Colors of your Breed?

MicksMom

Yep, but it seems like few GSPs show in UKC. AKC doesn't allow it because GSPCA doesn't.. members continue to vote against it for the stupidest reasons.
Yeah. Sometimes breed clubs can be a PITA, huh?

Black GSPs can be shown in performance events in the AKC, just not the breed ring. A lady where we train has had black GSPs for about 13 years now.
Sydney, her first (and the first black GSP I'd ever seen)
Top Dog - Individual Student's Dog Page

And Price, Sydney's son:
Top Dog - Individual Student's Dog Page

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Just to add for the Collies because I can't resist ...

In the US, we have 4 accepted colors (by the standard) - tricolor, blue merle, sable, and white (with a colored head of either sable, tri or blue). The tricolor, sable, and blue will all have some sort of white markings (often called the 'Irish pattern'). You will also have the sable merle color, and they are quite common, but the color is not listed as an acceptable color in the standard(s). Also, in Europe, white is NOT an acceptable color.

I have collies. They come in sable, tri, blue merle, sable merle, and white (with sable, blue, tri, or sable merle markings. they can be tri or white factored as well. Sables have a varierty of color differences too. I will attach my rainbow of puppies. Sable merle does not exist in the show world.
Currywood, I'm not trying to be difficult, but I do want to clarify this. Actually, sable merles do exist in the show world, they are just shown in the sable and white class for Roughs. (Smooths are not separated by color, so they're there too along with everyone else). And yes there are some lovely ones who have done some big winning too! :)

Adding the sable merle to the standard is a hot topic right now in the Collie world, with people on both sides of the fence. Personally, I think it should be added - the color is not related to any health problems, and you would only have to be careful with how you bred them just like a blue merle.

And some stats I've seen in several different places ...

According to CCA & AKC statistics over 200 sable merles have finished their AKC championships since 1990 when AKC added sable merle to the color selection on registration papers.

Brattina88

For show purposes cockers are shown in ASCOB (Any Solid Color Other than Black) including buff, red, silver, chocolate, and chocolate and tan. Black (includes black and tan), and Parti. Brown(chocolate) & White, Red & White, Black & White, Brown White & Tan, Buff & White, Black White & Tan.

Ticking and roan patterns are considered parti colored, I've been told some judges frown upon these colors, others don't. Ticking and roan patterns vary on each individual dog, but as long as the dog has the correct amount of white coat (more than 10% of the hair), then these markings are legal in the breed ring.

Sables have been eliminated from the conformation show ring by the American Spaniel Club. Sable can be "solid" or parti. There are black sables, red sables, and chocolate sables. There are also Merles. Like sables, this color is not considered an "acceptable" color for Cocker Spaniels and these dogs cannot be shown.

pics:
Parti
Blacks
ASCOB
they have pics of sables & merles in each as well

A Basic Introduction To The Cocker Spaniel -- different pics of different colors :)

Merle, parti, tan points, and ticking, too.
What's especially unusual is that there is both black ticking and tan ticking. How unusual!

I'm partial to the buffs and reds :p

American Spaniel Club Inc. - Home of the Cocker Spaniel - American Spaniel Club Inc. Established in 1881
Color and Markings

Black Variety-Solid color black to include black with tan points. The black should be jet; shadings of brown or liver in the coat are not desirable. A small amount of white on the chest and/or throat is allowed; white in any other location shall disqualify.
Any Solid Color Other than Black (ASCOB)-Any solid color other than black, ranging from lightest cream to darkest red, including brown and brown with tan points. The color shall be of a uniform shade, but lighter color of the feathering is permissible. A small amount of white on the chest and/or throat is allowed; white in any other location shall disqualify.
Parti-Color Variety-Two or more solid, well broken colors, one of which must be white; black and white, red and white (the red may range from lightest cream to darkest red), brown and white, and roans, to include any such color combination with tan points. It is preferable that the tan markings be located in the same pattern as for the tan points in the Black and ASCOB varieties. Roans are classified as parti-colors and may be of any of the usual roaning patterns. Primary color which is ninety percent (90%) or more shall disqualify. Tan Points-The color of the tan may be from the lightest cream to the darkest red and is restricted to ten percent (10%) or less of the color of the specimen; tan markings in excess of that amount shall disqualify. In the case of tan points in the Black or ASCOB variety, the markings shall be located as follows:

On the sides of the muzzle and on the cheeks;
On the underside of the ears;
On all feet and/or
A clear tan spot over each eye;
legs;
Under the tail;
On the chest, optional; presence or absence shall not be penalized.
Tan markings which are not readily visible or which amount only to traces, shall be penalized. Tan on the muzzle which extends upward, over and joins shall also be penalized. The absence of tan markings in the Black or ASCOB variety in any of the specified locations in any otherwise tan-pointed dog shall disqualify.

S

Squishy22

Wow, I just did a search and it looks like there are A LOT of merle cocker breeders. I've never seen one!!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
As far as breed standard goes, boxers are either fawn or brindle. They can have white markings but they can't exceed 1/3 of the entire coat.

Fawn:

Brindle can be anything from a fawn background with black striping, to a black background with sparse fawn striping. Doesn't really matter how it is--as long as there is some sort of distinct striping.

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
All colors are allowed in Sibes, from pure white to black, agouti, red, silver, black & tan. Patterns are also allowed - solids, masks, piebalds, splashes, saddles backs.

I love the look of piebalds and splashes but I may stick to masked or white faces, black or copper. Or as I call Ruby, liver.

Dobermans come in black, red, fawn, and blue, all with rust/tan markings. Albinos can also be produced. Blacks and reds tend to be the most common, dilutes tend to have a harder coat to care for. Most "show" dobes are black or red. Sometimes you'll have a fawn or a very dark blue.

Albino is a big no-no. Absolutely no responsible breeder will ever breed an albino or create an albino puppy. In fact, most responsible breeders shy away from the dilutes, as well.

4D3C - he's a saddle back...Lacey is a blanket, if you look at her pictures the black comes all the way forward to her shoulders and partially down her back legs. When she was younger she didn't have all the lighter hair on the back legs and was black completely to her hocks.
Ohhh okay thanks guys :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Merle, parti, tan points, and ticking, too.
What's especially unusual is that there is both black ticking and tan ticking. How unusual!
With a tricolor dog the ticking will be black where the color 'should' be black and tan where the color should be tan. Merles with tan are technically tricolor with the merle gene acting over it. Mia has both tan and black ticking but it's hard to see under her fur. I think it will become more apparent as she gets older. She's not very ticked comparatively but it's still there. My favorite part of her ticking is this big tan 'beauty mark' (as I like to call it) on her muzzle.

Just to add for the Collies because I can't resist ...

In the US, we have 4 accepted colors (by the standard) - tricolor, blue merle, sable, and white (with a colored head of either sable, tri or blue). The tricolor, sable, and blue will all have some sort of white markings (often called the 'Irish pattern'). You will also have the sable merle color, and they are quite common, but the color is not listed as an acceptable color in the standard(s). Also, in Europe, white is NOT an acceptable color.

Currywood, I'm not trying to be difficult, but I do want to clarify this. Actually, sable merles do exist in the show world, they are just shown in the sable and white class for Roughs. (Smooths are not separated by color, so they're there too along with everyone else). And yes there are some lovely ones who have done some big winning too! :)

Adding the sable merle to the standard is a hot topic right now in the Collie world, with people on both sides of the fence. Personally, I think it should be added - the color is not related to any health problems, and you would only have to be careful with how you bred them just like a blue merle.

And some stats I've seen in several different places ...

According to CCA & AKC statistics over 200 sable merles have finished their AKC championships since 1990 when AKC added sable merle to the color selection on registration papers.
Colliewog...i'm so glad your'e here. I always find myself not completely explaining what I am trying to say. I'm new to this chazhound thing. Sable merles are classified as sables in the shows. If it is heavily marked, judges tend to look the other way.. which is a pain in the butt. I love sable merles. One of my prettiest pups produced was a sable merle.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Just to throw out a rarity: Collies (also seen in Shelties, Aussies, Corgis ... just to name a few) have 'cryptic merles' (also known as 'phantom merles'). Basically, it's a dog that is genetically a merle (blue or sable), but the expression is hidden and the dog appears to be a tricolor or sable, lacking the typical merle pattern. Although there is usually a merled spot somewhere (some showing more than others), to the untrained eye, the dog is labeled as a tricolor or a sable, yet is really a blue merle or a sable merle.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Ohhh, colliewog, THANK YOU. I am reading Dogged Pursuit right now and Dusty is apparently a cryptic merle. I'd actually never heard the term before so I was wondering what exactly that meant (and just haven't gotten around to looking about online yet.)

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I was trying to find Collie-related links before I posted about some other uncommon Collie coloring, but I keep finding this great Aussie site with the info I need!! (My mom is the color genetics whiz, but I can never get her on the internet to share her knowledge ...)

Piebald spotting. Looks like a heavily white-factored dog, some so much so they are actually thought to be whites, but can come from non-white factored dogs, therefore proving it is not white factoring. We've had this in a few of our pups over the years but I sadly don't have any pics to share. The Aussies pictured in the link (scroll down to Piebald) portray it perfectly though ... although it's not a DQ in Collies like they state it is in the Aussie. No health issues related to this ...

White Aussies and Pattern Whites

Maltese. We had this to a small extent in a few of our blue merles - they had some Maltese spots mixed with their black spots, . We never had a fully 'Maltese' colored dog though ... that may be reserved for Aussies. Once again, no health issues related with this.

This is a small pic (sorry) but he had Maltese spots on his ears and above his eyes.

More info on the genetic aspect here at this great Aussie site again.

Dilute Aussies

YodelDogs

In Basenjis, we have 4 colors in the breed standard; red/white, brindle/white, black/white, and tricolor which is black with tan points and white markings. Our brindle must be black "tiger" stripes on a red background. A commonly occurring mismark pattern is refered to as "trindle" or black/brindle/white. At first glance these dogs look like a tri but they have brindle stripes in the tan areas. Decades ago, Basenji litters frequently contained cream/white puppies. Early breeders did not like the color and these pups were culled. Interbreeding creams with tris produced blue tris; blue with pale tan points and white markings. These dogs were gorgeous but early breeders just did not approve of this color either and the pups were usually culled. You may also see Basenjis in sable/white, with saddles, or even pied though it is unlikely you would see them in the show ring.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Just to throw out a rarity: Collies (also seen in Shelties, Aussies, Corgis ... just to name a few) have 'cryptic merles' (also known as 'phantom merles'). Basically, it's a dog that is genetically a merle (blue or sable), but the expression is hidden and the dog appears to be a tricolor or sable, lacking the typical merle pattern. Although there is usually a merled spot somewhere (some showing more than others), to the untrained eye, the dog is labeled as a tricolor or a sable, yet is really a blue merle or a sable merle.
Is that only for cardis?

I've never heard of any merle pemmie, but there was a time when the two breeds were likely bred to each other, so merle could be way back and pop up occasionally, but I tend to think not. I haven't kept up on all of pemmie genetics, so feel free to correct me.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Xena the wonder-mutt is a brindle, as you know. She had brothers and sisters who were variety as well. One black, the rest were white and/or white with black spots.

I don't think that fits with the spirit of this thread, though. I just wanted to include a mutt :)

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Is that only for cardis?

I've never heard of any merle pemmie, but there was a time when the two breeds were likely bred to each other, so merle could be way back and pop up occasionally, but I tend to think not. I haven't kept up on all of pemmie genetics, so feel free to correct me.
What I read said Corgi, didn't list the variety, but I'd assume it would be Cardis, where the merle is a normal color. These are just variances on the existing colors, not rare colors in the breeds. A merle Pem would be rare in its own right, much less having a color rarity IN the rare color! ;)

Members online

No members online now.