Portuguese Podengo Pequeno

JacksonsMom

Ok, I'm interested in them.

They seem like such neat little dogs.

But I'm kind of confused... most breeders sites I find are small dogs... but when I youtube them I am seeing much larger dogs. Is there 2 different types?

But THIS FACE:

They have a smooth variety as well.

They seem like terriers to me, but apparently they're hounds according to some breeders sites? But the AKC lists them in misc. class. http://www.akc.org/breeds/portuguese_podengo_pequeno/index.cfm

Just trying to learn more and doing some research. :)

Aleron

They are a primitive breed that was used for hunting and come in three sizes. The small ones are sort of dwafy looking and the other two look similar to Ibizian Hounds. I have seen tons of the little ones and a few of the other sizes.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
A friend of mine has the medios (medium sized version) and they seem like cool dogs. She courses with them!

I got to meet two 4 month olds at the local coursing/terrier racing fun day last weekend at her place. They were adorable trying out terrier racing for fun:

She also has a litter of medios on the ground (along with a litter of American Hairless Terriers) and livestreams them periodically here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/black-sheep-dogs

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
But I'm kind of confused... most breeders sites I find are small dogs... but when I youtube them I am seeing much larger dogs. Is there 2 different types?
There are three sizes of podengo.

Pequeno- small

Medio- Medium

Grande- large

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
The National Specialty for the Pequeno was at my dog club a couple of years ago. They are really neat dogs. They did both agility and rally demos with a couple of the dogs.

The price of puppies in the US is REALLY high, so I asked a friend in Portugal about it. He said "rediculous!", the price in Portugal is one fifth the asking price from the US breeders.

He used to breed those, now he breeds Shelties and Laekenois.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
My friend with the medios also has a grande - I just couldn't remember the name of the larger version. LOL She imported the dam of the current litter direct from Portugal.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
There are three types as was already mentioned. I've met a few and absolutely ADORE them. Portuguese Podengo is actually what some of the Ibizan folks think Joey might have a little of in him.

It's funny you posted this thread actually. I was JUST talking to my mother inlaw last night about how I think a Portuguese Podengo Pequeno might be a perfect dog for her when she eventually gets another one.

Members online

No members online now.