an individual preference. Most collies I've been around really like tactile..

I'd like the dog to have good athletic ability as well (I'm just not attracted to dogs who have bodies so out of proportion or altered that they can't be athletic and agile)Check.. I'd like to go out and do stuff with the dog, parks, pet stores, hiking, dog friendly events, and walksI like all that too... so does Keegan..

I like dogs that make me laugh, so nothing terribly dignifiedCheck, LOL.. I like a dog that is excitable, I want to be able to get them riled up just by acting like a goof. I like dogs that love to play, especially tugDone and done..

I don't like excessive barking so no really vocal breeds.OK.... Collies do like to bark. BUT, I personally HATE barking as well, so I work a LOT on getting him to stop barking, and we're making a lot of headway. I think between a few more months of work and a few more months of maturing, the barking will be down to minimal. I wouldn't suggest getting a collie if you live in an apartment or something and must have a silent dog, but the barking is definately manageable and trainable.

Training stuff:
It sounds like even if you don't get a collie, most herders would be good breeds for you. I can think of several that fit this description.
So, what do you think?
I would suggest if you get a collie, get a young adult... adolescence is no fun. ;) I searched rescue a LONG time before I got Keegan, and most of the collies in rescue around here were 7+ years old, or blind/deaf, or had temperament problems (not good with strangers, not good with other dogs, sound sensitive/phobic, separation anxiety, etc.). As much as I wanted to rescue, I didn't want to deal with that stuff, so I went the breeder route instead.

Smooth collie breeders are a little difficult to find, but I know of several good breeders in the country. Basically you're probably going to have to travel a long way to get the puppy (I went 2200 miles away to get Keegan, LOL), which stinks; you'll need to find a breeder you really trust.

Aussie--- a little hairy maybe for your taste, but generally good with other dogs, people, cats etc. Would bond to you quite closely.

Brittany- I think these dogs get overlooked so often. Goofy, fun, quick, energetic dogs. They usually get along with other dogs, and enjoy people. I've seen lots of good agility brittany's and met a few who did awesome at therapy work. I love their size and athleticism.

My experience with collies (smooth and rough) has been a bit different, apparently. I never thought of any of then as smart or quick. They were slow to respond to commands and not what you'd think of as bright. I've seen good therapy dogs in collies, willing to sit for hours and be petted and loved on, but rarely (if ever) have I seen a quick, tight obedience routine, or agility course run by a collie.

Goldens fit the bill too. My family has owned three. All very willing to please, up and at 'em when you're ready, but ours never had a very silly personality. We have had two mellow boys and one wild child.

Boxers- silly, jokester-type dogs. Minimal grooming. Their downfall is probably their excitability levels. Most young boxers are just over the top excitable.

Maxy24

I've always thought Goldens were super mellow. Whenever I think of a breed that's the "ultimate family dog" and is owned by tons of random people who know nothing about dogs without incident, I assume they must be boring and super laid back. I love the sweetness of course, but am afraid they won't be as spunky and excitable as I like. But of course they are so common there must be quite a variety.

I really have very little experience with Collies, my friend has one who is terribly obese so she gets up as infrequently as possible. It's sad really. Then there was an adolescent in my friends obedience class who had a barking issue, but god was he beautiful. I'll have to look into them more.

Boxers have always been a breed I liked, love their personalities, at least for the ones I've met. Super fun and goofy, playful, not terribly soft. I like super excitable, even if it means I'll need to put in extra work to have him therapy dog ready. Whenever I see videos of Boxers doing the strange things they do it makes me love them more. Are they prone to same sex aggression?

I really like the looks of dobermans and they remind me of my childhood dog for some reason. Seeing them cuddling on the couch always makes me want to melt. I always thought that, being created for protection, they wouldn't enjoy therapy work. You've found they like attention from strangers?

Never met or known anyone with a Brittany, they are really pretty though, and a great size. Are they generally very affectionate?

I used to LOVE Aussies (from afar) but started thinking they were too serious. I'm always so used to seeing Aussies and BCs working/training so never see them just being themselves or being with their people.

I appreciate all of the opinions, I enjoy learning about the breeds.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
*keeps an eye on this thread*

We have a lot of the same desires. :D
I've never even considered most of these breeds!

I used to LOVE Aussies (from afar) but started thinking they were too serious. I'm always so used to seeing Aussies and BCs working/training so never see them just being themselves or being with their people.

I appreciate all of the opinions, I enjoy learning about the breeds.
It depends on the aussie I guess. I've been around all types. I housesit for an aussie person, and I've shown quite a few for her and others.

The girls are usually more serious. The majority of the boys though, are silly and playful and so much fun. My friend has a young boy right now who I just love. He's goofy and bouncy and would be sooo much fun to train. He's game for anything and he loves everyone. He gets along with all other dogs.

Zoom's Sawyer seems like he's a serious boy though, and they do usually mellow out as they age. The one I finished for Brenda is 7 now and he's mellowed out quite a bit. He's still playful, he's just more mature.

I've found that with most herding breeds the girls seems more serious from a younger age.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I've always thought Goldens were super mellow. Whenever I think of a breed that's the "ultimate family dog" and is owned by tons of random people who know nothing about dogs without incident, I assume they must be boring and super laid back.
You know, I've heard that assumption before. I think that because they're so laid back in personality, it's easy for people to think they're laid back physically. That's not the case at all! And sadly, I think that's the biggest reason you see purebred goldens in shelter or rescue. The owners didn't realize that this is an active breed that requires a good amount of exercise and mental stimulation. If they don't get it, they can become destructive out of boredom. They're not the dog for a couch potato. Goldens can be calm when needed, but they're all energy when it's time for work or play, just like most sporting breeds. Tigger, our family golden retriever, could spend the entire day swimming and playing with us at the lake and still be going strong.

I think they're recommended as good family dogs or first-time dogs because their natural temperaments are pretty free of the traits that could cause issues with those not experienced with dogs: they're generally not barkers, not prone to DA or HA, not mouthy or tending to nip and herd people, don't have stranger wariness, aren't prone to running off like hounds, can usually get along well with other animals, are not particularly territorial or protective, and are very trainable.

I'd say their biggest fault is that they shed fairly heavily. Not on the level of a newfie, but more than your average dog. That beautiful golden undercoat seems to end up literally everywhere, LOL. They need a good brushing at least several times a week to keep the shedding under control.

javadoo

If you decide to go with a golden retriever, please screen the breeder very well.
We're seeing alot of goldens in our area with nasty temperments....dog and people aggressive. Very unusual in goldens, but I've seen more than my fair share of aggressive goldens in this area.

I have labs...so my vote is for a lab!!!

The aussies I know are total goof balls :lol-sign: When Desoto is 'on' and we are working on training he is very serious. Same with when we are out on my parents property, he is very watchful of me and anyone who didn't know him would think he was a very serious dog. However the vast majority of the time we are just chilling out in the house and he is always doing something goofy and funny and entertaining. My BC however was much more intense and serious.

Members online