fleas

MyLilly1

I know Lilly is too young for flea drops like advantage so I just picked up a flea collar for puppies. She will be 8 weeks on Saturday and is about 10 oz (she is a teacup chi) I would like to start her on that new chewable for heart worm prevent and fleas when she is old enough....she only goes outside to potty so i was thinking the flea collar would be enough for now.......could it make her sick or anything??

Lizmo

Water Junkie
You should be able to use flea products on her at 8 weeks.

"K9 Advantix is a once a month topical application that kills and repels disease spreading fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. K9 Advantix kills 98-100% of fleas within 12 hours. K9 Advantix is for use on dogs and puppies 7 weeks of age or older."

This is from the K9 Advantix green box, 1-10lbs.

Saeleofu

I thought she was 6 weeks old?

If you mean Trifexis as the chewable (it has the active ingredients of Interceptor and Comfortis combined) it's a great product in my experience, my dogs haven't had any problems with it. But she has to be AT LEAST 2 pounds before you give it to her, so she still has a ways to go.

Flea collars are still insecticides so could make a dog sick especially if they're sensitive to the ingedients or if hse chews it. But it won't prevent heartworms, and usually they're only good for keeping fleas off their neck.

Saeleofu

Lizmo....if the advantix replels mosquitos does that mean it would help prevent heart worms
It's not that reliable. I use it in the summer for Gavroche because he gets big red welts from mosquitoes. It helps, but it doesn't stop them.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I know Lilly is too young for flea drops like advantage so I just picked up a flea collar for puppies. She will be 8 weeks on Saturday and is about 10 oz (she is a teacup chi) I would like to start her on that new chewable for heart worm prevent and fleas when she is old enough....she only goes outside to potty so i was thinking the flea collar would be enough for now.......could it make her sick or anything??
There is actually no such thing as a teacup chihuahua. The breed standard is 2-6lbs, and the only "types" of chihuahuas are long coated and short coated.

http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com/breed-info/chihuahuau-breed-standard/teacup-statement

The Official AKC Breed Standard describes the Chihuahua as a small dog that comes in two varieties or coat types. The difference in coat type (the Long Coat and the Smooth Coat) is the only official description used to identify a difference within this breed. Our standard does not categorize the Chihuahua by size.
For the purpose of showing and record keeping, the American Kennel club includes the Chihuahua (along with 19 other breeds) in the Toy Group. Therefore, irrespective of their weight or physical stature ALL Chihuahuas registered with the AKC are considered to be a toy breed of dog.
As with all living things, there will be size variance between individual dogs within this breed. Look within the human family - brothers and sisters will differ in height and in weight, as well as other physical attributes. They are described as humans, male or female, and there is seldom if ever a need to break the description down further. The same holds true in regard to the Chihuahua; they are Chihuahuas - Long Coat / Smooth Coat!
Unfortunately, the additional adjectives used to describe the size differences and physical appearances are many and have been misused for so long they now seem legitimate. Teacup, Pocket Size, Tiny Toy, Miniature or Standard - are just a few of the many tags and labels that have been attached to this breed over the years. The Chihuahua Club of America is concerned that these terms may be used to entice prospective buyers into thinking that puppies described in this way are of greater monetary value. They are not and the use of these terms is incorrect and misleading.
Occasionally, within a litter, there may be a puppy that is unusually small. That puppy is a small Chihuahua and any other breakdown in description is not correct. To attach any of these additional labels to a particular puppy is to misrepresent that Chihuahua as something that is rare or exceptional and causes a great deal of confusion among those new fanciers who are looking for a Chihuahua.
The Chihuahua Club of America does not endorse nor condone the use of any of these terms and would caution the perspective puppy buyer not to be misled by them.
We recognize that many Chihuahua fanciers do want the very small puppy. While they are adorable and can be perfectly healthy, the buyer should be cautioned as to the extra care that may be required with regard to their general health and well-being.
As for flea medications, if Lily really IS close to 8 weeks, the smallest weight dosage is fine. Use a 1/2 dose if you feel uncomfortable. I STILL dose my 2 year old 3lb chihuahua with 1/2 a tube.

Members online

No members online now.