Possible Pup Rescue--Advice--Yes Again

A few of you may remember my story from quite a while ago about my ex con relative who had pit puppies on my mothers farm he is watching over (he has horses on the property but no one is living there)--anways luckily he found homes for all of the pups except one (which i am working on a friend who would like a second dog but who's husband is not yet open to the idea)--anyways I have been cleaning out my mothers house as we had to put it on the market. The relative came over to feed the horses and again asked me if I was still in contact with my local no kill shelter (which is where we got Wrigley) and if they were still taking pups. Unfortunately he has pups again at his house currently and cannot find anyone to take them. I said that yes I would take them and either find them homes myself or take them to the no kill shelter (there is none in that area--the humane society is high kill)--it is a very poor county and no one is adopting right now. So even though I wasn't planning on going up this weekend I'm going--and anticipate coming back with 3 8 wk old white GSD mix pups.

I have already found a potential home for one with a co workers mother. Do you think I should keep them for a week and see if I can find homes myself or do you think I should take them straight away (well with the exception of the one pup that we most likely have a home for) to the shelter? I am rather insane to get involved in all of this--but I want whats best for the pups. I think I may be a bit too choosy when it comes to homes though. And then the worst thought--what if I fall in love with one of the pups and want to keep one....argh--3 dogs is too many for me I think...

My other situation is that my mothers dog is still on her property--he is a chow/lab mix and is around 9-10 years old. He has been outside his entire life (with ability to get into a barn with hay and what not)--My relative has been taking care of him feeding him giving him attention daily ect--but now the house is on the market. I will not consider giving him to a shelter. I want to bring him home with me but there are two problems--he has never ever been inside (I remember when it would get very cold dad and I would try to pull him in and he would absolutely refuse and dig in his paws)--and if he were to stay outside we have a postage stamp size backyard--I would say 20-30 of my yard could fit into my mom's property--so I don't really think that is a solution as well. He hasn't had a bath in years, is somewhat food agressive (not to humans but to other dogs and cats) has never had his nails clipped--does horribly in the car (rapid panting drooling throwing up)--
Such dilemas..........

2BlackDogs

If you can handle it, I'd rehome the pups myself. I don't think it's bad you are really picky about where the pups go, you just want them to have a good home. I don't blame you for that.
If it's just 3 pups and you may have already found a home for 1, I don't think it would too bad. I'd be worried I'd end up falling for 1 too and wanting to keep it. But I know my limits and I'm at it.

I'm not sure what to tell you about your mom's dog still roaming the property. If it is not an inside dog, I guess setting up something outside would be the best. I see from your post you have limited space for him outisde though. He sounds like he has alot of issues that will take alot of time to work on. I'd hate to have to make that choice.

If you do take the pups, take the mother as well and have her spayed as part of the deal. Otherwise you'll be rehoming every six months, not my thing.

For the older dog, post some ads in local farm stores, talk to rural vets in the area, maybe someone would have a space for a farm dog. Or rescue if there's one that will take him on. It might be stressful for him to be rehomed as a housedog, but you never know, he might learn to enjoy the cushy life. First step though would be to get him to a vet, shaved down if needed and checked over of course.

Lana

Thanks for the advice--I have already offered money to have the the pit female spayed (as I didnt know he had another female)--and he refused. Do you know how much a spay is generally? Maybe at a rescue organization or mobile vet or something less expensive? I don't exactly have hundreds laying around for dogs that are not even my own (my own dogs my husband pays all of the vet care for--but I'm pretty sure he would say I was on my own to give the ex con relative money)--
Maybe I could find somewhere to take them in myself and have it done in the area--I'll have to look into that.

It's hard to think about my mothers dog going to another home however I think that the farm dog life is probably a good one. Heck I'd even pay someone (the right someone however) to take him and give him a good home. I like the idea of taking him in myself but I'm just not sure how it would work logistically with his issues and our lack of space. He is used to wandering around all of my mothers acerage--not being cooped up in a small fenced in yard--perhaps we could try it out on a trial basis--and see how he does--he is older and low energy--perhaps if we got him a good dog house and took him for walks daily he would adjust--I don't know I worry.

I think I will try to give it a week or so to rehome the pups myself--then if there are any left we will look to other avenues like the no kill shelter. at least 3 isn't that many!

Members online

No members online now.