My puppie's breeder swears by Diamond's

My puppie's breeder swears by The Diamond Companies, "Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul."

There are so many puppy foods out there. Am I better off feeding my Australian Shepherd adult food?

It's been a long time since I have had a puppy. Does anyone have any comments about this puppy food?

:confused:

Romy

Taxiderpy
The Diamond Naturals line and "Chicken Soup" are some of the better foods out there.

If you have a Costco in your area, the Kirkland dog food is the same thing as the Diamond Naturals line, and it is also manufactured by Diamond for Costco. At our Costco a 40 lb. bag costs $23, as opposed to the same thing from the pet store with the Diamond label for $40+. And they do have a puppy formula.

As for feeding them puppy vs. adult, I always fed mine adult but then they are large breed dogs, and need their growth regulated so they don't get bone problems. An aussie shouldn't have that issue. Hopefully someone else will have a better answer for you on that.

darkchild16

We are Home.
We pay 30 for diamond naturals 40+ pound bag at Tractor Supply Company and all 5 of ours are doing greatt on it and we have from 8-9 years old to 8 or so months old.

Romy

Taxiderpy
in large breeds that is detrimental to even regulated growth grammy.
That's right. Also the higher protein puppy chow can supposedly cause problems in the muscle/bone growth rates. In my breed folks recommend 24% protein, but it's different for other dogs.

That being said, an aussie should have no problems with puppy chow.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Most dogs can switch to adult food at 6 months anyway. I had Sawyer on Kirkland for about a year and he did fine. I like having him on Innova better but when I had a Lab in the mix, it was just too expensive to feed. So Kirkland it was.

bubbatd

One of my Golden puppy owners switched right over to adult and was bragging about the growth over mine .......had many bone problems !

Phoenixangelwyngs

Zookeeper Extraordinaire!
I switched both my borders and my aussies over to adult food before a year. The puppy food semed to be too rich and causing tummy upset. I give adult food.... sometimes I throw on some plain yogurt, a spoonful or two.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I switched my Border Collie pup over to adult kibble at 6 months old.

Jynx

my aussie breeder is also a fan of Diamond, and feeds her puppies the adult food.

I wish I had a costco near me,,:)) get mine at a petsuppliesplus store..
diane

The pup is now doing very well on half Orijen Puppy and half Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul. We don't have a Costco nearby either, just a B.J.'s which sells large quantities of the usual supermarket dog foods. I plan to switch him over to Chicken soup for the soul exclusively over time....with a little yoghurt or cottage cheese.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
My best bet is cost. That's the main reason we're using Chicken Soup for the Puppy lover's soul right now over the other premium dog food offered locally.

Maxy24

I do not use Orijen, I don't have a dog and I don't feed cat foods with fish in them.

I personally just think Orijen is a bit higher quality, it is grain free (although is does have both potatoes and sweet potatoes, one of which is a main ingredient). Chicken Soup has five grains all of which are main ingredients (it is considered "main" if it comes before the first fat source) plus potatoes which are not a main ingredient. Orijen is also much higher in protein, I personally just consider it higher quality and would not be comfortable feeding chicken soup because of all the grains.

Chicken Soup is not a bad food of course, if you are on a tight budget I would certainly choose that over many other foods of a similar price. I know your breeder likes it but many breeders also swear by awful foods, so do your own research and make you own choice, either choice would be a good one, it's just up to what you feel most comfortable feeding and what you can afford.

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
If you Are willing to go an extra step, you could try raw feeding. Much better for your dog, and Alot cheaper then most people think.. I have ALOT of info on raw feeding if your interested, Everything from what to feed to how much to feed... And ill say it again, It can be cheap if you know where to look, its cheap even with higher quility meats.. And soo soooo Much better for your dog.

But if your set on feeding kibble, i recommend wellness core, of course you cannot feed that until he is 12 months, But A good puppy chow would do for now.

Members online