My 8 week old puppy has worms!!!

tdog7879

My 8 week aussie pup has little white worms. I did get some OTC dewormer and gave it to him and a bunch came out! But im still seeing some here and there. These worms appear to be about a 1/4 and seem to be flat as they reach out. He is going to the vet tomorow....just wanted opinions on what it might be.

Also while doing more research on australin sheperds, i came across several different articals saying that heart worm med can be harmful for this breed if they have a certain gene that they are born with. Can anyone give me a little bit more info on this!

Thanks

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Hi and welcome!

The gene referred to is the MDR1 mutation and makes those dogs/breeds very sensitive to ivermectin, which is commonly found in Heartguard and things of that nature. If you use products like Interceptor, you'll be fine. They use a different ingredient that has been proven safe for MDR1-affected dogs and is just an overall better (in my opinion) product for any dog. Drontal (a wormer) is fine to give to Aussies. It's not uncommon for pups to have worms, though a breeder should have wormed their litter a few times before sending them home.

Cant' wait to see pictures of your pup! Where did you get him from?

tdog7879

Hi and welcome!

The gene referred to is the MDR1 mutation and makes those dogs/breeds very sensitive to ivermectin, which is commonly found in Heartguard and things of that nature. If you use products like Interceptor, you'll be fine. They use a different ingredient that has been proven safe for MDR1-affected dogs and is just an overall better (in my opinion) product for any dog. Drontal (a wormer) is fine to give to Aussies. It's not uncommon for pups to have worms, though a breeder should have wormed their litter a few times before sending them home.

Cant' wait to see pictures of your pup! Where did you get him from?
Thanks for the quick reply and answering all my questions.. The breeder was a guy in NC which was a little iffy cause he had 47 dogs all aussies..Kinda wierd in my opinion? Ant how he said he did deworm the pups a couple of times but it was some stuff from a feed store he also said he gave the pup his 8 week shot??? I hope so. Anyways i will post some pics ASAP. But i do have more ??? if you have some free time.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Thanks for the quick reply and answering all my questions.. The breeder was a guy in NC which was a little iffy cause he had 47 dogs all aussies..Kinda wierd in my opinion? Ant how he said he did deworm the pups a couple of times but it was some stuff from a feed store he also said he gave the pup his 8 week shot??? I hope so. Anyways i will post some pics ASAP. But i do have more ??? if you have some free time.
Why don't you post the rest of the questions, there's lots of people here that can help!

tdog7879

Why don't you post the rest of the questions, there's lots of people here that can help!
Ok...is sentinel safe for the aussie breed?
the breeder recomened using a dog from a feeder store and after doing more reserch the dog food had alot of by products in it!!! So we decied to go with canidae all life stages...need opinions on this.
Also the pup does seem to sleep alot but does get up and play but more sleep then anything.....is this normal in a 8 week old pup?

Thanks

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
oh my goodness your puppy is adorable!! <3

about the worms, no worries, go to the vet and he will be able to get a fecal sample of his poop and send you home with a couple of days of meds depending on what worms it is and then your pup will be fit as a fiddle :)

canidea is a GREAT food for your puppy :) a lot of people here feed it to their dogs. foods like that, with no by-products, colors, fillers (wheat etc..) are usually the best for the health of your dog :)

and your puppy is absolutely precious, I love blue merles

I would hurry up with the vet visit tho! from the sounds of it, he came from a notsogood breeder, so he might have some health problems that he will need to be treated for

tdog7879

oh my goodness your puppy is adorable!! <3

about the worms, no worries, go to the vet and he will be able to get a fecal sample of his poop and send you home with a couple of days of meds depending on what worms it is and then your pup will be fit as a fiddle :)

canidea is a GREAT food for your puppy :) a lot of people here feed it to their dogs. foods like that, with no by-products, colors, fillers (wheat etc..) are usually the best for the health of your dog :)

and your puppy is absolutely precious, I love blue merles

I would hurry up with the vet visit tho! from the sounds of it, he came from a notsogood breeder, so he might have some health problems that he will need to be treated for
Thanks...... he has an apointment tomorow!

tdog7879

So does antone no if sentinel safe for this breed?
I just want to make sure the vet that im going no's what he/she is talking about!

bubbatd

Welcome and I'm sorry about your pup . I always checked the Mom's stool before breeding and can truthfully say that none of my pups ever had worms ! I always did 3 checks before they went home and was furious when their vets would say " all pups have worms " and would fill the with meds !

tdog7879

just an update. Riley has tape tapeworms and a internal parasite called coccidia :( But other than that he is well ...treatment has already begun!
We also went with Interceptor for heart worm meds and got frontline for fleas.

Thanks again ....more questions coming!

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
Did you get to see both parents? Did both parents look like your puppy in regards to how they were colored?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Someone with 47 dogs that sends home a pup with tapeworms and coccidia is NOT someone you want to deal with in the future. Sounds like this guy is an Aussie puppymill.

I hope your guy recovers quickly and you could use Sentinel but since you're already using Interceptor, I don't know why you would double up? Interceptor also protects against intenstinal worms, or at least the most common ones.

Canidae...be careful with this. Canidae is not as good of a food as it was a couple years ago; they shifted the ingredients and a LOT of people have had issues with it since. If you can, give us a list of what your feed store sells (if that's the only place you can get your food) and we can tell you what might be good choices. Otherwise, let us know what type of pet stores are in your area and we can help you pick something out from there as well.

Myself, I've had great results with my Aussie on Innova (The Healthiest Pet Foods in the World – Natural & Organic Pet Food – Natura Pet Products). The website has a store finder feature as well.

Sammgirl, with Aussies, there isn't going to be anything the coat color will tell you, since Aussies have such varying colorations.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
just an update. Riley has tape tapeworms and a internal parasite called coccidia :( But other than that he is well ...treatment has already begun!
We also went with Interceptor for heart worm meds and got frontline for fleas.

Thanks again ....more questions coming!
Kenya had coccidia when I adopted her also. the medicine for coccidia for us was a powder and its very yucky, so much sure to get some yummy moist food so he eats it up :) ground beef also works well for that kind of thing
oh and when he poops, pick it up, and spray bleach on the area if you can.. coccidia will live in the ground and come back.

tdog7879

/QUOTE]
Someone with 47 dogs that sends home a pup with tapeworms and coccidia is NOT someone you want to deal with in the future. Sounds like this guy is an Aussie puppymill.
he had dewormed them but i guess OTA dewormer does not worm on tapeworms. This guy lives for his dogs ..he was some guy in the country and he said he only leave his house to go get dog food. There was only 2 litters out of 47 dogs so im not sure...if it was an aussie mill? He did offer at anytime if the dog got sick that he would take him back and nurse him back to health...But that might just be BS
I hope your guy recovers quickly and you could use Sentinel but since you're already using Interceptor, I don't know why you would double up? Interceptor also protects against intenstinal worms, or at least the most common ones.
I just wanted to make sure sentinel was safe for the aussie breed...Got interceptor for this maybe next month ill go with the sentinel
Canidae...be careful with this. Canidae is not as good of a food as it was a couple years ago; they shifted the ingredients and a LOT of people have had issues with it since. If you can, give us a list of what your feed store sells (if that's the only place you can get your food) and we can tell you what might be good choices. Otherwise, let us know what type of pet stores are in your area and we can help you pick something out from there as well.
I did some research on this and there is some mix reviews..so far so good..Thanks for the heads up!!.. Also i live in virginia beach so there is a lot of pet stores in this area....Thanks again
Myself, I've had great results with my Aussie on Innova (The Healthiest Pet Foods in the World – Natural & Organic Pet Food – Natura Pet Products). The website has a store finder feature as well.

Sammgirl, with Aussies, there isn't going to be anything the coat color will tell you, since Aussies have such varying colorations.
what are you getting at???
Thanks again for all your help and advise.

tdog7879

Kenya had coccidia when I adopted her also. the medicine for coccidia for us was a powder and its very yucky, so much sure to get some yummy moist food so he eats it up :) ground beef also works well for that kind of thing
oh and when he poops, pick it up, and spray bleach on the area if you can.. coccidia will live in the ground and come back.
We have been removing all of his poo but didnt no about the bleach trick....Thanks for the tip

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Sammgirl's question about whether the pup looks like his parents in terms of coat color is skewed. Aussies, especially those with merle coats, very rarely look just like their parents, so it's not a good question to ask if you're trying to determine parentage.

Also, I would recommend you stick with Interceptor. It's just a better product with a better safety track record.

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
It is a good question if you're trying to determine if the pup is a lethal white. Which, since both puppy's parents are merle, it most certainly is a lethal white.

I'm not a collie person, but I know a little bit about genetics. I'm not ignorant enough to assume that two merles look alike regarding exact coloration.

Members online

No members online now.