Questions for bully & APBTA 'type' owners

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
ETA:

Is the answer to just breed all working dogs away from their original purpose,
Um.. no... I don't know where that was eluded too but the answer is no. However, all breeds will evolve and must adapt. They both do this on their own and with our help.

Or do we just cry foul with certain breeds and force those breeds to change, while allowing others to remain the same? Do we turn all dogs into fashion pets, because that is what will appeal them to the masses and make them more easily handled by those owners?
Again, why can you not fathom a middle ground? A dog in your theorem is either a hunting dog or fee fee the french poodle atop a satin pillow.

ETA, as for the horses, (which I only have comedy on) enjoy.

Last edited:

crazedACD

Crazed, I never owned over 60 APBTs at one time. I produced 3 litters, and on this date, I can tell you where each dog can be found. I didn't sell a single puppy, nor would I ever. I have no desire to breed puppies to sell to the general public. Ever.

If you read my posts, the number of dogs under my name account for all my personal dogs, each puppy from each litter, and every single rescue fog I took in, including dogs I picked up on the side of the road. But regardless of that list, or the fact that I WORKED at that same clinic for years as a vet tech, there's no way in hell I'll accept part of the blame. I did nothing wrong. Why should I be partly to blame, and why on earth is it ok for me to be viewed as "guilty until proven innocent"???

ETA: or did I completely misunderstand your post? That happens when I'm trying to type and bring used as a jungle gym by three rowdy children.
Haha no no, I quoted your post because it was relevent, my use of 'YOU' was a general public 'YOU' and not actually...you. Alright, it's late.. :cool:

Just out of morbid curiosity...what makes these 9 out of 10 Pit Bull walkers not appear to be upstanding citizens? What does an upstanding citizen look like?
I guess an upstanding citizen looks like someone who is walking with their pants around their hips and not around their ankles. Is walking their dog on a leash and not on a chain. Is clean cut and isn't covered in jail tattoos. Is it a stereotype? Yes. It most certainly is. Is it a stereotype that is more often than not, correct? Yes. I agree totally that most pit bull type dog owners are not "upstanding citizens".
Yeah...partially this. "Wannabe gangsters". And I'll correct myself..they aren't walking the dog so much as going to hangout in a group, using the dog for protection or a status symbol or something. Sorry. Hey I said 9/10..not all ;). There are some decent people. Keep in mind I work in pet retail at a farm store right outside a big city. I get the questions..I talk to them...I show them muzzles when Killer or MaryJane starts to 'act out'..usually the stereotype is pretty right on. Oh and for the record, some of them seem to be switching over to the oddball mastiffs now...corsos and filas and whatnot.

But if you are not a hunter, then I suppose you won't ever get it. It's not about chugging a 6- pack and watching 10 dogs kill Wilbur, from Charlotte's Web, while we sit back and laugh before smearing ourselves with blood and engaging in Neanderthal-style chest thumping. .
Sorry that gave me a good laugh! I've been out with people hunting...not doing much myself except traipsing around the woods and camping..but the people I knew were pretty fair to the dogs and the hog as best they could.
They aren't pests like a deer just eating your garden...they are pests that maul horses (a girl where I boarded had one pop out and run into her horse), people, dogs, and so forth. They can totally ruin their habitat and uproot everything. Not to mention I believe they are an invasive species..they are just feral pigs?

Miakoda

Hogs are definitely nasty creatures. They destroy the land, they're super-aggressive, and they reproduce like horny rabbits.

I'll never forget the fear I felt the day we stumbled onto a litter of hidden piglets. We all froze, as the bay dogs had gone ahead and were on the trail of something, but we knew that the sow had to be close by. Sure enough, the catch dogs started going nuts just as soon as a 150 lb pissed off mother hog came barreling out of the trees. Sadly, those cute little piggies were brought to homes and fattened for couchon de lait (they were MEAN little buggers, too!).

Feral hogs don't run very far before turning to fight.

Pops2

There are a lot of things that you can do with your dog that fits between nothing and hunting hogs that will be just as, if not more, mentally stimulating.
i'm going to disagree. hunting anything that can kill you back is very much the equivalent of combat (more so for the dog). having been in combat, i can assure you that VERY few activities even come close to being as stimulating.

Pops2

The act of seeking the kill can be simulated through tracking. The kill cannot but I am convinced you can emulate and satisfy your dogs without hunting.
again i'm going to disagree, because no human being will ever lay a track as difficult as an actual animal trying to avoid capture. no human being will crawl through ten miles of coastal swamp tearing their hide to pieces on blackthorn & wait a minute vines, risking hypothermia in ponds & sloughs that don't show up on the maps (or gators & cottonmouths in the summer), and the possibility of getting stuck in quicksand. nor are they likely to run 30 miles across 3 canyons, 2 snowmelt swollen rivers and climb 100 ft or more of cliff face just so people can sport their dogs w/o actual hunting. probably not going to run out into traffic or jump from one tree to another 30 feet in the air either. even w/o a kill, hunting a fleeing animal is mentally demanding physically exhausting.
a perfect example is the brit "foxhunting" where a cross country runner is laying the track. they NEVER run through the thick crappy cover (like brambles) that an actual fox would. which is great for the hunt because they get to watch the dogs out in the open, but it isn't the same & cannot be.

Pops2

i've rethought my position and believe escaped convicts MIGHT be able to provide a descent tracking challenge but none of the people laying tracks for sport will make the effort.

Members online

No members online now.