Record Keeping and Planning

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
What do you all do?

Do you keep a journal of sorts or just record things like data and Qs?

Do you have a sort of template you follow?

I'm terrible at record keeping and I really need to improve. Same with planning sessions. For November I'm doing a drop in open barn time instead of a class for agility because of my work schedule so to be successful I need to really get with the program and start planning and keeping good records.

So all you meticulous folks, help?

Be interested in the replies. I'm HORRIBLE at keeping records or journals or being organized no matter how much I want to be good at it.

Aleron

Be interested in the replies. I'm HORRIBLE at keeping records or journals or being organized no matter how much I want to be good at it.
Me too!

I sometimes think record keeping for training...then I get distracted LOL I recently watched videos on YouTube from people in the Recallers course and the record keeping some did for that was amazing. I have a hard enough time keeping track of everyone's titles, points and legs!

SaraB

I have a notebook that I was keeping updated with shaping sessions for Zuma when we were doing KPA. Fell out of keeping it updated once that ended, but it was sooo helpful. I had session times and click numbers to get my click rate, which helped me a lot with determining when a behavior was ready for a cue/generalization. It also helped me see the holes in certain behaviors, I would record if she was successful with the behavior in different locations, how many times the cue was perceived correctly/incorrectly, etc.

Now I just keep my blog updated with our To-Do lists and accomplishments. That was my reason for starting the blog, I honestly didn't even care if anyone read it, I just wanted training videos, to-do lists, accomplishments and problems all in one place. I absolutely love it. I was on my phone at the trial this weekend putting in our Q's so that I wouldn't forget to update it later.

In a perfect world, I'd go back to the crazy strict record keeping of KPA. In reality, my to-do lists are just fine.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I don't keep training recorda but I don't start a training session until I'm clear on what I want to accomplish and am in the right frame of mind. I video if I can but usual take a moment after the session to digest what just happened so I'm clear on it for next time.

As for Qs and such, I had a paper record when we did APDT rally to keep track of title progressions. For AKC agility, which is our focus now, I made a computer spreadsheet so it keeps a running total of points (overall and carious qualifying periods), QQs, titles, yps, highlights/lowlights, things we find while trialing that I want to address during training, etc.

Aleron

I have the form off CPE's website for their titles or I'd never remember those! AKC makes it easy by being able to check their website but I've still had a couple mix ups :/

monkeys23

I'm so sporadic with record keeping! I will go a week or so with good records and then fall off the wagon for a few months. I've often wondered if I'd do better with blogging it than trying to keep paper records. Hmm maybe will try it someday!

Catsi

I used to be terrible at it, now I'm merely mediocre lol. I can't do a daily record keeping form as such, I can't seem to conceptualise what's going on and plan the next session.

What I do is have a notebook that's divided into sections and things I want to work on. For example at the moment I'm working on RZ (will be forever lol), crate games, obedience recall, dumbell, some simple one jump work and tricks. I have a section for tricks/shaping that I can keep track of how I'm going, just to see what my last step was in case I need to backtrack. Because I am working on arousal/tug etc as well I have a section for that.

I simply fill out the relevant section whenever I feel I have something important to add that may help us in future planning. I don't even fill it out everyday but I do try to get down what I think is important. That way I have a page/s devoted to a task and I can remind myself of how far we have come, see what our last step was, take note of any issues we are having etc. This system just seems to work in my head better than a daily record full of lots of stuff. You can see the behaviour grow and it's easier to keep direction I think. I'm very guilty of not pushing forward when I can so seeing it all on paper makes me a bit more confident to take the next step.

Edit - so yeah, I don't really follow a template, just a binder with dividers and headings.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
AKC makes it easy by being able to check their website but I've still had a couple mix ups :/
The AKC site is nice for confirming that Qs were counted but their free part only tracks lifetime accumulation of Qs, QQs, titles, and points. If you're tracking for Nationals qualifying or some such, you need your own tracking system as well.

Members online

No members online now.