Peeing on people, twice, almost three times. What the?

TahlzK

Ummm.

Sunny is weird. I don't know what to think. Is this a coincidence or is it something more?

Sunny has been neutered since 4 months, he's been toilet trained since 8 weeks. He's almost 6, in October. In the past year he's been funny and peed in my room a few times..

Last week I had Serenity and Sunny off leash, I was playing fetch with them. Sunny decided not to fetch the ball so I started talking to Zoe (13yo neibor friend, she walks with me sometimes). Sunny stands beside me, lifts his leg and pee's on my leg. NOT cool but whatever, maybe it was a accident.

Anyway, today I met with Zoe again and Sunny, we were standing there chatting, Sunny lifted his leg near Zoe and almost peed on her, his pee was a inch away from her foot. 20minutes later we took Sunny to a field and let him off leash to play. At one point as Zoe and I were talking, Sunny lifted his leg and peed on me!

Any ideas why he may be doing this? Has anyone ever experienced this?

Maybe it is a coincidence.. I guess I'll see if he does it again. He's never done this before though. I mean, WHY choose to pee on me? Why not the many other places he has to choose from? He was peeing in those areas before peeing on me.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Fozzie tried to mark me once... right after his friend Panda marked his owner. I think he was like "oh, I see what you're trying to say. Well this is my human so there!" I jumped back and gasped, then screamed WTMFFF Fozzieee!!! And he hasn't tried that since. ;)

The fact that he marked you while around Zoe both times makes me think that he's probably feeling insecure or unsure of her. Every time that I've seen dogs mark people, it's while people are standing around talking. I was once talking with my friend and two other dog owners at the dog park. A man who owned a Great Dane was sitting on a grassy hill in our circle, talking, and his GREAT DANE walks up and PEES ON HIS HEAD! LMFAO, I felt so bad for him but it was hilarious. I really think dogs are trying to communicate to other people/dogs that this is their "human", trying to get their scent on them. To dogs, peeing on you isn't insulting, in fact it might even by a compliment. But either way it's a form of social marking that reflects some insecurity in the dog.

I would prevent it from happening by paying much more attention to Sunny when meeting new people, or even people that he knows. Don't ignore him, and actively give him commands - tell him to sit, down, come, and reward him with treats and praise. Ask the other people to give him treats and commands, and formally introduce him. I honestly think he feels a bit socially awkward and ignored. Dogs communicate with other dogs via their pee, so he's probably trying to communicate with both of you and get some attention.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I'm not sure exactly why they do it, but I have seen strange dogs pee on strangers before. We were at a dog park once and a cocker spaniel went around lifting him leg on EVERYBODY. It was disgusting and people got pretty angry about it. Personally, I thought it was really rude even in dog manners. But maybe there's a different dynamic when familiar people are involved?

If my dogs ever tried it I'd just scream and wail like the pee was causing horrific acid burns. They'd have crushed spirits and never try it again. Not sure how many other dogs that would work on though.

Members online

No members online now.