Rabbit Vs Guinea pigs

Kase

Do you have a preference?

I've had rabbits since I was 4 years old, they have always been in my life until I lost Calis. I've also had a few guinea pigs through out the years. I love rabbits and have had more experience with them but I also love Guinea pigs. I'm really hoping to get either 2 rabbits or 2 guineas in the next year and wondered if you had a preference? If so why? I still want my ferret but mum has said a huge big no :(.

I love the personalities of the GPs more, but they are stinky little beasts. The rabbit cage is easier to clean (all of my bunnies were litter trained). My current rabbit has tons of personality and it just an all around joker and sweetheart. Another one of my bunnies was the same way. But I had 2 in between that were NASTY little things (both happened to be Netherland Dwarfs).

Frankly once this bunny is gone I'm done with rabbits for a LOOOOOOOOONG time. I'll probably never have guinea pigs again, but perhaps in my old age I will get a Flemish Giant rabbit.

Overall I choose rats. LOL!

Kase

Thanks for your input :). As for the rats, well I've tried for them too but like the ferret they are a no no because my Mum is scared of them :rolleyes:.

joce

I love guinea pigs and miss mine a ton:( No one else I live with likes them though so I don't know if I'll ever get another one.

Have you ever tried taking your mom to the pet store and playing with the ferrets? I saw some girl sweet talk her mom at a store the other day. even after I warned her against it:p I love ferrets but I always have people calling me trying to get rid of them.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
i like rabbits.

rabbits dont smell as bad, they are loads cleaner, and imo dont have as many health issues as GPs. and they seem to have more personality also. they are more curious and seem to injoy your company more

Kase

Have you ever tried taking your mom to the pet store and playing with the ferrets? I saw some girl sweet talk her mom at a store the other day. even after I warned her against it:p I love ferrets but I always have people calling me trying to get rid of them.

I don't know of any pet shop that sells them :(.

I think if I do get anything its going to be a rabbit, the man at the petshop put my Mum off from Guinea pigs as he told her they smelled bad so she said no. I'm not disapointed, I have loved rabbits all my life.

Thanks for the replies :).

Rabbits are great! Just my advice, don't get a Netherland Dwarf. The two I had were the nasty ones, and I've met mostly nasty ones. I've met a few who would tolerate people to a point, but they prefer to be loaners.

My rabbit now is a Mini-Rex and she's great, I've never met any other Mini-Rexes, though, so I can't say if her temperment is typical of the breed or not. But my mom's old bunny, Melvin, was a Holland Lop and he was the BEST and friendliest. And any other Holland Lop I met was also absurdly friendly and snuggly. I suggest seeking out a breeder, though, and not getting a pet store bunny. Much like puppy-mill pet store dogs, the bunnies tend to be a genetic mess and the temperment you get will be iffy.

joce

I always thought the rabbits were waaaaaay stinkier than the guinea pigs:p

What about maybe a small amimal rescue by you? they may let you go and take your mom and let her see how they all actually smell and what not.

Kase

I always thought the rabbits were waaaaaay stinkier than the guinea pigs:p

What about maybe a small amimal rescue by you? they may let you go and take your mom and let her see how they all actually smell and what not.

I've taken her to the RSPCA and shown them to her, I even recored a tv programme with some teeny cute ferret babies. She says they are cute but because certain people have told her they bite, smell and are viscious sp she wont listen to me :rolleyes: . I attend college and do an animal management course and I'm her daughter but she believes other people over me. *sigh* I'll ve moved out after college and will have to wait till then. She does seem to be coming round the getting a rabbit though, hopefully anyway I miss having one.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Hey! Guinea pigs can use a litter box too! They're just not as reliable about it...
I prefer guinea pigs because they aren't as high strung as rabbits. Plus guinea pigs don't need as much exercise as rabbits. Rabbits need to be out running around the house, and that's just not feasible with two dogs, and 2 cats. Both cats love rabbit, and have hunted the wild ones before. But they could care less about my guinea pigs. I have had guinea pigs since my mom bought me my first one when I was 10.

PS: The truly stinky guineas are the males! Wooo little stinkpots they are!:yikes:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I adore rabbits. I have one beautiful, soft gray dwarf rabbit. She is the sweetest rabbit I have ever met.
And letting them out and the fact that they need lots of interaction and exercise is not a problem with me. . .I also have 2 dogs and 2 cats but I enjoy time with my rabbit too and I love bonding and interaction with her.

As for the rats, well I've tried for them too but like the ferret they are a no no because my Mum is scared of them :rolleyes:.
LOL, my mom is scared of them too. *sigh*

Kathy29

I love rabbits! I have a Mini Lop and what people have said about this breed is that they are like the Golden Retrievers of the dog world. Seriously, he is soo sweet and absolutely religious about using his litter box.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
How are rabbits about chewing stuff? Can they be taught not to like dogs or are they more like rats and just nibble nibble nibble the live long day?

Kathy29

From the rabbit.org website:

Can I discipline my rabbit not to chew?
Discipline (clapping hands, saying "no") has a small role in stopping chewing behavior. Most people report that it's easy to make their bunnies understand them, but difficult to make them stop the behavior through the use of discipline only, especially if the bunnies are left alone for periods of time.

I think when you bring one home, you just have to assume that he/she's going to be a chewer. I find that when there's something for him to do (e.g. shredding newspaper), then he's distracted and will leave other things alone. I probably just lucked out when I got him, since he acts like such an angel. The best thing to do is to contact your local rabbit rescue/SPCA -- some of the foster homes sure know the personalities of their bunnies well.

Like I know the last time I checked, my local rescue actually had a rabbit that, due to some health problems, didn't have his front teeth anymore, and so couldn't chew cords, furniture, etc.

Members online

No members online now.