The chickens live!

Romy

Taxiderpy
We had a near mishap with the chickens today, and I am sooo glad for obedience training.

I let them out of their hutch so they could forage for a few hours while the rain let up. When they come out, I have to put Charlie up because he has such crazy high bird drive he will (and has) bust head first through our gate to get at them.

Strider I keep out because he doesn't get obsessive with them. He will watch them and get wound up, but he won't try to get out of the paddock and kill them. Mind you, his prey drive gets VERY turned on by birds, he will kill and eat wild birds on off leash walks.

Anyway, two of our hens flew over the fence into the dog paddock. All I saw was a blur of borzoi and chickens squawking and flapping frantically. I was standing about 50 yards away on the outside of the paddock. I yelled "Strider leave it!", pretty much expecting a couple of dead chickens.

He surprised me.

Strider froze. So I called out "Strider down", and he flopped into a down instantly even with the birds running in circles around him like a couple of ninnies. Then I called out for him to stay. He held that down stay for the 10 minutes it took me to round up the chickens, go out of sight into the house, and get him some ground beef as a reward.

In light of his behavior today, we will be working on building a major strong leave it for our chickens. I didn't think he had it in him, but he proved today that he can switch it off if I ask him to. He wants to please us that much. I think there is a lot of potential for him to be able to ignore them if they come through the fence again without a direct ordering at that second. Not that I will ever trust him 100% but I think he has it in him, and chickens aren't the smartest about learning from their own mistakes.

protodog

So, when are you going to start putting some obedience titles on this boy? First the squirrel and now the chickens--he really is amazing.

Romy

Taxiderpy
You know, people have suggested it. I need to go and watch some obedience trials in person to see how it's done. They way it has been explained to me never sounds much fun, but neither did conformation showing and we ended up really liking that.

He's funny about "working" too. He tends to think that when he's in uniform, he must be ultra serious Mr. Perfect Behavior, which is great. Then I take his uniform off and his brain falls out, lol. That's what surprised me so much about this situation. He wasn't "working", just playing around in the dog paddock.

Ha ha, he likes to embarrass me at shows. At the borzoi specialty two weekends ago he sat every 5 steps in the show ring. And every single time I got him to stand after he sat he jumped up and licked my forehead. He never did that before, ever. Then when the judge when to examine him, he jumped up and licked the judges forehead too. :eek::eek: :rofl1:

The judge told me he liked Strider's attitude. :rofl1: Needless to say, we won no points.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Great job to both of you! Shows not only how hard you have worked with Strider, but how much respect he must have for you.

Members online

No members online now.